WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    5 plus days is a lot of food and weight to lug. There is more frequent resupply than that, even if you are starting out slow.
    If you go into towns, which I recommend.
    We're definitely doing town stops - but we're avoiding towns as much as possible and don't want to have to get off the trail every 3 days or so. My base weight won't be more than 17 lbs at the most - hopefully lower depending on 1st aid kit and toiletries - and if the avg. is 2 lbs of food per day, then 10 lbs plus some water isn't too prohibitive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    *One can get all the way thru the Park without leaving the Trail; just pack 6-7 days of supplies out of Fontana Dam.

*. . . make sure you visit
    Standing Bear Farm, at the park's far end. It's three minutes from the Trail; Great
    people, great place to stay, and very good re-supply to get you the next stretch to nearby
    Hot Springs.
    Thanks Jack, soujnds good!

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i never had a hard time hitching out of Gatlinburg one time as we stood by the road to wait on a ride, a young kid drove by us, he made a u-turn,gave us a ride up the mountain, said he'd TRY to get us to the top
    he was low on gas and said he could coast back down to town if he ran out of gas, said he'd done it alot of times
    That's awesome - wonder if he made it down on fumes?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i never had a hard time hitching out of Gatlinburg
    one time as we stood by the road to wait on a ride, a young kid drove by us, he made a u-turn,gave us a ride up the mountain, said he'd TRY to get us to the top
    he was low on gas and said he could coast back down to town if he ran out of gas, said he'd done it alot of times
    Sounds like he was "hinting" for gas money...

All your trail friends will be going to Gatlinburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hitching into G'burg can take awhile, but eventually someone will take pitty on you. Getting back up to the gap is another story. Last year I was down there and walked up past the park visiter center (had to get camping permits as I was starting there) and put my thumb out. An hour and several 100 cars going past later, the girl driving the Cherokee suttle van pulled over. I asked if it was a free ride? No, but it was only 3 bucks, well worth it!

The main problem with G'burg, other than its a pretty expensive stop, is there isn't a decent grocery store in town to resupply at. Do a mail drop or pick up enough supplies at Fontanna village to make it all the way to Standing Bear, where you can get a few days worth of stuff to make it to Hot Springs.

If you've never been to G'burg it could be worth the stop - the place is quite amazing, though I liked it better 25 years ago when it still had a quiant hick charm to it.
    Slo-go'en, there is one decent grocery store in G'burg that I'm aware of. It's Food City, 1219 East Parkway. Food City isn't on the "strip" in G'Burg, and it's a bit out of the way for those wishing to stay in town proper. Food City is a full size grocery store, reasonably priced, with a nice selection of items.

I have taken my teens to G'burg every year for the last 7 years. They seem to love the place, and it's one of the few places I know I can turn 'em loose on their own without having to worry about them. We usually do some of our own cooking/food prep to avoid the astronomical cost of eating out every night. I found the Food City grocery several years ago, and I return there to shop when I'm in G'burg. Food City sure beats having to shop in the little convenience stores downtown.

Of course, it's no big deal getting there if one has access to a vehicle. But it's a long walk from the strip. I think the G'burg shuttle runs by Food City. It's out near the artists community on US 321 East Parkway, approx. 2-3 miles from the strip in G'burg.

YES YES YES
    Gatlinburg is a cultural mecca along the AT. You simply cannot hike the AT thru the Smokies without stopping in Gatlinburg to try the Smoky Mountain fudge, Smoky Mountain pancakes, Hillbilly Golf, and mix with the indiginent species. Have fun!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
    Slo-go'en, there is one decent grocery store in G'burg that I'm aware of. It's Food City, 1219 East Parkway. Food City isn't on the "strip" in G'Burg, and it's a bit out of the way for those wishing to stay in town proper. Food City is a full size grocery store, reasonably priced, with a nice selection of items.
    ! We always shop the Food City in Pigeon Forge, didn't know there was one in Gatlinburg - it's a great grocery store, the best selection you're going to find outside of Wal-Mart and like.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Images

How did I know that Praha4 would be singing the praises of Gatlinburg? I, personally, would prefer to be boiled in oil rather than visit that veritable Sodom and Gomorrah.
    On my thruhike last year I had a maildrop waiting at the Fontana Village PO with six days food and, after a most delightful evening spent at the Fontana Lodge, breezed thru the Smokies with nary a thought of soiling my adventure in Smoky Mtn Fudge Land.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    Go. It's so American. The 4 of us stayed at a "honeymoon suite." It was hysterical. If you're not into kitch or Americana, or plan to have no sense of humor about it, maybe better to avoid.

