WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Rite of the summer solstice?

During my last few days of being snowed in, I’ve read in more than one place that on the summer solstice that many ATers packback in the buff, it this a myth or reality?

Images

Default Not a myth

It's not a myth. I can vouch for 3 participants in 06.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Nekkid Hiker Day!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

At 46 years old (although in good shape) I would be way too modest to hike in the buff. My wife on the other hand who love loves to run around in the woods all natural (Sp?) would probably jump right in.

Images

I'd say more than half the AT hiking books I've read describe some form of nudity in the woods, mostly skinny dipping and the like.

Just watch out for all the prudes who want you to hike their hike. From what I can tell, they'll get the Barney Fifes on you, miles from anywhere.

There are way more important things in the world to fret over.

Besides, pretty soon, it seems that's how we'll all have to board airplanes.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 01-11-2011 at 19:40. Reason: who wants to know?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Not fretting over anything, just don’t want to be under fashion (or WAY under fashion) on June 21st.

This is a thru-hiker tradition on more trails than just the AT. But in fact, there are often a lot of reasons to wear clothes that day. On the PCT is was mosquitoes if I recall correctly (or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

On the AT, I just decided that it was a gift I was giving to other folks on the trail for me to stay covered up ... :-) Good thing too, as partway into the day I ran into two women walking with their children. I would have been really embarrassed to make them feel uncomfortable (and disgusted).

The one rule of thumb that I've heard about naked hiking day is "No one that you would want to see naked will be hiking naked". From my limited experience, this is true.

Now, the clothing optional hot springs right next to the PCT in California, that can be a different story ...
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashevillian View Post
    Not fretting over anything ...
    Not you, the prudes and Barney Fife types.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 01-12-2011 at 13:56. Reason: left out a word
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

So everyone who doesn't want to see some old fat guy naked, is a Barney Fife?

I'm pretty sure it's all done in celebration of my summer solstice birthday. You hereby have permisson. Go forth and frolic or whatever.

dude...this sounds awesome. but alas, I'll be hiking with my brother. Aaaaawkward. Maybe I'll do another hike with friends instead someday xD

I've heard the proper 'trail etiquette' is to have a bandana (or similar item) handy so if you see approaching hikers, you can simply hang it from your pack's hip belt as a sort of loincloth.

Freedom is a two way street-- you might want to hike naked, but other people probably don't want to see you. There's gotta be compromise.

Personally, I like the idea... might give it a try
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

One more thing... do you think wearing shoes would be more awkward or less awkward?
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rain man View Post
    ...besides, pretty soon, it seems that's how we'll all have to board airplanes.

Rainman

lmao!!!!!!!!!!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I saw two different people in PA. One was a thru hiker carrying a full pack and the other was a young kid holding a guitar in front of him.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    ...The one rule of thumb that I've heard about naked hiking day is "No one that you would want to see naked will be hiking naked". From my limited experience, this is true....
    My experience, as well. One naked person I saw on the AT put me off my feed for a while. Yes, there are a few every year, on all the trails. Not necessarily just on the solstice, either.

One thing to keep in mind--in many parts of this country public nudity is a legal offense and could possibly lead to registration as a sex offender. So don't be stupid about it in populated areas (pretty much the entire AT). That mom hiking with kids may be related to the local sheriff.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    I've heard the proper 'trail etiquette' is to have a bandana (or similar item) handy so if you see approaching hikers, you can simply hang it from your pack's hip belt as a sort of loincloth.

Freedom is a two way street-- you might want to hike naked, but other people probably don't want to see you. There's gotta be compromise.

Personally, I like the idea... might give it a try
    no compromise. keep your clothes on.

Images

I'll provide my annual (or thereabouts) warning here...

"National Nude Hiker Day" sounds kind of quirky and fun, as the posts above show. But keep the legalities in mind, too:

Public nudity is illegal in all of the states along the AT, and in some of them is taken seriously, and not just at the Cog Railway. While citations are misdemeanors and usually involve only a fine, they ARE a "sex conviction" in some places that can result in a requirement as a "registered sex offender" with devastating effect on a person's life. Even when that is not the case, they are a public record of a sex-related offense, and increasingly employers, colleges, licensing agencies and the military find those records and make them disqualifiers for applicants. Disagree with me all you wish, and rage about the foolishness of it, if you think that way, too. But getting busted for exposing yourself, even 'accidentally' to someone, resulting in a charge from a hostile LEO who doesn't enjoy hiker trash doing things like that in their area, has some major risks.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Skinny Dipping is every hikers right, and there's no best day to do it. I will say my Birthday falls on the Summer Solstice and I usually try to be in the highcountry on that day...

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    One more thing... do you think wearing shoes would be more awkward or less awkward?
    Keep the shoes...just sayin'....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++