WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your favorite part of the trail?

I can't wait to start hiking the AT this, I've never been on it before. So What's your favorite part of the trail and why? Just curious I guess...

Images

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like the trail through the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Absolutely beautiful views, alpine hiking, waterfalls, rugged terrain -- it's just incredible. And there's an extensive network of trails through the area that allows exploration almost everywhere. The trail through Maine is also very remote and wild. I suggest these two states as a start if you're trying to get interested in the AT.

Images

I love the whole AT section in Maine but especially the Mahoosucs because of the change in terrain (up and down, in and out of boulders). I find each state or section I cover has something to offer that's different. I love it all!
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

the south i realy like... lots of neat views large mountains .. maine is beautiful and all but i always enjoy the southern sections

I'll let you know when I finish section hiking all of this in Sept.

My favorite part (or thing) about the trail is that it has continuously challenged me year after year to get in shape. There's no way I would be in as good a shape I am right now if I did not have that challenge.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I always loved the Whites until I had to thru hike through them. They are HARD (I've done them twice now, NOBO and SOBO). I would never do them as an "intro" to the AT. Its the toughest part of the trail - that and the Mahoosucs. You'd have to be a glutton for bodily punishment - though I do agree the scenery is awesome, if you can get by the toughness of the terrain.

But for more modest terrain and nice scenery, I really liked Vermont. I also like the balds of NC. And southern VA
    Last edited by Blissful; 02-22-2011 at 20:53.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    I'll let you know when I finish section hiking all of this in Sept.

My favorite part (or thing) about the trail is that it has continuously challenged me year after year to get in shape. There's no way I would be in as good a shape I am right now if I did not have that challenge.

Congratulations on nearly finishing!! Terrific

And the last statement is excellent.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by jthue View Post
    I can't wait to start hiking the AT this, I've never been on it before. So What's your favorite part of the trail and why? Just curious I guess...
    Because the time of year when you're hiking has a bearing, I'll give 2 answers:

August-September: White Mountains, NH for the above-treeline setting and Maine for the mountains, lakes, ponds, moose, loons, balsam firs, lush green woods and to top it off, the mighty K

May: NC-TN from Davenport Gap to Damascus, VA for the bald mountains, colorful wildflowers, spring greenery.

Images

Default favorite part?

the very next mile !

The Roans are probably the best part of the trail imho. Why? Wait til you get there. See for yourself.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

Vermont was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen until I got to New Hampshire, which was my favorite part of the trail until I got to Maine. Maine was not only beautiful, but it was the only part of the trail that had a truly "wild" feel to it. It was rugged and remote and after having seen hundreds and hundreds of people in the Whites, it was exciting to be out in the middle of nowhere for a little while.

Great answers so far! I live in Utah now, but lived in Charlottesville, VA for a while so I know I will be partial to that part of the trail. Charlottesville and the Bluer Ridge is gorgeous! I can't wait to see all the rest of these places! God be thanked for incredible nature!

Fellow hiker trash...they will make the trip

Images

The places everyone has mentioned are all great. There are also some really nice stretches between New Jersey and southern Massachusetts. The trail has a lot to offer.

Images

My favorite parts of the trail are the parts I have worked on.
    It could be a check dam, a water bar or a new step. Any opportunity for me to give back! I'm also partial to old bloody!

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

It's hard for me to say, honestly. There are the obvious ones: Roan Highlands, Whites, Maine, etc., but I enjoyed every section. I think everywhere has something to offer.

jthue Southern Maine and the Whites will make you feel most at home if your from Utah

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Easier to say what parts don't you like. I agree on all of Maine and the whites. Also, Roan, Hump, Smokies, Grayson highlands, Wesser, McAfee/Tinker/Dragons tooth.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Maine in general as it has such varied terrain and the usage is a lot lower than many other places. There is not much development on either side of the trail so it feels a lot wilder. The whites are great but they get a lot of day use and to some folks, the crowds can take a bit of getting used to. The whites and many parts of Maine are not neccesarilly a good place to start out without conditioning as the trail bed tends to be rough and the trails tend to go straight up rather than switchbacking. One exception is the first stretch of the trail southbound of baxter in the 100 mile wilderness, but it sure makes up for it after Whitecap!

my favorite short section would be the NY/CT line to Bulls Bridge packs a lot of varity into a short distance mts, fields, river, water falls, covered bridge, etc. Long section would be the White Mts of NH for the views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++