WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Anybody do a thru hike without mail drop offs?

I'm planning a thru hike this year in early to mid April and cannot do mail drop offs, is it easy enough to restock on food and suppies along the trail in towns? Any info would be much appreciated!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This has been talked about extensively here on WB. Do a search and you'll find a wealth of info on the resupply option, along with Jack's article on resupplying (under the articles forum).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

it can be done. I did my 97 thruhike without a single mail drop. And there are a lot more opportunities now to resupply than there were back then. But as Blister said... do a search on the forum for this. There are hundreds of posts to give you more specifics.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

i had mail drops but there were a few times completely restockd in town. so id say u could do the whole thng jus goin into town and doin ur thing.

Garlic
    Images

Food you can definitely find enough of on the way. I did a couple of drops for new shoes and socks and guidebook sections. Most hikers do a few drops.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhawk View Post
    I'm planning a thru hike this year in early to mid April and cannot do mail drop offs, is it easy enough to restock on food and suppies along the trail in towns? Any info would be much appreciated!!
    yes. i never did mail drops for food

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mail Drops???

You don't need to do mail drops for food. Going into a town to resupply is more fun. Happy trails.
    Grampie-N->2001

plus somtimes ur mood chnges and wht u sent urself isnt wht ur tryn to eat at tht moment..

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    plus somtimes ur mood chnges and wht u sent urself isnt wht ur tryn to eat at tht moment..
    He said, "Plus sometimes your mood changes and waht you sent yourself isn't what you're trying to eat at that moment". Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    He said, "Plus sometimes your mood changes and waht you sent yourself isn't what you're trying to eat at that moment". Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.

He said - "He said, "Plus sometimes your mood changes and what you sent yourself isn't what you're trying to eat at that moment". Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow. "

Thank you and have a pleasant today.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woodhawk View Post
    We're starting the approach trail March 27th and will be completely resupplying via towns. Don't foresee any issues with this and gives us the freedom to enter and exit town when we choose, instead of adhering to post office hours (with the exception of missing the grocery store by arriving @ midnight or whatever).
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Only sort of mailing i intend to do is basically a bounce box for some winter stuff
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

In 2005 the only mail drop I did was for food prior to entering Smokies. Everything else I purchased in towns along the way.

Images

No need to do mail-drops, you'll need to switch out cold/warm weather gear after Mt Rogers and then again before the Whites. Re-supply is easy, you could be completely brain-dead and still figure it out. I never planned anything, that's half the fun!

I leave april 2011 and have done zero planning as far as daily miles or mail drops

Mail drops seem like a hastle to me, but "bouncing" supplies seems to be a lot more convenient: buy extra food and send ahead instead of having somebody at home mail it where-ever they think you may be.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Any place though that a mail drop would be preferred to a on trail business that would save the hassle of going to town and resupplying. I have extra food here and am definitely planning a drop to Neels Gap, and the NOC. ANy other convenience induced spots. I'm not really interested in any "must see towns" I'm broke, and find that although towns offer something, they tend to take all my money. I'm trying to go far on little this year and want to avoid towns besides for a shower or the occasional AYCE.

++ New Posts ++