WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Help a fat guy please

I'm new here so please don't crucify me if I step on toes.
    I'm planning a 2011 hike thru NOBO and I'm gathering gear and info. This forum has been very helpful so far. I've been lurking for awhile. My biggest problem (no Pun) is the size of gear I require. I'm 6'2'' and 375 lbs. I wear a 14 shoe-sometimes 15 boot. I know I'm asking a lot from manufacturers to provide quality gear my size but I haven't always been, nor will I always be this freak of nature. I need recommendations on everything from clothes to cameras. You would be hard pressed to hurt my feelings so speak up please. I may never get another chance to do this life-long dream, I must start it under less than desirable weight/endurance conditions. Seriously be candid and think of what would best serve my safety and comfort. I'm a 11 year firefighter/EMT I've had my share of heavy packs. I understand that with proper size comes added carry weight. BTW, I'm not a go-freezer.

I forgot to mention. I currently wear 4x tall shirts and 48x32 pants. I think my last wedding measurement was 62' chest. (yes I need a man-zire)

Images

When do you plan to start? What is your time window? One thing I'd say is to get to exercising, in every form possible, as much as possible, right away.

I am similar in build to you, relative to my height. Got into hiking last year. Have pretty well always been active - diet and metabolism, more than level of activity, are the chief issue. Anyhow, the more I hiked last year, the stronger my legs and back and core got. As to gear, etc. I'm not a gear expert. But I can tell you, based on experience, that you can whip into shape with experience. Just keep in mind that every day on the trail, with maybe a day off each week, is probably a lot more than you've done in a long time. Best get to emulating that asap.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Just how overweight are you? I am also 6-2 and weigh 200 pounds. You may be used to carrying heavy packs but are your knees up to doing 10 to 12 miles a day going up and down mountains, is the real question. Speaking from experience as I am at home now recovering from knee surgery, a torn meniscus in my left knee from a 30 mile section hike last September. I have large feet and wear a size 14 boot. I carry a two-man tent just for myself to have the extra room. I use a long sleeping bag which is also heavier than a standard size. Most of the information you need can be found on this website simply by using the search tools. But the best advise for you now is that you take what you have now and do some practice hikes doing shakedowns of your gear. You'll discover on these practice hikes what you really need and use. It would be better to discover what is really necessary before you begin your AT hike so you will not need to send unnecessary gear home when you get to mountain crossings at Neels gap. I noticed that you live in Florida. Are there any mountains for you to hike. If not consider a weekend hike where there are some to get a taste of what to expect. I did that last year driving from North Alabama to do the approach trail. I hiked it on Saturday, spending the night at Springer mountain shelter and returning to the state Park Sunday morning. That was an eye opener for me and I learned a lot. Good luck and have fun.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Well, I'll have to say that, even though I'm a little more overweight than I'd like to be...5'9 194 pounds that I don't have the size problem that you do. But all I can say is just do as much exercising as possible and use as much care as possible about what you eat. Probably, given your size you may have a thyroid problem so, not being a doctor I don't what can be done about that. So, just do what you can to control it and hang in there. We're all behind you..As far as gear goes..I have no clue where you would get quality gear in those sizes but I'm fairly sure it's out there.
    I get the large size in about everything and many times I think it's for large Chinese dudes, not large American dudes who are usually much larger than the large Chinese dudes. Actually, I have some things in x large. My gore-tex pants are large size and if I get any larger I won't be able to wear em..

Images

Mountains in Florida? I believe the highest elevation is in Walton county near DeFuniak Springs about 30 miles north of Destin Beach if I remember correctly and a little over 300 feet?. The climb from sea level to that point is so gradual that you would never guess you were going uphill...Soo.no mountains in Florida.

