WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Talking Protecting yourself from people

I'm planning my nobo thru hike in 2 weeks.I am starting solo and was thinking about bringing some sort of protection in the form of mace or pepper spray.Not to harm animals but moreso for creepy people who will not take no for an answer.

from looking online there are 100's of manufactures and brands.Was wondering what others used and found to be the most effective.

Images

I love pepper spray. Tastes like crap but sure adds heat to some dishes. But seriously, do you think you'll really need it? I believe theres way more weirdos out in the cities than there are on the trail. If you can walk around Boston fairly comfortably than you'll be more than okay on the trail.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

It doesn't matter if you're just trying to stop someone that merely creeps you out. It's not like you need some awesome can of pepper spray to stop a psychotic killer. Actually, I reverse that. You better get some really good stuff because if you spray someone just because they creeped you out, you may need it again when they try to kill you. So get a big can of bear spray. I forget what it's called, but you can easily find it if you google what's the best stuff for grizzlies.

Images

You will already have a knife on you. Why carry extra protection/gear?

Don't think it is worth it myself but if it will make you feel good to carry it, by all means do. I would stick with a small container. Get the highest pepper percentage you can find (may as well carry the good stuff!).

Keeping an eye out, pay attention and look like you know what you are doing. That will keep away most that might be thinking of doing something stupid. Don't think you will find much to be concerened with.

Enjoy the hike!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

A trekking pole makes a pretty decent defensive weapon. Better than pepper spray IMO.

Images

No easy answer to this since it depends more on your fears than what is real. You may be better off just hanging with a few other hikers, if possible, until you get comfortable. If you have bad vibes from anyone, move on. Carry the spray if it makes you feel comfortable, but I strongly doubt if you will have any reason to use it.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries

Thanks for everyones advice.I suppose i might lessen the load going without it.People always instill fear and make you feel as though you need body armour to leave the house.I will skip it and just use common sense and the community of hikers as support.Thanks again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    A trekking pole makes a pretty decent defensive weapon. Better than pepper spray IMO.
    Trekking pole for stabbing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Goat View Post
    People always instill fear and make you feel as though you need body armour to leave the house.
    And you're worried about other people creeping you out? You're creeping me out.

Journal Entries

hahaha @ camping dave. City swellers tend to be more creeped out by people whom choose to live in the woods for 6 months. They are so use to shootings and stabbings that the idea of isolating yourself in a world of wildlife would assure certain death without a weapon.

Images

Regardless of how you choose to protect yourself, please make sure you take the time to research the weapon laws of each of the states as they are going to differ. You will find that what is legal in one state will not be in another.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

if you need to calm an angry attacker why use pepper? wouldnt a cammamile spray or a st johns wart spray be more calming? carrying a weapon carrys such responsibilitys that it interfears with the footlooseness and fancyfreeness of a hike.
    matthewski

If you get bear spray get the kind that will spray more then five seconds

you cannot safley carry a weapon you have never fired. buy three and shoot one off in wind and one at night. remember that oxygen is the only cure for pepper spray. if you get it on you, strip and stand in a breeze. if in eyes, hold eyes open and flush with water.
    matthewski

Then there's always the ploy of talking about why you didn't bring a gun on the trail like all your friends had recommended. And your reason is because if you were going to kill someone you'd much rather make it up close and personal, and you get a visceral satisfaction in using a knife rather than an impersonal gun. If you feel threatened, trash talk is a weapon too.

Don't get wierded up everyone--this is just a joke...

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

One bad thing about pepper spray....if the wind is wrong you will only spray your self, in which case the attacker now has the advantage over you.... I've only been attacked by humans in the cities and then only rarely..maybe you've been watching way to many movies? Never had a problem with a human in the woods...

I am planning on bringing something myself. I do NOT think I will need it, but will have it on me to feel safe and sleep better at night. Someone told me to bring wasp spray b/c it shoots further. But I don't know where you would get a tiny can of wasp spray.

Everyone here tells me to bring a gun! I just laugh it off and I am sure some find it laughable to bring pepper spray. But isn't it sort of the same as wearing cotton? It may rain, it may not rain...
    "You just have to tell them that you have a hunger and a thirst. And you may not sit at the same banquet table as them, but you have a hunger and a thirst. So they shouldn't judge you."

You personal protection is your choice and should be matched with your skills, not your fears. Your standard gear you take with you, if used properly should thwart even the largest of assailants, like me (6'2'' 375) If you stab me with a pole or a knife I'll most likely forget what it was I was trying to do in the first place. Having the spray isn't a horrible idea either but as was stated earlier. With great power comes great responsibility. Educate yourself on the laws and usage of whatever route you take. After living in New Orleans for a couple of years, I can say-when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'd be a lot more afraid of Boston than the backcountry.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

my neighborhood is grusomly crime filled each night. horrid screams for help and massive wreks by drunken drivers and cops on bullhorns yelling pull over and all maner of mayhem just outside my window since i was born here in philadelphia in 1961.i got the centerfold strip club open till 4 two doors to the right, and the republican strip club open to 4 on the left. a crak drug bar one door down and a drug public phone just under the window. plus the awning for the fruit store downstairs with its trash bin and money machine make it a hotspot for transactions and sex all the time.i never feel threatened on the AT.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++