WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting off at/near Unionville, NY

Hello,

This will probably be the first of many questions as I plan a section hike this summer from Harper's Ferry to the NJ/NY border, so thanks in advance for the advice. I've got a pretty narrow time window and I'm trying to get as close to a specific mileage goal as possible (balance between setting a challenging goal and giving myself enough time to enjoy the trail) which would spit me out right around the Unionville, NY area.

Essentially I just need to get to the NYC area to catch a flight home and it looks like NJ transit will probably be the easiest way to get there. I'm aware of the 197 stops near Vernon and Greenwood Lake, but I'd really have to push harder than I'd like to make it there in the amount of time I have. Does anyone know of any economical options, no matter how indirect, of getting access to the NJ transit system from the trail near Unionvile, NY?

Thanks again for the advice,
    matt

May have to get over to Port Jervis to catch the train into NYC.

Backpacking light, feels so right.

There is no public transportation in Unionville itself.

Serial Hiker
    Images

I believe I remember seeing that a bus runs by the trailhead of the State Line Trail which leads down to Greenwood Lake from the actual end of the hike in NJ.

Here is what I've found.

Here is the bus schedule.

Enjoy!
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

When I did a section from DWG to Unionville we parked a car in Unionville and wanted to get to DWG to start. We did have two cars so we shuttled but the Mayor did offer a ride if I remember correctly. Of course for the cost of gas money and if he cant help I'm sure he knows who could. I dont think he is the mayor there anymore but he loves the hiking crowd and and when I was at his place he was in the process of setting up a hostel in his basement. We were just looking for a safe place to park a car for a couple days when we got there and I inquired in the town office and they called the mayor at his house. He came and met us, fed us and let us park at his house. Very cool guy but I dont know how to get a hold of him unless you are in town. Anyone here have his #?
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Dick isnt the mayor anymore, but he and his son Butch do run a hostel. Formerly the "Mayors House" i think they called it the "Doghouse" this past year. They're a great group of folks that do lots of shuttling, and as i recall told us if we needed anything at all, to just call and they'd come get us on the trail anywhere in NJ/NY at a per-mile rate. I'm sure they'd be the best to call. If they cant help I bet they'd find someone who could. Honestly, theres not much else in Unionville.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning on getting off at County Road 519 and then walking the 7-8 miles into Port Jervis. That would afford me a little more time to get there and possibly a free shower at the state park HQ on my way out.

++ New Posts ++