WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ec.hiker View Post
    I or I should say we leave in less than thirty days march 5th I think I have a dome tent that I like it is a quest or something like that I can't remember right now. The rain fly does not go all the way to the ground. I have a ground sheet for it and am planning on bringing another tarp to string up above it to add extra protection from blowing wind and rain which I am not even sure if I will need anybody think that will work or should I just go ahead and buy a better tent which I really don't want to pay for our bags are rated for 20 degrees and we have bag liners that add 10 degrees If i do pick up a tent I am really considering the kelty grand messa. Oh ya by the way I don't think we are going to be staying in shelters much if at all privacy issues as in we are a new couple and I really don't want mice chewing up all my stuff
    It will work. Will it work well? Only you know that, or will find out in due time

Journal Entries
    Images

Guess we have much of this covered, kudos to spraying the tent with a hose in the back yard!

FYI cheap tents won't last three seasons. I took a manufacture dome tent and pitched it as a fort for Austin in the backyard. Even though it was three months under deep tall trees, it had UV holes all over the place.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Default tent for 7 day hike

Have a 9x7 dome tent from Sears, do you think would be ok for a 7day hike in the Virginia AT ? It will be myself and my son. Any and all information will be great, this will be our first time tere.

Journal Entries
    Images

read above posts - seam seal

stuff ok
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If your tent won't stand up to wind and keep you dry then get another shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, the biggest issue is weight of the total tent set-up. When you are on the trail it will end up as THE issue. It will possibly cause you to buy a new one tho the one you have works fine. it's a mental battle you will find real hard to beat and keep going up the trail.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ec.hiker View Post
    I or I should say we leave in less than thirty days march 5th I think I have a dome tent that I like it is a quest or something like that I can't remember right now. The rain fly does not go all the way to the ground. I have a ground sheet for it and am planning on bringing another tarp to string up above it to add extra protection from blowing wind and rain which I am not even sure if I will need anybody think that will work or should I just go ahead and buy a better tent which I really don't want to pay for our bags are rated for 20 degrees and we have bag liners that add 10 degrees If i do pick up a tent I am really considering the kelty grand messa. Oh ya by the way I don't think we are going to be staying in shelters much if at all privacy issues as in we are a new couple and I really don't want mice chewing up all my stuff
    Your tent will probably work if it doesn't leak. But with an added tarp, it probably is a couple of pounds heavier than a number of $150 possible replacements. If I had the money, I'd buy something that is new and weighs less than 4.5 pounds.

A 2 pound ultralight would be great on a thru hike. But okay $100-$150 four pound tents is what I would purchase if I were on a tight budget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++