WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Images

For a sleeping bag let me suggest the Montbell U.L.Super Spiral Down Hugger #1 Long. It's rated at 15 degrees and stretches to an 81 inch girth at the shoulders. I have the earlier version of this and it's a good quality bag. You can see it at HERE

Thanks LIhikers. I did look at that one before too and it was in the running. I looked at a bunch yesterday in Orlando. I went all over creation. With 100 bucks of gas I only found one bag that fit. They gave me a fantastic deal on a NorthFace Yeti. It fits great and can be opened like a quilt. I picked it up for 49 bucks, so if it doesn't work out, I won't feel so bad buying another.

For you other guys, I'm probably going to start the 2nd or 3rd week of March. I'm having a heck of a time finishing my gear (clothes especially) and I hope to see all of you on the trail. I'll try to find a hot pink shirt so I'll be easier to find.

BTW, for you other plus sized princess out there like me, Bass Pro-Shop, Columbia outlet, Northface Outlet, Underarmor Outlet, Nike Outlet, Addidas Outlet, Reebok outlet, Sports Authority and a few other smaller places DO NOT carry anything larger that a 3x. MOST of them don't carry over 2x. Save yourself the frustration and gas.

If you're out the 2nd week of March, I hope to see you on the trail. Us fat guys need to stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheWings View Post
    Thanks LIhikers. I did look at that one before too and it was in the running. I looked at a bunch yesterday in Orlando. I went all over creation. With 100 bucks of gas I only found one bag that fit. They gave me a fantastic deal on a NorthFace Yeti. It fits great and can be opened like a quilt. I picked it up for 49 bucks, so if it doesn't work out, I won't feel so bad buying another.

For you other guys, I'm probably going to start the 2nd or 3rd week of March. I'm having a heck of a time finishing my gear (clothes especially) and I hope to see all of you on the trail. I'll try to find a hot pink shirt so I'll be easier to find.

BTW, for you other plus sized princess out there like me, Bass Pro-Shop, Columbia outlet, Northface Outlet, Underarmor Outlet, Nike Outlet, Addidas Outlet, Reebok outlet, Sports Authority and a few other smaller places DO NOT carry anything larger that a 3x. MOST of them don't carry over 2x. Save yourself the frustration and gas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    Us fat guys need to stick together.
    Nice thought - bad visual.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Get your pack weight down to 30 pounds if you can. Don't accept 45 or 50 pounds just because you're big.

Go slow. Like someone said, if you only do five miles a day at first, fine. Avoid injury, especially to your knees. As you lose weight and get used to hiking you can put down more miles. You're not just walking, you're climbing up and down mountains. Sometimes it's hard at first and it's all you can do to get to the next switchback.

If you have skin folds or other places that will rub and get irritated (crotch, upper arms, breasts) you should get Bodyglide or one of the other friction-easing skin protectants made for sports.

Stay hydrated and eat healthy food. Plan now for how you are going to keep the weight off once you finish hiking or you will gain it back as fast as you lost it. Don't eat the unhealthy food most thru-hikers eat.

You are going to lose a LOT of weight. Make sure your pants and belt and backpack can accommodate that. I wouldn't be surprised if you lost a pound a day for a while.

For a shelter I would recommend a Tarptent Rainbow model. I think it would accommodate you comfortably now and still be a good shelter after you lost 100 or 150 pounds.

Have fun!

I looked for body glide all over and haven't seen it in person. I got a two person tent and it seems to be fine so far. I don't think I can do the tarp thing. I'm a sissy when it comes to bugs. I'll scream like a cheerleader. I'll def. be taking it easy if I expect to make it.

I'm not sure how but I keep missing folks?

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

i've forgotten what you said about what shelter you were using, but i ran across this just now while browsing with stumbleupon, and i thought of you. the comfort level goes to 350, and it looks pretty hardcore. just thought i'd share!

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

@ Stonedflea-That does look very appealing, I love hammocks. Having a 700lb bursting rating is comforting as well. I could do that way easier than a tarp. Again, I'm a sissy with bugs.

@Buzzard-Tell me you wouldn't want to hike with a herd of fatguys? If We all wore corduroy, it would sound like a horde of locusts and could quite possibly start a forest fire..

@ Red Beard--Keep looking for me, You never know, we might be able to scare some people out of their seats and get kicked out of an AUCE buffet?

@ Fats-I'm sure I'll have lots to write about. I'll keep the steak and potatos folks updated as well.

@ Jim Adams- Wow, that's pretty amazing! I'm not sure what to expect other than being able to see my toes for the first time since I was 12.

@ Lady Trekker-I live like 4 miles from the Withlacoochee Forest. I've been in there a million times. It is nice. You're right about hiking in sand. It's no joke for sure. I've been all through the Ocala state forest too, but on an ATV.

@ Tall Paul-Hope to see you there too. We might start a million pound hike instead of a million man march?

