WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mess kit for a couple ...

I have a .85L/28 oz "Tea Kettle" - essentially a pot with a pour spout and a cover. It's compact and light, but I wonder if I should size up to a 1.3L / 44 oz pot.

I've mostly solo hiked, and that tea kettle has been more than sufficient in getting me a cup of coffee and bowl of oatmeal in the morning, and a hot meal at night. I suppose I could boil multiple pots of water when needed, instead of one , but that adds time, fuel consumption ...

Did you hike as a couple? What did you use, how did you use it, and what would you do differently?

Thanks,
    Willy
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

My wife and I usually hike together, here's what we do.
    We bring the K-mart grease pot for cooking and for me to eat out of.
    My wife carries a pretty good size metal cup. Sometimes we put 1/2 the food in her cup so we can eat at the same time and other times we take turns eating out of the pot. We each carry a lexan spoon. For warm weather we use an alcohol stove and during cold weather we use an MSR Simmerlite and use a homemade wind screen with either stove. In addition, I made a cozy for the pot. Having the metal cup, sometimes we'll make a hot drink right in the cup.
    Hope that helps.

Garlic
    Images

When my wife and I hiked together with a stove (we're no-cook now), we used a 1.3L Evernew pot and a single plastic cup. I wouldn't use anything smaller than that for two.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    My wife and I usually hike together, here's what we do. We bring the K-mart grease pot for cooking and for me to eat out of.
    Those are pretty good volume methinks. I'd think a couple could get a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatsmeal each outta that?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    When my wife and I hiked together with a stove (we're no-cook now), we used a 1.3L Evernew pot and a single plastic cup. I wouldn't use anything smaller than that for two.
    Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was thinking. Besides having the volume for sufficient water, it'd be nice to have the size to do actual cooking occasionally.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Images

We use the 1400ml Snow Peak pot. I made a cozy for the pot and the lid, and she eats from the pot and I from the lid. The pot is large enough for a good-size meal. We both bring a smaller mug for hot drinks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We use the Snowpeak titanium 1400 set which works fine for 2. And bring one orikasa bowl.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

i was planning on using the snow peak trek combo titanium (13oz total) for myself and the gf, this set includes the 1400 and the 900, along with both lids/frying pans, was planning on using this for both cooking and for our mugs....is this a good plan or overkill? just wondering if we might be better off with just one pot (the 1400) and a couple smaller mugs?

boot

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    just wondering if we might be better off with just one pot (the 1400) and a couple smaller mugs?
    That's the way I'm leaning based on the feedback above. Tho some of the folks in this thread might suggest only brining the one pot and one mug.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    just wondering if we might be better off with just one pot (the 1400) and a couple smaller mugs?
    I can drink from the 900 just fine, but the 1400 is a little big for a mug. We usually bring the 1400 to cook, then I bring my 700 with a cozy for a mug (and it can be used to heat water for drinks while the dinner cooks in the cozy.) My wife likes a plastic insulated mug with a lid.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    ....My wife likes a plastic insulated mug with a lid.
    So does mine, but NEVER put a ramen in it. You never get rid of that taste.

We did not bring the plastic mug on our thru hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    I have a .85L/28 oz "Tea Kettle" - essentially a pot with a pour spout and a cover. It's compact and light, but I wonder if I should size up to a 1.3L / 44 oz pot.

I've mostly solo hiked, and that tea kettle has been more than sufficient in getting me a cup of coffee and bowl of oatmeal in the morning, and a hot meal at night. I suppose I could boil multiple pots of water when needed, instead of one , but that adds time, fuel consumption ...

Did you hike as a couple? What did you use, how did you use it, and what would you do differently?

Thanks,
    Willy

As a couple we carry 1 1.3 titanium pot, 2 titanium coffee cups, and 1 plastic bowl. We cook the meal in the pot, scoop some into my bowl for me to eat, and he eats from the pot. Before the meal, we boil water in the pot, each have a coffee or tea, and then cook the meal. Works perfectly for us. Keeps our cups very clean since only hot drinks go in them.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Get a medium size Kelly Kettle and a "Companion Burner" for alcohol use when not using wood for fuel.

Journal Entries

grease pot= 4 cups water. Never eat in pot, because never want to clean it. Provides coffee and oatmeal /grits for two . Walmart has line of new bowls/plates/cups that come 4 for $1. The bowls are nice and weigh only 0.85 oz each. great to eat out of , an can lick clean easily.

Go with the bigger size pot and you will both be happier

Noob

We use a Pinnacle Dualist set. Yeah, it is a bit on the heavy side but I don't carry it, it goes in her pack.

++ New Posts ++