WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need Help Packing my Frameless pack

I just got a Golite Jam, and although I know the basics of packing a frameless pack (lighter at bottom and outside, heavier high and tight) I was looking for a thread or any tutorial on packing it. How I've packed it so far seems to put a little more weight on the shoulders than I expected. Any help or advice would be awesome! Doing an overnighter tomorrow.

Little by little, one travels far. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Not in english, but the video might help.

For some reason it's not showing up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBObD9nHH1s

Images

Default golite pack

I line my GoLite Breeze (aka Ray Way) with a 36" RidgeRest Pad formed in a cylinder. Then I slide in the trash compactor bag (waterproof liner). Sleeping bag on the bottom, fill with other stuff, then I fold down the liner. Leaving a bit of a crater on top to plop my food bag. Then it's all cinched down with the top strap. When I have a tent, it goes in the bottom under the compactor bag - as the tent is usually packed wet.

I have a pic in my gallery wearing the pack. "Bruce Trail, Ontario 2006"
    Last edited by Llama Legs; 02-17-2011 at 19:41. Reason: more info

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    I line my GoLite Breeze (aka Ray Way) with a 36" RidgeRest Pad formed in a cylinder. Then I slide in the trash compactor bag (waterproof liner). Sleeping bag on the bottom, fill with other stuff, then I fold down the liner. Leaving a bit of a crater on top to plop my food bag. Then it's all cinched down with the top strap. When I have a tent, it goes in the bottom under the compactor bag - as the tent is usually packed wet.

I have a pic in my gallery wearing the pack. "Bruce Trail, Ontario 2006"

This is how I do it too. I use a cut down blue foam pad as a tube that everything else goes inside.

I also have Golite Jam that use from time to time and I simply make my short Ridgerest (and POE pad in the winter) into tube and slide it down into my pack and this gives the Jam a frame from which to work with.

Then goes in the packliner (trash bag), first thing that I put in is my quilt, sleep clothes and anything else that must stay dry. I then fold down the packliner and seal it. On top of the sealed liner goes everything else.

In the outside pocket I put all of my "wet" and ready needed items-- rain gear, windshirt, tarp and FAK. In the side pockets I will put the tent stakes and my alcohol fuel for the stove.

Golite Jam, insert Rolled a CCF pad, let it expand and stuff everything inside.

Images

I have a golite pinnacle. I first put roll up by foam pad and put it in there, this gives the pack shape. Then I just load the rest of my gear in the middle and in the outer pocket. Pretty simple setup.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

I have a 2010 Jam. I removed the built in back pad, but I use my Tyvek ground sheet as my support now. It goes in first, trash bag with everything else after that, and wet/needed items in the front pocket. Works for me.

I've been using those plastic yard sale signs as my frame with good success.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

++ New Posts ++