Images

Go slow, take it easy, people have had heart attacks doing things like this, hike your own hike, forget about big miles. Best prep is hiking up and down hills with a pack that is heavier than what you will be carrying. In that there are no hills in FLA, consider a stair stepper, with a loaded pack. To me the AT is 1000% tougher than any workouts I do or hiking trails close to my house.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Go slow, take it easy, people have had heart attacks doing things like this, hike your own hike, forget about big miles. Best prep is hiking up and down hills with a pack that is heavier than what you will be carrying. In that there are no hills in FLA, consider a stair stepper, with a loaded pack. To me the AT is 1000% tougher than any workouts I do or hiking trails close to my house.
    This was good advice. Forget long distance days at least for a while. Just take your time. If you only do 5 miles a day (or even less) there is no shame. The main thing is being alive to tell about it. I'm planning a thru hike of the GSMNP in March of 2011 and I'm planning for only 7 miles a day because that's the average distance between shelters and you pretty much have to use the shelters thru the Smokies unless you're willing to walk a few to several miles off the AT each day to get to a campsite, which is adding more miles anyway. My first 2 days I'm actually planning only about 5 to 6 miles a day. The distance to Birch Spring Gap backcountry campsite the first day and Mollies Ridge shelter on day 2, which I think is only about 5 miles. If you start at Springer by the time you get to the Smokies you should be able to do the 7 mile days easily.
    Pay no attention to people who may be preaching you have to do 12 to 15 miles a day. If they wanta walk their legs down to stumps ..let em but you and I don't have to.
    Have a great hike!

I don't know if we can post links or not, but REI has a 3x Marmot Precip Jacket for 35 bucks. I'm not sure how far you are from a 3x... I would definetly start walking now to be prepared. I have let myself get out of shape the past few years..

We are planning on doing two section hikes of about 50 miles apiece in March and October so I'm trying to get in shape now so I'm not regretting it!

Good luck! ...and I'm gonna steal someone's quote that's floating around here, "It's the journey, not the destination."

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheWings View Post
    I'm new here so please don't crucify me if I step on toes.
    I'm planning a 2011 hike thru NOBO and I'm gathering gear and info. This forum has been very helpful so far. I've been lurking for awhile. My biggest problem (no Pun) is the size of gear I require. I'm 6'2'' and 375 lbs. I wear a 14 shoe-sometimes 15 boot. I know I'm asking a lot from manufacturers to provide quality gear my size but I haven't always been, nor will I always be this freak of nature. I need recommendations on everything from clothes to cameras. You would be hard pressed to hurt my feelings so speak up please. I may never get another chance to do this life-long dream, I must start it under less than desirable weight/endurance conditions. Seriously be candid and think of what would best serve my safety and comfort. I'm a 11 year firefighter/EMT I've had my share of heavy packs. I understand that with proper size comes added carry weight. BTW, I'm not a go-freezer.
    What's a "go-freezer"???

Best advise here is to go at your own pace. That could very well mean camping between shelters, and carrying a little extra food. Depending on your start date, you may want to consider doing a "flip-flop" at some point up to Katahdin and then hiking southbound to complete a "thru". Keep all your options open.

I'm very impressed that you're not letting your size stop you from going after your goals.

Sorry I can't help with gear recommendations. Hope to meet up with you on the trail!!!

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Don't listen to LonerRidgerRunner... I lived in Cleremont, Fl. for 28 years, riding my road bike... When I decided I was going to Hike the AT(2007) I did intervals on Buckhill, Sugarloaf, Step and Wall, Hospital hill, etc... Go to windermereroadies.com to figure out where all those roads are and get ur butt out there... I was 5' 8" 240lbs... I now Live on the AT, and average 3000+ miles a year(just on the AT, not countin' the BMT and everything else) BTW... My driveway is over 700ft Long with an average grade of 17.9/22.1 Steepest... Mail comes 6 days a week... I'm just sayin'... Same 5' 8" just not all the rest You can do it Brother... Believe...

I have giant feet and I hike in New Balance. They make shoes in your size, give them a look-see.

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome to Wb and I understand the post - but there isn't a specific question... so my initial thoughts are that I hope you are pre working out prior to going.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

