WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Granite Gear Packs - Anyone try...

First thread/First Post

The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian or the Granite Gear Vapor Flash Pack? I realize some may consider these "Light" and not "UL". However, I like to pursue "UL", get as light as possible, and then allow for compromises depending on my needs. After reading a few reviews, watching videos (including an impressive durability test which involved several packs being drawn behind a car at different speeds) the appeal of the GG pack is it's unyielding durability.

Since I am planning a thru-hike, I'd like my pack to be as light as possible, have enough space to offer slightly more room if I need it, and durability. If you've tried these bags, how were the straps/belt? Do you/did you enjoy the bag overall? And since people who haven't used the bag will still want to weigh-in, whats Granite Gear's rep as a company? Is a 3lbs bag "too heavy" for the thru-hike?

Go to your local REI and give them a test drive

If you want an adjustable frame, the Nimbus series is ideal. Can adjust the shoulder harness up and down in inch increments. A great thing for people like me whose measurements are at the low end of regular and the high limit of short (sizes). Shoulder straps can be adjusted wider or narrower, and the hip belt exchanged for a larger/smaller or more/less padded version.

The Vapor series, as I understand it, is not adjustable, unless they have changed them since the last time I looked at the GG pack line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Go to your local REI and give them a test drive
    Wouldn't buy without a try. Just getting feedback here to potentially save me some drive time.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    If you want an adjustable frame, the Nimbus series is ideal. Can adjust the shoulder harness up and down in inch increments. A great thing for people like me whose measurements are at the low end of regular and the high limit of short (sizes).
    That's actually perfect for me, as I'm at the high limit of short.

I know my Vapor Trail isn't adjustable, so if that's a priority you may want to look at the other models. If you find one that fits you well, however, the VT has been very comfy and durable for me.

Images

GG makes great packs...i've used a Nimbus Ozone for winter hiking when my weight is going to be heavy and loved it...they are coming out with a new back design in 2011, with more ventilation, so i'd check those out...

as far as a company goes (full disclosure, i work for a store that carries them), they are GREAT! here at the store, we have extra hip belts and shoulder straps that we commonly replace for thru hikers during the season...many people start with a Large hip belt (for example) but by the time they get to damascus, need a medium...we change it out for free...also, they are VERY committed to the trail and trail days...the REP for this area is on the trail days board and is very influential in getting that festival together...he is down in tent city fixing all types of bags, sewing straps and what not...GG stands by their products and is a good company to support...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    GG makes great packs...i've used a Nimbus Ozone for winter hiking when my weight is going to be heavy and loved it...they are coming out with a new back design in 2011, with more ventilation, so i'd check those out...

as far as a company goes (full disclosure, i work for a store that carries them), they are GREAT! here at the store, we have extra hip belts and shoulder straps that we commonly replace for thru hikers during the season...many people start with a Large hip belt (for example) but by the time they get to damascus, need a medium...we change it out for free...also, they are VERY committed to the trail and trail days...the REP for this area is on the trail days board and is very influential in getting that festival together...he is down in tent city fixing all types of bags, sewing straps and what not...GG stands by their products and is a good company to support...
    Thanks for the helpful and positive post. PM more info on your store if you don't mind!

Images

Default Carry really well

I used Nimbus Meridian on the PCT and CDT, as well as on many hikes near home and for trail crew weeks. It's a bit heavy at 3-1/2 lbs, but I really like how comfortably I can carry a lot of weight----like when I carried 7 liters of water and 6 days of food (about 28 lbs above my base weight) on the PCT. I think this is because the frame sheet that the straps and hip belt connect to is very effective at transferring the weight to ones hips. If you don't use the lid for a fanny pack, you can cut out the straps and save a little weight, or you can ditch the top altogether in which case, you've converted it to a Nimbus Ozone. I, too, can vouch for great service by Granite Gear.

