WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bears in NJ

Angry Bears in NJ

This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping some of you can help me. My husband and I are planning a thru hike next year, so this year to prepare we are doing a series of short hikes that last a few days. We live in the tri-state area so our first section was going to be from the Delaware Water Gap in PA to Bear Mountain in NY. Every time we mention this to anyone we know all we get is warnings about bears!! These are from people who have not hiked the trail!! My question is: How bad is the bear situation in NJ? Is this something we really need to be extremely concerned about? Should we choose a different section for our first hike to avoid the situation? What can we do to ultimately prepare for this section if the "bear scares" are true???

Thanks for any help in this matter in advance!

Images

unless the hunt really drove the numbers down you will probably see a few bears, however, usually all you will get to see is their tails as they run in the opposite directions as fast as they can.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by queenbrooklyn View Post
    Is this something we really need to be extremely concerned about?
    If you're sloppy with your food, yes, be worried...although other rodents can be nearly as problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by queenbrooklyn View Post
    What can we do to ultimately prepare for this section if the "bear scares" are true???
    Protect your food. Hang it high with the PCT method or better. Use an odor proof bag, use it, and don't get your food scents on anything that's not inside it.

The whole issue of bears in NJ is not so much on the AT, but a problem with bears coming into neighborhoods. Yes, some of these neighborhoods are very close to the AT, but you have just as good of a chance of seeing bears in other parts of the AT, such as down south, through SNP or GSMNP.

So in a sense, the NJ bear issue is irrelevant to AT hikers or at least not more relevant than other sections of the AT.

Camping in NJ is restricted to designated camping areas only, and all of these places have metal bear boxes in which to put your food.

I did a day-hike in NJ a few years ago and saw a bear. We were having lunch on top of a ridge when the bear sauntered up, took one look at us, and turned his tail heading back downhill. Some in the group didn't even see him. I was the closest and the first to see him. The point was he wasn't interested in us even though we had our lunches out.

Enjoy your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    unless the hunt really drove the numbers down you will probably see a few bears, however, usually all you will get to see is their tails as they run in the opposite directions as fast as they can.
    I thought the bear problem in NJ was related to the fact that you cannot hunt bears in NJ. Is that incorrect?

I hiked thru NJ in May 2007 and I saw one adolescent bear that was running for its life just like they do in SNP.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    I thought the bear problem in NJ was related to the fact that you cannot hunt bears in NJ. Is that incorrect?

I hiked thru NJ in May 2007 and I saw one adolescent bear that was running for its life just like they do in SNP.
    NJ just had a major bear hunt, hundreds were bagged. There is no yearly hunt, though.

Images

I have seen bear in every state that I have hiked in except NJ and NC.. but NJ is the only state that I had food stolen by a bear, go figure.. Between hiking and river trips I have spent about 50 nights in DWG in the last 7 years. You don't need to worry about bears too much, just take care of your food.

Images

L've only seen two bears in approx. 750 miles of hiking on the AT. The first was in Shenandoah NP but the best siting was just north of Delaware Water Gap. The bear and I looked at each other and then he sauntered off into the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    So in a sense, the NJ bear issue is irrelevant to AT hikers or at least not more relevant than other sections of the AT.
    I disagree with this. You are more likely to run into a bear in NJ than most other places on the trail. Because of this, you should take precautions, like protecting your food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Camping in NJ is restricted to designated camping areas only, and all of these places have metal bear boxes in which to put your food.
    I would strongly advise using the metal bear boxes where available.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    That is partly true. But another big reason for the exploding bear population in NJ is the fact that Moms are having on average three cubs instead of the national average of 2. Also, survival rates for cubs is also much higher. This is partly because of the abundance of food sources/garbage.

In one stretch in NJ on the AT this summer I saw two mama bears, one with one cub and one with two cubs. bot were just off the trail. they did NOT run away. The cubs ran up the trees and the mama bears rose up and stared at us as we walked by.

