WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thru Hike Spring 2012

Hi,
    I am a 19 year old looking to thru hike next spring. I will probably be taking my time, and will have a better sense of mileage. I would also want to do some hikes this summer in the White Mountains (maybe 2 or 3 weeks) to sort of do a trail run with potential hiking partners. Anyone Interested?

haha correction. I meant to type "I will probably be taking my time, and will have a better sense of mileage per day this summer."

Hey,

Fellow natic masshole here. Just moved to NJ. I'm doing a MA->NJ hike at the end of may/first week of june if you're down?

How much time are you looking to spend? That's my only constraint this summer.

Anyone else looking to do a NOBO through in late feb. 2012 that could go with me?

I'll be hitting springer around the beginning of April! (albeit i have enough moeny saved)

Images

am planning to go mar 15 2012

I'm planning on Feb 2012 as well.

I will starting mid February (trying for the 15th) 2012 going NOBO. So far its me and my Bernese Mountain Dog, Foo. I am always eager to meet up with new people as my current circle of friends would cry without tv and other luxuries.

I will be 36 come next Feb, I am a man at 6' 240lbs former military (USAF). My ever faithful four legged companion is a large dog weighing in at about 120ish and is a lover, a gentle giant. My own personal space heater for when the temps drop.

If anyone is interested you can drop a pm and Foo and I will get back to you.

Foo and I and my lovely family live here in Rocksylvannia and we have hiked all over. I have done two weeks in an Mexican rain forest while doing research in school, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Moab area, the killer waterfall circuits up in Vermont and NH. And of course my dog and I have sectioned hiked the trail in PA, NJ, NY, MD.

We are both a exercise and nutrition plan now in preparation. We look forward to seeing everyone come next Feb as we head up Springer.

I'm leaving this Saturday (5/21) from Mt Everett in MA....ending up on Longhouse Drive in NJ....around 6/2

I'm about to turn 18, planning on leaving late February or March to thru hike the AT. I plan on taking my time. I live in Georgia, right near the southern terminus at Springer. I am female, and as of right now I have no hiking partner. My parents don't like the idea of me going off to thru hike the AT alone for some reason... so I'm really hoping to find a partner or a group to join!

Default February Start NOBO

I'm looking at Ground Hogs Day 2012!

Working on Forestry Grad schol

unless you're specifically planning to go slower than average for some reason, a February start is probably a bit early.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    unless you're specifically planning to go slower than average for some reason, a February start is probably a bit early.

A bit early for who? Why?

That's the time I'm going! And it will take me as long as it takes!

H Y O H

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    A bit early for who? Why?
    A bit early for anyone who actually expects to complete a thru hike.

Why? The weather sucks. It's wicked cold, there are frequent and nasty storms and there aren't many hours of daylight to hike in. Very few hikers who start in Feb or even early March stay on the trail for very long.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

not to mention if the groundhog sees his shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A bit early for anyone who actually expects to complete a thru hike.

Why? The weather sucks. It's wicked cold, there are frequent and nasty storms and there aren't many hours of daylight to hike in. Very few hikers who start in Feb or even early March stay on the trail for very long.
    I do expect to complete my thru. So it's just me and the rodent 2/2/12.

Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, United States

I am looking to start mid to late march, will be going slow myself, hope to see all of you next year

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Unless you plan on enjoying a slower than average hike, sarting in FEB will put you in a lot of undesirable conditions. If I came across as trying to tell you how to hike, then I didn't speak carefully enough--sorry. If you want to take 8-9 months to thru, then a feb start is probably smart.

FEB in the south isn't awful if you like cold. But the days are short and you'll be chilling alone in shelters a lot. You'll run across a lot of hiker services that won't be open.

You're also putting yourself in the north during biting insect/bug/tick season. The group that was in the northern mid-atlantic in May/early june the year I hiked had a lot of people (20-35% of hikers, would be my guess) catching lyme (including me, not fun). Then you'll be up in vermont during black fly season, and maine during the peak of mosquito season, and you won't get to see the colors change in the northeast.

Hope this post helps to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Hi Scott. I do intend on a slow hike. That and I have some cold weather gear that I want to use. I'm taking seven to eight months to enjoy the A.T.. The weight from my FTRSS and pack boots and extra reserve of food and fuel will slow me down.
    I know this thread is on hooking up but I wanted to know how many crazies will be out there in February.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++