WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Talk me OUT of a Hamock

I have done some searches on here and am always supprised at how many People LOVE their hammock it seems like most opinion threads always end up resorting to how much they like this or that. I am already set in trying one for all the reasons that I have found. With that being said I do not need to be talked INTO trying one. What I am finding trouble locating is the minor points of hammock camping. So what I am asking and I really dont want this to turn into a Gripe thread just want opinions on some of the points that a non hammocker would not think about and the disadvantages.

Some of the things that I have already found as examples

A proper Hammock set up includes many different items for a full set up including (hammock, tarp, underquilt, snakeskins etc.. )

Hamocks are not as comfortable for the side and stomack sleeper.

Its colder (which in the summer may not be a problem)

So as best as you can Talk me OUT of one, I am going to try one but i have had trouble finding opinions of what ya'll hammockers do not like about Hammocking in general not just what you want to add or change about your set up?

Journal Entries
    Images

No.... Don't do it, don't do it ummm do not do it. Does that help?
    I don't know

If you like sleeping on rocks, roots and uneven ground dont buy a hammock. If you like to worry about rain run off going under your tent site then dont get a hammock. If you like not knowing whats just out side your tent untill you zip open the door then dont get a hammock. If you like packing your tent up in the rain then dont get a hammock. If you like sitting on the ground, rock or log then dont get a hammock.

I bought a hamock, tried it a few times and went back to a tent. Like you said, its cold if you don't have an underquilt, for me being a side/stomack sleeper its not very comfertable and it is heavier and bulkier than my tent. If it's windy out, the fly makes a racket flapping in the wind and you really get cold with the air flowing below you.

The Hamock is a Hennesy Asymetrical, bottom entry. I think I'm a little too tall (5' 11") and a little too heavy (~180 pounds) for it. Shorter, lighter weight people seem to like hamocks the best.

I keep thinking I'll give it another try, but I really ought to sell it - make me on offer...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Hammocks are not for everyone. I'm a side sleeper and love my hammock. My hammock setup is lighter and less bulky than my tent setup. When people start talking about hammocks sleeping cold unless you have under insulation (pad or under quilt) they seem to forget that you will sleep cold and uncomfortable in a tent without under insulation (pad). At age 37 you are still young enough to knot be bothered by rocks, roots, uneven ground, crawling in and out, etc. Don't get a hammock, leave all the good hanging spots to us. Fewer people using hammocks the more trees for us.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

PS. Seriously. DO NOT GET A HAMMOCK!! You will not look like a real outdoors person. Only tents fit the perceived image of a real outdoors person!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Hate it...hate it...hate it! If it wasn't frequently more convenient then tent camping and didn't provide the most comfortable nights on the trail, I'd never use it. But then, I started with a Hennessy and it's stock tarp from which I still haven't upgraded. And although I added snakeskins I haven't added anything else beyond a 7oz pad so I haven't suffered through the complexities of a "proper Hammock setup."

Seriously, staying warm has a learning curve. And I can't sleep on my stomach comfortably but that's not much of a loss for me. But what I probably miss the most is the ability to spread out...have all my toys and accouterments set about the tent. Oh yeah...at my skill level, ya' gotta have trees, too!

That's the best I can do on 'negatives' of a hammock system.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

I've only hammocked a few times, but I found that tossing and turning frequently would cause the hammock to experience additional small motions that distracted me from the task of falling asleep. I also have problems falling asleep on water beds.

I use both. The hammock for warmer weather and the tent when it's cold out. I'm a cold sleeper and a tent keeps me much warmer. However I love my hammock and for me the expense and bulk that I would need for my hammock I would rather tent out. But you will never have as comfortable night of rest in a tent as you will in a hammock. Unless you have a partner that you really like then the tent hands down. ;-)

I do both, as far as skins go (snake skins that is) I don't use them because if its raining out I don't want to pack up my hammock with a wet tarp. They are fine for just the tarp though.
    Also if you want to do it right for 3 seasons its an expensive setup going with down tops and unders. Pads never worked for me, shifting sweating. Nothing like down.