+1 on this, if you've never been there. You have to make sure you're in the right frame of mind, and then it's a total blast. Also it's much easier to deal with G'burg on foot than in a car.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    We're definitely doing town stops - but we're avoiding towns as much as possible and don't want to have to get off the trail every 3 days or so. My base weight won't be more than 17 lbs at the most - hopefully lower depending on 1st aid kit and toiletries - and if the avg. is 2 lbs of food per day, then 10 lbs plus some water isn't too prohibitive for me.
    Two things might surprise you. 1) How many miles per day you're hiking by then, especially with a 17 pound base load, and 2) how little food you can hike all day on, especially with a light pack. If you're in shape, which you should be by then, you may not need 2 pounds per day, maybe closer to 1.5. Most hikers carry too much food, often several pounds worth--very few come into town with nothing left. My point is you may not need 10 pounds of food for the Smokies, maybe even less than 8 pounds. Water should not be much of an issue in the Smokies in springtime. I never carried more than one liter.

You can play the G'burg stop by ear--when you resupply in Fontana or nearby, you'll have a better idea of how far you can hike without stopping for supplies. Try and do without, but when you get to Newfound Gap, take stock and make the decision then. There are plenty of other factors, too, like weather and health. (When I hiked, in April '08, there was a serious storm--most bailed out into town and I had the trail to myself for the next couple of days. It was a very memorable couple of days.) You may really need a break and might really want to see the place. Some obviously enjoy it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Gatlinburg - NOC store

1) I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but NOC has built a very nice store in Gatlinburg. The place is expensive, but it's a beautiful store. Probably won't be there in 5 years, so go see it. I believe they have a shuttle service to the Gap as well.
    2) Near the NOC store is the Smoky Mtn. Brewery. A great out of the way place to recharge.
    3) Like Mosey said, Food City is near town. It's about the same size as the one in Pigeon Forge. A trolley goes by there every hour or so.
    4) No one's mentioned Sugarlands. Can't beat it for information regarding the region.

Gatlinburg is what it is, so love it or hate it. Me personally, I'd go just for the short change of pace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyJohn View Post
    1) I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but NOC has built a very nice store in Gatlinburg. The place is expensive, but it's a beautiful store. Probably won't be there in 5 years, so go see it. I believe they have a shuttle service to the Gap as well.
    2) Near the NOC store is the Smoky Mtn. Brewery. A great out of the way place to recharge.
    3) Like Mosey said, Food City is near town. It's about the same size as the one in Pigeon Forge. A trolley goes by there every hour or so.
    4) No one's mentioned Sugarlands. Can't beat it for information regarding the region.

Gatlinburg is what it is, so love it or hate it. Me personally, I'd go just for the short change of pace.
    Sugarlands is great - go there to at least see the bear (you may not see another your whole hike) and to see the large topographical map of the mountains, it's something to consider all right!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Sounds like he was "hinting" for gas money...
    no he wasn't hinting for gas, you could tell he liked to help the hikers. we did give him gas money. he really tried hard to not take it.

That's awesome - wonder if he made it down on fumes?[/QUOTE]
    i'm pretty sure he was talkin' about coasting down with no power, with Sir Isacc Newton in the driver seat.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyJohn View Post

Another thought... the NOC store that borders the park in Gburg receives mail drops, does shuttle thru-hikers back up the mountain, and (if you're looking for one) has free showers for thru-hikers too. Even if all you wanted to do was jump into town, grab a maildrop and head back to the trail... that's an option.

Probably will be there for more than 5 years too... but I'm biased since I work for NOC.

Quote Originally Posted by coheterojo View Post
    How did I know that Praha4 would be singing the praises of Gatlinburg? I, personally, would prefer to be boiled in oil rather than visit that veritable Sodom and Gomorrah.
    On my thruhike last year I had a maildrop waiting at the Fontana Village PO with six days food and, after a most delightful evening spent at the Fontana Lodge, breezed thru the Smokies with nary a thought of soiling my adventure in Smoky Mtn Fudge Land.

... El Flaco missed all the fun last year in Gatlinburg! think of all the memorable photos hikers can get on Main St in Gatlinburg with the tourists and their screaming kids, all wanting an autograph and a picture with an AT thru hiker!

Images

I'll be meeting family at Clingman's Dome and enjoying lodging in a cozy gooseneck in Cades Cove for a few days, eating lots of grilled food, and resting in a full sized bed .... Gatlinburg to me is only as valuable as the fudge sold everywhere in town!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++