Don't bother going to REI to compare. At least neither of the Pittsburgh stores carry the packs. Check with Granite Gear to find out who carries there packs in your locale.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Many people love granite gear packs, I am just not one of them. I have found the Vapor Series do not carry enough weight to warrant their 3lbs. The Nimbus Series are better in my opinion for somebody that wants to buy Granite Gear. I only carry about 25lbs max so I would rather have a pack that would carry that weight comfortably, and still weigh close to a pound. If you need the ability to carry 30 lbs, I would not recommend the Vapor Series. You should look at the Nimbus. If you let us know how much weight you are planning on carrying, I feel that we could help you more.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
    Many people love granite gear packs, I am just not one of them. I have found the Vapor Series do not carry enough weight to warrant their 3lbs. The Nimbus Series are better in my opinion for somebody that wants to buy Granite Gear. I only carry about 25lbs max so I would rather have a pack that would carry that weight comfortably, and still weigh close to a pound. If you need the ability to carry 30 lbs, I would not recommend the Vapor Series. You should look at the Nimbus. If you let us know how much weight you are planning on carrying, I feel that we could help you more.
    My cold weather sleep system:
    Sleeping Bag: Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree Down Mummy
    Weight: 59 OZ

Hammock: Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite ASYM Zip
    Weight: apprx. 28.5 OZ (w/acc)

Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad - Small
    Weight: 9 OZ

Liner: Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner
    Weight: 14 OZ
    Note: I’ll take the extra weight because I’m a skinny guy and my extremities get cold easily. I’m taking down-slippers for the same reason. The liner will likely become my 'sleeping bag' when it get's hot enough. I'm looking into the new Sea to Summit Micro bag for my main warm weather bag.

Sleep System Acc: 2 MSR Ground Hog Stakes (1.5 OZ), Nunatak Teanaway Down Pertex Quantum Slipper (3 OZ)

Total: 115 OZ

I have a pocket rocket (3 OZ), iso fuel (4 OZ), MSR Titan (4.2 OZ), REI Ti Ware Folding Spork (0.4 OZ), Sea to Summit Travelling Light 13 liter Dry Sack (1.6 OZ), MSR 3 liter hydration bladder with 2 liters of water (apprx. 75.8 OZ) Katadyn Pocket (19 OZ)

Total: 108 OZ

So there's 223 OZ (about 14 lbs), without food, clothes, or the little extras.

Carry about the same as you stated above. I have an Alpine Vapor and love it. Wish I would have had it when I did the trail! Not sure I could say enough positives about it and really can't say anything negative.
    SweetAss

My cold weather sleep system:
    Sleeping Bag: Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree Down Mummy
    Weight: 59 OZ

Hammock: Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite ASYM Zip
    Weight: apprx. 28.5 OZ (w/acc)

Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad - Small
    Weight: 9 OZ

Liner: Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner
    Weight: 14 OZ
    Note: I’ll take the extra weight because I’m a skinny guy and my extremities get cold easily. I’m taking down-slippers for the same reason. The liner will likely become my 'sleeping bag' when it get's hot enough. I'm looking into the new Sea to Summit Micro bag for my main warm weather bag.

Sleep System Acc: 2 MSR Ground Hog Stakes (1.5 OZ), Nunatak Teanaway Down Pertex Quantum Slipper (3 OZ)

Total: 115 OZ

I have a pocket rocket (3 OZ), iso fuel (4 OZ), MSR Titan (4.2 OZ), REI Ti Ware Folding Spork (0.4 OZ), Sea to Summit Travelling Light 13 liter Dry Sack (1.6 OZ), MSR 3 liter hydration bladder with 2 liters of water (apprx. 75.8 OZ) Katadyn Pocket (19 OZ)

Total: 108 OZ

So there's 223 OZ (about 14 lbs), without food, clothes, or the little extras.
    That's a pretty good weight to have for the Nimbus packs. I have just found the Vapor Series to not carry well close to their claimed ability. Depending on the bulk, you may need a larger pack. I believe the Vapor Trail is including it's ridiculous expandable collar when it mentions its volume as I found it pretty small compared to its claimed volume. Everybody is right though; you should bring your gear to a store and try on a few different packs. You may end up loving one that you hadn't even considered.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Images

Default Nm

Quote Originally Posted by henrygale View Post
    First thread/First Post

The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian or the Granite Gear Vapor Flash Pack? ...the appeal of the GG pack is it's unyielding durability.