Honestly though, I was more wary of rattlesnakes in NJ. There were two that we almost stepped on. One right off the trail and one traveling down the trail right at us. The bears are much easier to see.

Images

I saw lots of bear on my hike last year. My favorite siting was in NJ. One morning as I left the Mohican Outdoor Center (10 m north of DWG) there were two cubs climbing a tree. Immediately the mama came over and grabbed the tree. She watched to be sure that I wasn't after her cubs, standing there with her arms around the tree trunk and the cubs up in the branches.

Like most every one has said, take care of your food, and don't go near cubs. The bears will usually run away

Images

I used to camp at DWG all the time during the 80's and 90's and never once saw a bear. Hell, it was all the damn rattlesnakes up there that we were always afraid of back then. Saw tons of 'em. Ate a couple of them too.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Right out of DWG we saw a Mom and two cubs treed just off the trail at Sunfish Pond. She made some noise and we walked past to show we weren't a threat. With a little more space between us we took some pics. We saw more bears in that section, but most were trying their best to get away. With a recent hunt they'll have more fear of people. If you are smart with your camp you shouldn't have any worries. Most hikers feel lucky to see bears in the woods. Enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

last summer I saw 17 bears on the trail in NY, NJ, PA 14 of them were in NJ

Images

My wife and I have hiked in that section numerous times, day hikes and overnighters of all lengths, and have never seen a bear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation What exactly are you afraid of?

> What can we do to ultimately prepare for this section if the "bear scares" are true???

This URL -- which SUPPORTS more killing of bears in Jersey -- is probably a good argument that there is NOT a danger from bears.

http://www.bachbio.com/njbears.htm

In support of the statement "Within the past two years, there have been several fatal or near-fatal black bear attacks in relatively close proximity to New Jersey."
    the writer mentions the following:
    "On July 2, 2000, a 24-year old female biathlete was attacked and killed by a black bear while training on a course near Quebec City, Canada"
    "On May 22, 2000, an experienced hiker was mauled and killed by a black bear in Tennessee"
    "On June 4, 2001, a black bear chased down, killed, and ate an 18-year old high school student in Canada."

The author apparently wants you to believe that Tennessee, Canada, and Quebec City are "in relatively close proximity to New Jersey" -- I hope he is not so stupid as to believe it himself!

Just ask yourself two questions:
    1) how many people have been killed by bears in New Jersey over the last century?
    HINT: the number can be counted on the fingers of a person without fingers.
    2) how many people been killed due to hunting in New Jersey between 1995 and 2005?
    Five.
    http://onlovinganimals.blogspot.com/...hunt-stop.html

If you're in New Jersey backcountry -- the most dangerous mammal isn't a bear -- it's a human that's a hunter. To be more afraid of bears than of hunters is to not correctly assess risks.

Images

If you are overly concerned about a bear encounter then perhaps the AT isn't the best place for you.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Dang.... From Springer to Kathadin I've only seen 1 bear in PA and 0 rattlesnakes.

I specifically have went out of my way looking for rattlesnakes and still haven't seen one.

I'll probably get bit now that I've said that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Dang.... From Springer to Kathadin I've only seen 1 bear in PA and 0 rattlesnakes.

I specifically have went out of my way looking for rattlesnakes and still haven't seen one.

I'll probably get bit now that I've said that.
    You are are in soooo much trouble!

Geo SOBO 10

I saw one bear while going thru in September. Most black bear will run off as soon as they see humans unless they have gotten into human food which compromises their nature. Once a black bear gets into human food they associate humans or at least human food with bear food. Bear are smart they don't want to get their own food if they can scare humans into giving up their own food. This being said most bear will run away, but if you encounter a compromised bear back up slowly and act big until the bear flees. Making loud noises can work, but some bear are immune. I encountered a bear this summer at Pinkham Notch that was compromised with two tags in its ear. Tator Chip, Veggie and I made loud noises and stood tall, the bear got the message.

Also watch out for Mother bear and cubs, they want to protect their young.
    Geo SOBO 10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++