WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Ya, I'm going to save the money and walk at easy intervals until I'm comfortable. Thanks FF503. Before we went combination a few years back I was 903. You know how it is though. We might sound like a lot but it's not your typical, "have to cut the wall of the house" to get us out kinda big. I did 3 push-ups today with my pack loaded to 85lbs???? I don't think that's bad. My cardio is no where near where I want it yet, but time is of no concern for me. Just finishing. BTW, I'm dense too-----In the head

When you do begin, begin slowly and then slow down some more. I'm very serious. Good luck and my hat's off to you, for what it's worth.

litefoot 2000

Journal Entries

go shelter to shelter for the first month. start early and take enough breaks. you can do it. oh and start early in March and hike till October 15. you may still not finish but you will likely lose 80lbs and your life will be chnged. but you will suffer
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

400+ lbs with a full load is 4000 pounds of pressure on each knee on the ups & downs, at least that is what my surgeon told me in october.

I am 240, in good shape with back, knee, hip issues. With a pack 270 lbs with every step, up, flat, down

Losing 150lbs short of cutting limbs off is not an option

So, take it really slow, easy, enjoy every step and hike your own hike, as a wise man said, "A Man Has Got to Know his Limitations".

Be honest with yours and have a blast in the outdoors, to me the AT keeps me focused on my food choices and fitness............

Will do. I think it will be an experience of a lifetime.

I have managed to find a couple shirts and shoes/boots. Getting there............

Let me offer you a few more suggestions. When you post like this, it can be a bit confusing to have ideas coming in from all over the place and not be able to ask follow up questions. The best advice that I received to help me with my thru was to get my hands on an ALDHA directory. Find 2-3 hikers in your area that have done a thru. Call them up--offer to buy them lunch or a beer if they will sit down with you and let you pick their brains. Generally they will be more than willilng to help you and you will get invaluable advice from people who have been there and done it.
    You are talking about weight loss and getting in shape on the trail. You can do it!
    But what you need to be thinking about is protecting the gains you make the day you walk off K. There is a hge weight loss on the traill but there is a huge weight rebound for hikers once they leave the trail. I left the trail at 5-9 and 163. Six months later I weighed 197. Plan on living on apples and Slim Fast the day you leave the traill or shortly thereafter you will put all your weight back on. Again--good luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jack View Post
    The best advice that I received to help me with my thru was to get my hands on an ALDHA directory. Find 2-3 hikers in your area that have done a thru. Call them up--offer to buy them lunch or a beer if they will sit down with you and let you pick their brains.
    Another place to find former thru-hikers (aside from here) would be at your local REI or EMS - often a store will have one or two, or more, on staff.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have not read through all the posts but be sure you are cleared to do this by an MD. Sure you will be fine. My hubby at one time is 5 9 and weighed 306lb and he hiked and lost 30 lb in one month doing Maine last summer. he is doing the JMT this summer

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default advice

LordoftheWings,

At 375 pounds your weight is definitely not an asset for a thru hike. Don't let that stop you though.

Here's my best advice for you:

1) as far in advance of your expected start date as possible.. start exercising. Walk say an hour a day 5-7 days per week.

2) It's even more important for you then the avg hiker to keep pack weight modest (under 40 pounds fully loaded).

3) When you do start your hike, plan on very modest mileage. Even just go shelter to shelter (meaning 5 miles per day) for the first couple weeks. It's going to be a challenge. expect it. This is absolutely key. You can always kick the mileage up further up the trail if you find you can handle more. But don't over push yourself at the start.

4) You will lose a lot of weight and get into far better physical condition if you thru hike. However, for that to happen you need to not quit in the first couple weeks. In order not to quit, you will need to 1) to be doing very modest mileage at the start and 2) have a very determined attitude. That's what gets you over the tough times. Like when you have to hike all day in the rain.

Finally, may I ask you.. how much do you love being outside.. walking in the woods, and being alone in nature in all types of weather? I think more potential thru hikers should ask them selves this question before they set off on a thru hike.

David

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheWings View Post
    (these companies make you feel like Ogres don't they?)
    Tell me about it!

My doc is totally on board with the whole thing. I do plan on taking it easy and doing distance as tolerated. I'm absolutely not one to give up. Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys that pushes hard when he shouldn't. I'll have a harder time saying "take a break"

@ Dave- I absolutely love the woods. Since I was a kid, I was always being drug by my ears in before dark. I used to always go out for hours with either my bike or 4 wheeler and just go until dark or later. It was always my escape.

I feel like I'm returning to an old friend more than depriving myself of comfort.

Also as a nice addition today with the gear-Although I went to 11 different stores including 3 big name outfitters I found no clothes my size.
    I did however find a northface bag today that fits me for 49 bucks.

@ OGRE-nice.