Since I am planning a thru-hike, I'd like my pack to be as light as possible, have enough space to offer slightly more room if I need it, and durability. If you've tried these bags, how were the straps/belt? Do you/did you enjoy the bag overall? And since people who haven't used the bag will still want to weigh-in, whats Granite Gear's rep as a company? Is a 3lbs bag "too heavy" for the thru-hike?
    First of all, I haven't thru'd, so take this response for the limited experience that I have specifically with these packs as a "weekend warrior +".

I've got the Nimbus Meridian. I started with the Latitude Vapor and found I was a 'tweener for the Vapor Suspension - which I really preferred for the exterior hydration pocket. Its really easy to get a great fit with the NM's adjustable suspension. I find the verticle zipper on the front (back?) to be mostly useless except for unloading. I loved the verticle zippers on the Latitude, but unlike the NM, it had stretchy material around the zippers. Operating the zipper on the NM is very hard to do when the pack is full - even to unzip, but near impossible to zip back up if you just wanted access to something. However, based on your gear list it might work because you would not fill up that pack.

The Vapor Flash looks like an updated Meridian Vapor which I also tried out. Didn't have enough volume for me, weight was not significantly better than the NM per volume, and same zipper issue. Looks like the VF doesn't have the vertical zipper. I see it also has holes to run the compression straps underneath the side pockets - I always considered that to be a non-issue despite many folks barking about it (NM doesn't have that unless its been updated).

I blew out the NM on my first hike with it, but it was my fault. Still, GG replaced it - I kept the suspension and sent the rest back to them, they sent me a new one. Great company. IMO, there are many more durable packs than either of these, but not so much that you shouldn't still consider getting a GG pack for a thru. Its just that they use lots of sil for the body of the pack. Cordura is used in the right places, but its still a pack that requires at least some care about packing it.

To me, the appeal of GG is the "unyielding" comfort of their waist and shoulder straps, which are pretty much unlike most of what is out there. That and their customer service, including that they totally stand behind their product.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Don't forget about the Virga for a tried and true UL pack/rucksack. Not much flexibility with sizing but it worked great for my UL setup.
    -milkman

got soul?

Smile GG Vapor Trail

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
    I believe the Vapor Trail is including it's ridiculous expandable collar when it mentions its volume as I found it pretty small compared to its claimed volume.
    Laughed when I read this, as I definitely understand the sentiment. 80% of the time, it's just another thing you have to roll up. It does occasionally come in handy when you're able to put something light up top, though, and it's in those moments you come to appreciate it.

That being said, if you need to store more/bulkier stuff, a bigger bag might not be a bad choice. But with a base weight of under 15 lbs., the Vapor Trail might at least be worth a look. Comfy, comfy, comfy!

Images

I haven't used the packs you mentioned but I only use two packs these days. Both are Granite Gear - the Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone. I love 'em both!

Images

I have the GG AC-60, not the lightest pack in the world, but it is solid, comfortable and stable.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblisters View Post
    Don't forget about the Virga for a tried and true UL pack/rucksack. Not much flexibility with sizing but it worked great for my UL setup.

I love my Virga!!!! don't pack more than 25lbs max weight though

Images

the vapor trail can carry up to 30lbs pretty easily if u know what your doing. if you put your stuff into the pack properly u should have no problem. the only day your going to carry 30lbs would most likely b the first day on the trail. each day after your pack should be geting lighter as food disappears. i have never had an issue with the vapor trail other than the funky color they now have. the sage color was the bomb!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++