WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wood's Hole, when Tillie was still there. There was no mail drops, no store runs, no town folk, just hikers starting off on a new adventure. And having breakfast with "grandma".

Ok, i guess it would tie with Shaw's. When Keith and Pat were there. I was determined not to have dinner with my fellow hikers, I had enough food stockpiled. Then Mr. Shaw brought out the moose meat. Who could say no? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Wood's Hole, when Tillie was still there. There was no mail drops, no store runs, no town folk, just hikers starting off on a new adventure. And having breakfast with "grandma".
    I did 3 days at woods hole on my 2010 thru, it is a great place. Probably one of my favorites on my thru, although everywhere else I stayed at was good as well. By the way, the breakfasts and every other meal there is still really good. All the food I ate on my thru was another fond memory of it.

Journal Entries

The hostel regime has expanded greatly since I walked home in 1993, but the hostels that stand out in my mind are Rusty's, Bears Den. Iron Masters, a garage in New York, and Shaw's.

The Cabin in Andover wasn't open then, but I've stayed there numerous times. I can't imagine a better hostel. But I'm prejudiced. Marge (Honey) is my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    B&B and a hotel. neither is a hostel
    If it's on the trail and relatively inexpensive it's a hostel to me. Another pointless semantic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Another pointless semantic thing.
    Mr Webster just rolled over in his grave.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    But I'm prejudiced. Marge (Honey) is my sister.
    How about that! She's a good cook.

I stayed 2 nights at the Cabin and did some mighty nice slackpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Mr Webster just rolled over in his grave.
    The key world there is "grave".

Blueberry Patch!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple might be considered B&B's but here is a list of places that my wife and I loved and definitely would return to:

Hiker Hostel
    Standing Bear
    Mountain Harbour
    Kincora
    Woods Hole
    Bears Den
    The Dutch Haus
    Church of the Mountain
    Green Mountain House
    Shaws Boarding House

Journal Entries

The Hiker Hostel is $15 and is worth $100. That's a nice joint, I'd rank it as my top place,

The Lake Shore in Maine is pretty great for food, the folks, and Rebecca, the owner is an amazing lady. All you can eat specials usually are popular with hikers.

The Doyle isn't a hostel, but it's the Mecca of the AT, a place all should pilgrimmage to each year, and the town of Duncannon is a symbol of hope and freedom for hikers all over the world.

I had some bad places out there, that if given the chance to do over again, I would skip..cough.. Standing bear... Cough.

Images

at 25 a night the doyle sure is hostel priced so i give em the benefit of the doubt.. cheap price + communal bathroom = hostel. free state hostel was sweet too, that and bears den. a place that lets you use the internet and make FREE long distance phone calls is a cut above IMO. the fact that free state housed me off season on a holiday (thanksgiving) when i just randomly showed up at their doorstep will always give them a special spot in my heart. bears den is sweet since they will allow you free range over a well equipped kitchen to do your Chef Ramsey-est bidding. negative vibes and points to the towns inn hostel in harpers ferry trying to charge me and another hiking couple 70 dollars a night because it was off season (so on your slowest times when renters are few and hard to come by you RAISE your rates???!!) 70 dollars for a tiny room, communal bathroom on a separate flloor, and no tv?? no thanks for that price i stayed at the comfort inn, watched a few football games (and caught most of princess bride!) and stuffed myself on the included continental breakfast. Biscuits and gravy included?? yes i will have seconds thank you. even when i go thru harpers during hiking season, ill be staying at the comfort
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Right. I couldn't help but notice that they were selling people's goods, down vests and such, if a package wasn't picked up by a given time. Didn't they ever think that it might be nice if they returned people's property to them (return address on package)?

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I had some bad places out there, that if given the chance to do over again, I would skip..cough.. Standing bear... Cough.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Best Hostels

I guess you have to consider what a true hostel is and what other hiker rest stops to sleep should be called.
    I'm going to list what I consider a true hostel used by AT hikers and the ones I stopped at.
    First was the Blueberry Patch, Standing Bear Farm, The Place, Rusty's, Kincora, Palmerton Jail Hostel, Iron Masters, Church of the Mountain, Hikers Welcome, Gull Pond. Stopped for the night in many other spots, but the ones I have listed I cosider real hostels.
    Grampie-N->2001

walasi-yi was a good hostel back in the day when jeff and dorothy had it. used to serve dinner and breakfast. the hostel at NOC was good back in the day. Fontana village had a good one. the Jesuit hostel in Hot Springs was a favorite. the hostel at the Nolichucky river was a really good one. Braemer Castle is my favorite

Images

Braemer Castle is my favorite
    that is a great one. the accomodations in that place are really nice for the money you pay.

we cooked an entire thanksgiving dinner in that kitchen in '01.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    that is a great one. the accomodations in that place are really nice for the money you pay.

we cooked an entire thanksgiving dinner in that kitchen in '01.
    and nobody goes there. they all stay at kincora which to me is very inferior

Images

and nobody goes there. they all stay at kincora which to me is very inferior
    yeah, braemer was so nice that i was shocked that it didn't receive any hype on the trail.

for the record though, i only did the 8 miles the next day so i could experience kincora as well.

bob even drove to braemer to bring our t-giving leftovers to kincora for us. that was pretty damn cool.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Just got off the trail after a great (although wet) section hike. Had the chance to stay at Woodshole and was very impressed. They really take care of hikers.

Read some of the earlier posts and I have to say there are still plenty of good folks hosting hikers on the AT.

i could live the rest of my life at standing bear, blubberry patch , the church at perisberg, the place in damascus or kinncorra.

but if i had only one night to live, it would be rm 23. witch is a hostel to me as ive never paid to stay there.
    matthewski

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++