when is your start date? you are a big dude who will lose alot of size. what fits you when you start will not necessarily fit in 2, 4 or 6 months. you need to find your pace and drive on. dont let others push you further than you can do. your clothes will begin to feel very loose and your pack will require more adjustments as you move on. everyone is uncomfortable and has absolutely miserable moments. you will find that your clothing needs are going to change as the weeks roll on and the weight rolls off. well done for making the go at a thru hike.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses so quickly! I guess I should elaborate a little. I'm 6'2'' and currently 375. Numbers wise this sound horrible. I'm most certainly in the morbidly obese category but don't let that info fool you. I gain and lose quickly and my endurance grows quickly as well. The simple truth is I eat WAY too much for the amount of calories I currently spend. I'm looking to fix this permanently by taking on hiking and creating better habits. I have 15+ years in and around the medical field. My size and risks are part of the reason I've chosen to leave the fire service. I know if I go down in a fire, my brothers would probably parish with me trying unsuccessfully to rescue me. It would be selfish to ask them to risk themselves for my gluttony. I will absolutely hike my own hike. I'm currently unemployed and in the process of selling it all to find my path. (forgive the pun) I have no time constraints or time to be back so it will be a leisurely, whimsical pace if you will. I just want to do the entire trail from beginning to end before Baxter closes. I have been training in the big "lol hear the sarcasm" Florida hills with a weighted pack. Walking in sand in no joke though, let me tell you. I've already bought a 2 person tent and larger items as I find them, knowing the weight will be added. I think I'll still be able to keep it all 45 lbs or less. I'm practicing with 70.
    I guess I'll dig a little deeper to see what other super-sized folks have worn, used. What I'm finding is that I like something only to find out later that they don't make it in anything bigger than 2x. Granted by the time I hit Harpers Ferry I might be a 2x, but this doesn't help my situation at start. Thanks again for the help so far. Yes, 345 feet or so is the highest natural point in Fl. I should add, I grew up in Western Pa.
    Oh, and go-freezer is what one of my co-workers (an avid hiker for years) calls the folks that are so concerned with weight savings, they would rather freeze than carry "normal" equipment.

Images

Last year a guy about your size started at springer calling himself "Least Likely" as in the least likely to hike the trail. by the time he got up north he was "Likely". He had lots of difficulties, and skipped some pieces of trail, but he did hike in every state from GA-ME and lost about 100 lbs doing it. Good luck and happy hiking!

Is there a big and tall section here? I haven't located it yet????

@ Red Hat-nice. If I'm anything, I'm determined. My constitution won't be broken easily. I earn the achievements I have and I won't claim to be a 2000 miler unless I walk every inch. I'm no sure I'd want to name myself least likely, but I haven't come up with a name yet. I picked LordoftheWings for here because of my love for the movies and my obvious obsession with wings.

Images

As others have said, start walking somewhere every day in preparation. Start with whatever you can do, even if it is just around the block, and keep building up. Park at the farthest parking spot. Always take the stairs. All the little stuff adds up and helps.

The AT is not like just walking around a yard, or sidewalks, or even improved hiking paths. It is very rugged in many places. Be very careful of your knees in the beginning of your hike and until you have dropped some weight. If you start getting pain that doesn't move around - joint pain, not muscle pain, take a day or two rest. If it comes back right away, you'll need to slow down or even modify your hike. It's not worth blowing out a knee over.

I know you want to do a NOBO thru, but I'd bet some here might suggest that a more optimal hike for you might be to start later in theyear in the less physically demanding parts of the trail from Shenandoah NP north, build up your muscles, fitness, and drop some weight on these less strenous parts of the trail to avoid "too much too soon" (and also get milder weather) while still headed north with this years NOBO class to Maine, and then flip back to finish SOBO. Just a thought.

Finding a sleeping bag will be an issue. You may need to look at an oversize rectangular bag (they do make them in down too so don't despair). Most of the biggest mummy and semi-rectangular bags have girths in the 65 inch range, and a guy with a 62" chest just isn't going to fit. For these reasons a quilt is probably a much better option in your case. Start researching now (search and ask here) and you may also be able to get one of the quilt companies to make one for you. There are many who do custom work.

Also most of the sleeping pad companies do make 25" wide mattresses, both closed cell, self-inflating, and inflatable. And there is also the option of using two 20" wide ones or adapting a couple of cheap blue 20" walmart sleeping pads and cutting and gluing them to make a custom pad.

A pack may be difficult as well. I'm thinking that an external frame is probably going to be easier to fit as the attachment points are more easily moved around and adjusted and straps and belts are removable. If factory shoulder straps and hipbelts can't be found in your size, you should be able to get someone handy with needle and thread to extend straps, belts and such and adapt them for you. You'll need to be able to adjust all this though as you lose weight on your hike, so take that into consideration as well.

Hope this helps, just what popped into my mind.

Congrats on having the motivation to do this, and good luck on your hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

When do expect to start???

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++