I'd prefer to have less competition for great hanging spots, I think you should give the cold, hard ground more serious consideration.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Talking you OUT of a hammock? Aint gonna happen in this forum.

If you are a confirmed stomach sleeper, you might not like them. But my wife was a confirmed stomach sleeper until she tried my hammock. Now she is a side sleeper and loves her hammock.

It IS more difficult to write in a journal in a hammock than in a tent. I compensate my sitting in the hammock, sideways, and writing in a journal on my thigh. Not quite as nice as laying on my stomach in a tent, but not bad. That's about the only way a tent might be nicer than my hammock setup.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I really wanted to use a hammock and tried a Hennessey for a while. I could not get warm enough no matter what setup I used with it. When I'm cold I can't sleep so that ended it right there. However, I have a back injury and my back pain skyrocketed whenever I tried to sleep in the hammock. I need a flat surface to sleep on.

I think they're a great option to have but they aren't for everyone. HYOH.

Images

The downsides of a hammock
    1. more / different gear to keep warm & dry in winter
    2. can't sleep on stomach
    3. need trees
    4. can't share a bed

The upsides of a hammock
    1. lighter & smaller than a tent
    2. make camp on a hillside
    3. better ventilation & cooler in summer
    4. way more comfy
    5. better suited for LNT
    6. better for stealth camps
    7. can't share a bed
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

The only advantage I can see for a hammock is the "camp anywhere there are two 6" or larger diameter trees about 7 feet apart" aspect.

As for the way more comfy claim, I don't find it so. My spine much prefers a nice flat and firm surface to lay on, not bent in a U laying in a hammock. In fact, the first time I used a hammock on the trail, I ended up at a Chiropractors office getting some pinched nerves unpinched. In fact, most Chiropractors take a very dim view of hammocks. Something to consider...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The only advantage I can see for a hammock is the "camp anywhere there are two 6" or larger diameter trees about 7 feet apart" aspect.
    You really need about 12-15' to get good and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My spine much prefers a nice flat and firm surface to lay on, not bent in a U laying in a hammock.
    You're doing it wrong.

Slo-go'en, you can definitely lay flay in a hammock, a "U" sleeping postion is entirely avoidable. It's all about hang, sag and technique. There is a definite learning curve to hammocking and it takes a while to find what is comfortable for you. Finding your sweet spot takes a lot of experimentation, but when you find it, man is it awesome! Sorry you didn't have a good experience with it, but it really isn't for everyone.

To the OP, check out Hammock Forums. Definitely your source for all things hammocking. You don't have the haters and detractors there to deal with.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammocks are AWFUL!!!!
    NEVER, EVER BUY ONE!!!!

How am I doing ??
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bwendel07 View Post
    Hamocks are not as comfortable for the side and stomack sleeper.
    Ah, 'tis not so. I'm a dedicated side sleeper and and am very comfortable in my hammock for nearly 5 years now. You need a hammock with a very flat lay for the stomach sleeper, though. A bridge hammock is a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by bwendel07 View Post
    Its colder (which in the summer may not be a problem)
    Not so. Regardless of sleeping in a hammock or tent, the temperature outside is the same.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

To me it seems that most hammocks are a bit heavier compared to a tarp/ tarp tent. And some of the tarp that go with the hammock dont seem to protect the sleeper very well.

Images

I like hammocks for resting, but NOT for sleeping - a light tent, like an MSR Hubba (1 person) gives you so much more of everything - a vestibule to keep your stuff in when it's raining, a place for a friend to sit - a place to organize things, sit up, read, write, have a candle, etc. I'm super careful and cook in my vestibule too sometimes - be very careful if you are a newbie and try this though (you can suffocate, they say) I also particularly like to sleep flat and don't need evenly spaced trees for the set-up. Seems like packing up a wet hammock fly is about the same as packing up a wet tent fly - it's not so bad, just shake it out really good, etc. HYOH and do your own thing, but I have done some section hikes with a hammock and I personally think a tent or a tarp is the best.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++