LordoftheWings,
    I'll see you out there...I'll be between Springer and Low Gap the week of the 12th-19th.

geek

Images

The phone and the internet are your friend - big time-savers! Just sayin'. ... I'm 2X, mostly, and even that can be a problem at times. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Nice thought - bad visual.
    And great catch. Chuckle. ...

@ Red Beard--Keep looking for me, You never know, we might be able to scare some people out of their seats and get kicked out of an AUCE buffet?
    ROFL! Now all I can think of is that John Pinette standup bit: Chinese Restaurant. "You been here 4 hour! You no come here anymore."

Classic!

Here's the link to that Marmot Sawtooth Long/Wide.. price reduced to $175.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...=366608#366608

Keep your pack as light as you can to start and then the trail will teach you what you really need and don't need. As for being in shape the trail will do that. Start out doing low miles. At the end of my third day last year it took me 2 hours to go the last three miles. I took two days off. your knees and legs will strenghten as you go. It took me almost 5 weeks till I felt comfortable going up and down mts. all day. Good luck to you

Images

I did not take the time to read every response, so please forgive me if my 2 cents is redundant.

I began backpacking at 6'2" 340 lbs. So, I too invested in big gear. I have a few recommendations, each a budget dependent (I used all of these items in the 320 to 340 weight range. At this weight my suit size was 56 L (jacket) and pants where 52/54 waist and 32 long. (I know your pain).

Sleeping bag is the hardest part.

In expensive:
    Marmot Trestles extra big 15 degree (synthetic and heavy)
    Marmot Sawtooth extra big 15 degree (down)
    These are the same bag with one being down and the other synthetic. Even with the girth, I added an 8" bag extender (a little strip of material with a zipper one eithe side that you zip into the bags zipper.) (I owned and used the trestles)

I changed to a Big Agnes 15 degree down bag. This bag was lighter and had even more room that ny Marmot. I also added the 8" extender for even more room. I fell in love with the Big Agnes insulated air core pad and will never use a closed cell pad again.

Finally, I changed out to a Mont Bell Ultra Light Super Stretch 30 degree bag. By far the most expensvie, but by far the lightest and most comfortable and even as a 30 degree bag, might be warmer than the Marmot and BA bags. Note, I did not need the bag extender on this bag, but you could get an additional 8" here too. If I could turn back time, this would be the only bag purchased. ($320)

Boots are going to be another issue. I could not hike in trail runners, I think my weight and the weight of my pack just killed my feet if I did not have hard soled boots. Your success may very. I have size 13 wide and use Asolo boots still (I am 235 now). I could now change up to trail runners, but I really like my boots.

Remember, the first places to cut weight on your gear (and the most cuttable weight) are Pack, Tent and Bag. Spend you cash here.

Images

One other thing:

Columbia makes some 3x and 4x clothing (fleese and zip off pants).

Underarmor has 3x items. Hard to find in stores, but on their web site you can get them.

Marmot Precip makes a 3x rain coat (black only)

Columbia makes 3x rain pants

check out Wally World (Walmart) for 3X generic synthetic clothing.

Finally, the Boy Scouts have lots of fat leaders (I am one of them) so they make synthetic zip off pants in huge sizes. The BSA logos are quite small on the pants and they work great.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

I looked for body glide all over and haven't seen it in person. I got a two person tent and it seems to be fine so far. I don't think I can do the tarp thing. I'm a sissy when it comes to bugs. I'll scream like a cheerleader. I'll def. be taking it easy if I expect to make it.

I'm not sure how but I keep missing folks?
    REI will have it. If your local REI doesn't, order it online. The will ship it to the store at no cost.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Amazon carries body glide, any runners stores will have it too...

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I did manage to get a northface Yeti bag. It fit well enough and the price was great. I tried on nearly all of the mentioned bags minus the mont-bell. They just wouldn't do for the money at the time. Since I only payed 49 for my N.F. I can upgrade later.

Most of the 3x stuff just isn't big enough. especially the Underarmor stuff. I look and feel like a bratwurst. Only online places carry the right size so I've been shopping and comparing.

I've been trying different socks, insoles and such with the boots. I may just have to get another brand. I think the biggest problem is that the wool/synthetic make me sweat so bad. It seems as though my foot is swimming before I go a mile. It has been in the mid 80's here this week so, that might be an issue.

I still haven't found a bear bag/container I'm happy with. Suggestions?

Images

I've been trying different socks, insoles and such with the boots. I may just have to get another brand. I think the biggest problem is that the wool/synthetic make me sweat so bad. It seems as though my foot is swimming before I go a mile. It has been in the mid 80's here this week so, that might be an issue.
    It's the heat, and presumably the humidity - you won't run into comparable conditions much on a NB thru (except, coincidentally, up here in NY/CT/MA area). Wool socks, well, kick cotton socks' butt - I got lots of blisters early on last year w/ cotton and almost none since making the switch, and I sweat like a fountain. Have you tried some of the synthetic wool/blend socks?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++