WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing option..al?

So I got you to read my thread, maybe you can help me with a clothing question. I am starting my NOBO hike March 9. Question: How many pants should I bring? I have and plan to bring:
    1 pair light weight thermal underwear
    1 pair Columbia convertible pants
    1 pair light weight rain pants

I get warm and sweaty when I walk, but i am concerned for the first section of the trail and getting cold at night when we aren't walking and just hanging out and shelter sites. I have a pair of pants/leggings/stretchy things that i was thinking of bringing, is this over kill? Thanks for the help, count down has begun!
    Meg

Images

You'll want something dry to put on in camp in March and April. Mid-weight long john bottoms are good, and you can layer your rain pants over them if it's really cold. If your tights are reasonably warm, they'll work fine.

At some point in May you'll send home all the long john bottoms and probably the lower legs of your convertible pants and the rain pants. At that point you'll probably want a pair of very light running shorts or similar to wear in your bag while your hiking shorts dry overnight. But maybe not.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the above. Your selection of three items looks good, and very flexible for a start. You'll fine-tune it as you go. Personally I don't carry the thermal underwear, but I think most do. I don't hang around shelter sites at night, either--if it's cold I'm either hiking or in my bag.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

what you have would work but may depend on how you handle cold. I almost never require long john bottoms when hiking so your pair can be your camp/sleep wear. You can layer your rain pants of your pants during the day for extra warmth if needed. with that being said, I don't think having the extra pair that you mentioned would be overkill. I tend to err a little bit on the cautious side. If you see it is not needed it's very easy to mail something home or leave in a hiker box.Good luck on your hike!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd go with midweight rather than lightweight, personally. Save the lightweight for the Whites on north.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Instead of thermals, go with Smartwool "thermals" and add a down pants (Montbell or such). Keep the rest the same.

I had this set up and it worked great for me the whole hike.

You can layer up/down and will always have something to wear at camp.

++ New Posts ++