WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Long Trail in May

Will the Long Trail be a muddy, buggy, slushy mess in May? I have the month off and am looking for a good month-long hike that I haven't done before. I love VT, but am wondering if it would be a mistake to thru-hike the LT this early in the season.
    Swiss Miss
    AT '06
    PCT '10

Quote Originally Posted by LEM15 View Post
    Will the Long Trail be a muddy, buggy, slushy mess in May? I have the month off and am looking for a good month-long hike that I haven't done before. I love VT, but am wondering if it would be a mistake to thru-hike the LT this early in the season.
    yup. too early

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

The Green Mt. Club advises hiking the LT until late May (they usually ask to not hike the LT until after Memorial Day weekend).
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I think you'll appreciate the LT more between mid-August and mid-October.

Since your timeframe is May, other trails of comparable length are:
    1. Allegheny Trail in WV (about 290 miles) - I spent a lot of time planning this for a hike in 2010 but had to end the hike after an injury to my hiking partner. Parts of the trail might be overgrown but it's very well-blazed
    2. Sheltowee Trace in KY (280 miles) - runs on a SW-NE axis from the KY/TN border up to near the Ohio River in Daniel Boone National Forest plus portions in Big South Fork and several state parks
    3. Tuscarora Trail VA-WV-MD-PA (260 miles) - leaves the AT at Elk Wallow picnic area in Shenandoah NP, heads west down the Blue Ridge, up the Massanuten Ridge then to Great North Mountain into WV, north to the Potomac, across to MD and over to PA where it follows a ridge and rejoins the AT south of Duncannon.
    4. Mid-State Trail in PA - don't know the mileage but it's at least 200 through the center of PA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I think you'll appreciate the LT more between mid-August and mid-October.

Since your timeframe is May, other trails of comparable length are:
    1. Allegheny Trail in WV (about 290 miles) - I spent a lot of time planning this for a hike in 2010 but had to end the hike after an injury to my hiking partner. Parts of the trail might be overgrown but it's very well-blazed
    2. Sheltowee Trace in KY (280 miles) - runs on a SW-NE axis from the KY/TN border up to near the Ohio River in Daniel Boone National Forest plus portions in Big South Fork and several state parks
    3. Tuscarora Trail VA-WV-MD-PA (260 miles) - leaves the AT at Elk Wallow picnic area in Shenandoah NP, heads west down the Blue Ridge, up the Massanuten Ridge then to Great North Mountain into WV, north to the Potomac, across to MD and over to PA where it follows a ridge and rejoins the AT south of Duncannon.
    4. Mid-State Trail in PA - don't know the mileage but it's at least 200 through the center of PA.

What about the John Muir Trail out in Calif? Too early in the season for that? It's length is comparable to the LT, and the scenery incomparable.

To the OP: I believe the Ouachita Trail in Arkansas is also of similar length and it would be plenty warm by then. You'd have to reckon with thunderstorms and, by late May, it could get good and hot.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    [/LIST]

To the OP: I believe the Ouachita Trail in Arkansas is also of similar length and it would be plenty warm by then. You'd have to reckon with thunderstorms and, by late May, it could get good and hot.
    I've hiked in AR in May a few times and would not recommend it. The trail is overgrown to the point of being hard to follow in places, the ticks are horrible, mosquitos are starting to hatch, and it is approaching being too hot.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    I've hiked in AR in May a few times and would not recommend it. The trail is overgrown to the point of being hard to follow in places, the ticks are horrible, mosquitos are starting to hatch, and it is approaching being too hot.
    1000% agreed i tryd the ozark highland trail from its start to mulbery mountain for wakarusa music festival.. it was overgrown with nothing but poisionus plants ticks were evrywhre it was a straight mess all in all prob wont hike there again like that but it was pretty..

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Bugs don't have calendars... they come out whenever it's inconvenient for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    1000% agreed i tryd the ozark highland trail from its start to mulbery mountain for wakarusa music festival.. it was overgrown with nothing but poisionus plants ticks were evrywhre it was a straight mess all in all prob wont hike there again like that but it was pretty..
    Hmmm. Thank you both for this. I haven't hiked either of these trails, though I grew up in Arkansas - have hiked other, short, busy trails such as Petit Jean and Pinnacle Mtn.

Either of you know if the overgrown-ness is less of an issue some times of the year? I imagine November would be OK, maybe February. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

[QUOTE=Driver8;1099324][/LIST]
    What about the John Muir Trail out in Calif? Too early in the season for that? It's length is comparable to the LT, and the scenery incomparable.

Much too early for the JMT; would still be covered in snow.

Journal Entries

For that time of year, perhaps The Benton Mackaye Trail might be best.

It will have hikers on it, but not too many, it cross crosses the AT a few times so you get to see thru hikers beginning, and the blooms on Azalea and Rhody's may be in play, which could be spectacular. Plus it goes into the Smokies, in may, perfect.
    I think it's about 300 miles.

Long Trail is a great fall trail.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we did it in May. rained for 8 days straight, no lie.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

If you like to be cold, wet and knee deep in mud all the time, go for it!

Personally, I head to your neck of the woods to hike in May!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The lower elevations can be OK in late May. It all depends on the recent weather.

The GMC doesn't like you to hike before Memorial Day, mainly because the ground is very fragile at the higher elevations and it's usually still waterlogged. I'd honor their wishes.

I'm planning on hiking the AT in Vermont in mid June. Thanks for the information on the Long Trail in May. What kind of condition should we expect? Similar to what has been reported so far on this thread as it relates to the L.T. in May, or something different?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    I'm planning on hiking the AT in Vermont in mid June. Thanks for the information on the Long Trail in May. What kind of condition should we expect? Similar to what has been reported so far on this thread as it relates to the L.T. in May, or something different?
    Lots of bugs!!

formerly amazonwoman

How about the Long Path in NY? How is that in May? About the same?
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Images

Default long trail in may

bugs dont come out untell june I know Ky

The bugs don't come out until a week or so after the rainy season ends and it warms up a bit. That can happen anywhere from mid May to middle of June. It all depends on the type of spring we have, but more often than not, May and early June is the peak of the rainy season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++