WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cumberland Farms inquiry

I have noticed that in the North a store called Cumberland Farms pops up frequently in various listings. I checked their website but it still left me unclear as to what exactly this store is. Is it a grocery store or a convenience store with limited resupply options? If someone who has experience with this business could expand on their operation I would be most appreciative.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I saw a few and went to a couple - one in Dalton, MA (I believe) and another in Gorham, NH.

It's a convenience store for the most part. The one in Gorham actually had a pretty good amount of food that I thought was suitable for backpacking.

Most importantly, it had a very large coffee section with really large cups.

It's a convenience store chain located primarily in New England and New York although there may be some in PA as well. Usually there are gas pumps as well.

Since you're from KY, think a slightly larger version of SpeedWays - more like the size of Circle K.

BTW in New England, many small towns have both a Cumberland Falls and a Stewarts. When faced with a choice, keep in mind that Stewarts has outstanding ice cream.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 01-26-2011 at 17:45.

Hahah. Cumberland Farms, thought you were asking about a farm.

Cumbys is a convience store, usually connected with a gas station. They have microwavable burritos called the "Bomb", literal meaning going in and coming out...

Journal Entries

It's limited supply, but it has Ramen and Snickers, so you will survive.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Thumbs up Cumbies

I just came from the Gorham Cumberland Farms, They have a very good selection, Ice cream, candy, donuts, cookies, coffee and coffee supplies, paper goods, pre-packaged sandwiches and wraps, burritos, an ATM machine, milk, soda, gatoraide, bottled water etc..., eggs, bacon, bread, fruit, pepperoni, chips, nuts, cereal, canned goods, They don't have as many options as a grocery store but you could find enough choices to resupply for a week if you needed to.
    The Gorham Cumbies also has a Subway Sandwich shop right next to it. Yum Yum
    Last edited by Mountain Wildman; 01-26-2011 at 19:01. Reason: Added

Other folks have already told you......it's one of the largest chains of convenience stores in New England and is found in many northern Trail towns. Yes, you can re-supply here, but it's gonna cost you. Funny thing, but they seem to do convenience stores much better in other parts of the country......compared to places like Wawa's or Sheet's, Cumby's has a long way to go.

Images

Great, now I got that silly Cumbie farms tune stuck in my head....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    ~
    The Gorham Cumbies also has a Subway Sandwich shop right next to it. Yum Yum
    ...soon to be moving to the vacant bank, a few doors down.
    Roland

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Cumbies!

Rhody's gift (?) to those looking for milk, eggs and other sundries through-out New England when snow storms hit...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    ..... Funny thing, but they seem to do convenience stores much better in other parts of the country......compared to places like Wawa's or Sheet's, Cumby's has a long way to go.
    But none of those other places nor do Speedway nor Circle K nor Go Mart nor Turkey Hill nor Rutters - none of them has ice cream like Stewart's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Other folks have already told you......it's one of the largest chains of convenience stores in New England and is found in many northern Trail towns. Yes, you can re-supply here, but it's gonna cost you. Funny thing, but they seem to do convenience stores much better in other parts of the country......compared to places like Wawa's or Sheet's, Cumby's has a long way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    But none of those other places nor do Speedway nor Circle K nor Go Mart nor Turkey Hill nor Rutters - none of them has ice cream like Stewart's.
    yes, but nothing stacks up like WaWa's or Sheet's. Anything else is trailer park shopping. (although I do agree with cooker on Stewarts Ice Cream - It is my Keene Valley stop.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

No one mentioned it, but Cumbys does have BEER and BACON as well. Add in a few Snickers bars and I think resupply is covered.
    Seriously, I wouldn't want to limit my resupply to what any convenience store stocks though.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Seriously, I wouldn't want to limit my resupply to what any convenience store stocks though.

Don't do the CDT!

I re-supplied at at Conoco and a place called "A sort of store" (seriously) in Leadore, ID.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I resupplied at Cumberland Farms at Greenwood Lake, NY. It's like a convenience store with limited supply. It may satisfy your needs if you are not too picky about the food. There're also a CVS store in the small town.
    The motel near the water front is expensive during summer. The owner is an old friendly guy and asked me for $75 a night for a one bed. I ended up sharing the room with other two thru hikers.

The other convenience store chain in northern New England is Irvings Mainway stores. Very similiar to Cumberland Farms. They usually have fresh pastries and cheap bananas. Irving is an oil company and also supplies gas to independent stations, so on occasion in real small towns you will see an Irvings sign but its just a gas station. Irving is based out of New Brunswick Canada so they taper off once you get out of Maine and NH.

There is an Irvings about 2 blocks down the road from Hikers Paradise and a couple of the popular motels in Gorham NH. It supplies plenty of junk food for hikers coming into town, but Cumberland Farms is the the first store encoutered. The Iriving in Medway ME is the closest bus stop to Mt Katahdin so a lot of through hikers end up stopping there even though its more of a truck stop (there are far better places in Millinocket for SOBO's to stop. On occasion there will be a diner or a sandwich shop attached (but not in Gorham or Medway).

Occasionally lucid

Going back to their roots, Cumberland Farms usually has a better dairy selection than most convenience stores. Also, cheapest gas in the NE.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikemor View Post
    Going back to their roots, Cumberland Farms usually has a better dairy selection than most convenience stores. Also, cheapest gas in the NE.
    And when i was a working stiff up north, some damn good coffee in the a.m.'s too......
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Thumbs up Wrong state...

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Cumbies!

Rhody's gift (?) to those looking for milk, eggs and other sundries through-out New England when snow storms hit...
    "Buy milk...buy bread...buy booze...rent videos! It's going to snow...we're all going to DIE!!!" - reaction of a typical Rhode Islander to ANY forecast of snow!

Although there is a Cumberland, Rhode Island, Cumberland Farms is actually based in Massachusetts. A good chain with good prices.

If you are in Little Rhody, check out a chain called "L'il General". They have all of the usual convenience store features, a lot of fresh veggies and an AWESOME deli counter!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 01-27-2011 at 15:13. Reason: Tipo...typeo...tupo...typo!!!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Scumby's!! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++