Trail name=juggernaut Still a Master of Sarcasm though.

Wings, I wish we were going out at the same time, but we are probably going to be around a year apart. I think we would be a good team.

I am also on the heavier side at 280 currently.

I've been doing all the reading and lurking I possibly can, and I currently have a Marmot 3p tent for sleeping that I will test over the next year, as well as a Hennessy clone I am currently making.

From what I have read the Hammock is great for guys like us since it's easier on the back, and allows decent sleep, and recovery. They also cut back on some weight, though I have not tested this yet.

I am making my own, and therefore will be able to double up on seams, and material to make it stronger than "stock" Hammocks.

Like I said before (so people understand), I have not trail tested anything yet, and won't be able to for a while, but so far the reviews on using a hammock are positive, I hope to have a personal full review for others soon. (from a big guys perspective)

Brad

Yo dude, just go and have fun!
    I didn't catch how old you are and that will certainly make a difference.
    Cardio will be your main problem at first...just stop everytime that you need to, don't push it too much. As you get in better conditioning it's the little things that will show you that you are improving. You will get further between stopping to catch your breat. You will start taking longer steps or strides as you improve. All of those things will not be very noticable unless you watch for them because they will make you just as tired as you were when you were first starting but getting further doing it.
    I was 212lbs and a 40 inch waist on my first thru @ 37 years old...I finished @ 147lbs and a 29" waist.
    I was 228lbs and a 42" waist when I started my second thru @ 49 years old and finished with a 32" waist @ 165 lbs.
    I am currently 242lbs and losing with a 46" waist @ 58 years old and I wouldn't hesitate to thru again this year. I never worked out or attempted to get into hiking condition prior to my hikes...I just went slow until I got my trail legs and then steadily improved to Maine but I also did not have any underlying medical problems...just too much food and not enough exercise...I'm a paramedic, seems our professions alone aren't enough to maintain a healthy life style.
    As far as clothing goes, most manufacturers won't have your size but with alittle creativity you can find things that will work. ex: Mountain Hardware doesn't make the shirt you need in your size?...go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. and look for items in your size made from the same material as the Mountain Hardware item. It will usually be heavier, not hiking fashion and may not last as long but it will work similar and be cheaper.
    Just go slow, have fun and even though you may be tired and exhausted, enjoy every moment. You will come home a changed man in the end and it won't all be about your size.

geek

In case you were wanting to try it, a guy on BackpackingLight has a new with tags Marmot Sawtooth LONG/EXTRA WIDE on sale for $200 shipped. Retail is $269 +/-

Check the Gear Swap forum.

Images

I forgot to mention. I currently wear 4x tall shirts and 48x32 pants. I think my last wedding measurement was 62' chest. (yes I need a man-zire)
    Before I did my section hike last year on the AT, I did a 3-day hike in the Withlacoochee State Forest in Inverness. I did have to drive thru the grid of dirt roads and get close to where I was going to camp and hid some water jugs. The area is dry but it was a good long hike and pretty in there.

Also I have hiked from White Springs to Suwannee River State Park on the Suwannee River section of the Florida Trail. It is a series of ravines, sinkholes and one area that had a metal cable to hold onto to climb up a hill with 100 to 150 foot inclines it was the most challenging that I have encountered in Florida and beautiful it would be a good place for you to try an area with up and downs.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

@ Dave- I absolutely love the woods. Since I was a kid, I was always being drug by my ears in before dark. I used to always go out for hours with either my bike or 4 wheeler and just go until dark or later. It was always my escape.

I feel like I'm returning to an old friend more than depriving myself of comfort.
    Sounds like me, although no 4 wheeler or bike - horses and on foot for me.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Wings, when do you plan on starting? I will be a rather large thru-hiker myself, currently 290lbs, and would like to see how you are doing out on the trail. I am planning on an April 1st start date with a friend who will be joining me for the first week or so.

I dont plan on spending an outragious sum of money on my hiking clothes. I tend to drop a lot of weight during prolonged exercise so I dont want to spend $400 on clothes and then have to replace most of my wardrobe a few months later. Going out for a mini-shakedown this weekend. Heres to adventure

Hi there Wings! I too will be starting on the trail in March (target 17th). I'm 6' 2", 64 years old, and currently 260 # (down from 288 last Oct). Although I have been doing some prep (elliptical & total gym since snow and cold weather hit here in PA), I will definitely be going slow to start (planning hut to hut). I have too have found finding equipment that fits difficult. I am using a Hubba tent for over a year now and just bought a WM bag. I just fit the Hubba and WM fits perfectly. I roll around allot at night so a good fit is critical on the bag. I've read all the entries to date and there is great advice here. Good luck and I hope to see you on the trail.

Images

If no one has mentioned it yet, get some trekking poles. Anything that helps transfer the stress away from the knees will help.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++