WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TABAs Guide

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    Sections 15 & 16 are rerouted onto some very nice trail as much as they can be. My compliments to the trail builders on such a great job out there. To the maintained who cleaned up the Shortoff Mountain trail down to Linville River, thank you! That section was so overgrown with thorns you couldn't get through without tearing your clothes or skin. That must have bee a huge task for you.

The final part of the BRP is planned to be rerouted but not sure of the proposed route or if it will become official anytime soon. Personally I enjoy the tunnels through there.
    So sections 2 and 3 are still roadwalk?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Not sure yet but will find out soon. I think you can pick your route between the 2 but if it's not blazed or designated I will not be adding it into the Manual and will continue on the road possibly unless the FMST wants me to change it. The Manual is to route the trail according to what the organization says where the trail is.

2010 complete

Taba, The guide is a great help. Thank you. I wanted to point out that the map of Skyland is not oriented North. Thanks for all you do.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I talked to the area task force leader not long ago. There are some road walks on 2 & 3. Sec. 3 is getting closer to being completed.

Last I saw, you don't see trail until halfway down from Waterrock Knob to Balsam Gap.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I talked to the area task force leader not long ago. There are some road walks on 2 & 3. Sec. 3 is getting closer to being completed.

Last I saw, you don't see trail until halfway down from Waterrock Knob to Balsam Gap.
    How does someone not plugged into the grapevine find the relocated trail?

For instance, if my wife and I drove to Oconoluftee where we last finished and started walking up the BRP per Taba's guide would there be any indicators saying to move from the BRP to trail?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For most of the BRP section, when ever trail crossees or turns off/onto the BRP, you should see some post markers. http://mstwatauga.blogspot.com/2011/...lant-post.html

Last time I was up at Waterrock, there was a post pointing toward white/blue dot blaze around Woodfin Cascade overlook. The route then climbs down graded trail/dirt roads to Orchards Overlook. Then small road walk back on BRP across the highway at Balsam Gap where there is more established trail.

PMing you a contact for the area.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    Taba, The guide is a great help. Thank you. I wanted to point out that the map of Skyland is not oriented North. Thanks for all you do.
    I didn't mean to reply so strongly earlier. I have hears so many people say that the MST isn't thru-hiker friendly when it actually is. I feel like I am the only one who believes this. My apologies to you. It really wasn't guides to you specifically. I hope you have a wonderful adventure out here. I am always here to answer questions. If you have the Manauls you have my cell phone number and email address. You can always ask the questions here as well.

Just finished my 4th thru-hike of the MST. Summited Clingman's Dome at 4:25 pm. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Images

Congrats on the hike.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++