WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Cool how many miles in maine?

My son and i would like to hike the A.P. through Maine in June/July. How many miles do you think it is? And also is there an average amount of days it takes people to walk that area?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by endubyu View Post

Great Tool !

Didn't know about it.

Thanks,
    QP
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Taking a walk......

http://www.trailjournals.com/dg2010atnobo

Images

Very cool site, thanks.

Images

Thank you very much this will make my planning much easier.

Images

270 +/- miles
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by frothy View Post
    My son and i would like to hike the A.P. through Maine in June/July. How many miles do you think it is? And also is there an average amount of days it takes people to walk that area?
    day wise, I'd think 20-28 days, around 300 miles in Maine if I remember right.

the terrain is pretty tough in the south as well. Give yourself plenty of slack time if you need to slow down, or if you just want to make it last that much longer, it's an absolutely gorgeous section.

For some reason 283 miles jumps in my head, but I don't know...

Images

I'm thinking 281.4 miles or so.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Maine is a beautiful section of the AT with the mountain views, lakes, moose, the call of loons, nice evergreens...hope you enjoy it.

In order to enjoy it, do not underestimate the difficulty of the terrain, especially in the south/west portion from the NH border. Steep ascents & descents along with rocky terrain make for slow going. Unless you're in tiptop shape, I'd figure on no more than 10 mpd to start.

And keep in mind that in June-July, you'll have black flies and mosquitos.

Journal Entries

Maine is certainly a beautiful state, and overall, the remotest and wildest state. But when using the distance calculator, keep in mind that there are no roads anywhere near some of the trail points listed -- most pertently Baxter Peak and the Maine-New Hampshire border.

Most people wanting to do "all of Maine" have to start at the trail crossing in Shelburne, NH, which is not listed on the chart. But that adds around 18 miles to a "border to Baxter Peak walk." And add another 5 miles or so for getting back down after climbing Katahdin.

All and all plan on walking around 300 miles to do Maine -- plus ideally another 10 miles of critical side trails. With resupply stops, and adding in interesting side trails, I usually figure Maine makes a wonderful month-long hike.

Thru hikers that have been conditioning since Georgia can surely go faster. But I rarely try to do so.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Maine is certainly a beautiful state, and overall, the remotest and wildest state. But when using the distance calculator, keep in mind that there are no roads anywhere near some of the trail points listed -- most pertently Baxter Peak and the Maine-New Hampshire border.

Most people wanting to do "all of Maine" have to start at the trail crossing in Shelburne, NH, which is not listed on the chart. But that adds around 18 miles to a "border to Baxter Peak walk." And add another 5 miles or so for getting back down after climbing Katahdin.

All and all plan on walking around 300 miles to do Maine -- plus ideally another 10 miles of critical side trails. With resupply stops, and adding in interesting side trails, I usually figure Maine makes a wonderful month-long hike.

Thru hikers that have been conditioning since Georgia can surely go faster. But I rarely try to do so.
    There is a Carlo Col trail off the Success Pond Road that goes up the side of MT Carlo for a couple of miles or so that will bring a hiker to within a mile of the ME-NH line. Then, one has to hike south to the Line to begin the hike from NH line to Baxter Peak. Nat Geo has a good map showing detail of that area. On the Maine side the Success Pond Road is known as the York Pond Road off Rt 26.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It's all starting to blur a bit but as I recall after 1 day out of Stratton ME got relatively easy.

Definitely the hundred mile wilderness is blitzkrieg territory if you want to make some miles. Just watch the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It's all starting to blur a bit but as I recall after 1 day out of Stratton ME got relatively easy.

Definitely the hundred mile wilderness is blitzkrieg territory if you want to make some miles. Just watch the roots.
    Agree - for me, it got easier after the nasty descent down Avery Peak into Safford Notch.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Agree - for me, it got easier after the nasty descent down Avery Peak into Safford Notch.
    Like a nut I tried to have lunch on top of Avery Peak at that little cabin/hut thing - the wind was blowing so hard after 20 minutes I gave up trying to light an esbit tab.

Awesome view - that was one of those days I slowed down and took everything in.

++ New Posts ++