WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Timex Indiglo

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I have a Timex Indiglo.

It tells the time, has the date. Does nothing else...and it is still running 5+ yrs after I bought it.
    I've used one for years also. Never had any problems, except having to get a new wristband. Never saw the need for an alarm while hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Don't know what you heard bad about Suunto.
    Mines still going strong and it's done 5 thru-hikes already, plus a wore it in hot and humid Thailand for 2 years.
    This year the black outer band fell off but it's still waterproof and everything still works on it.
    I don't think there's many watches out there that would've taken the beating that this watch has taken.
    My wife bought me a new watch this year (smaller) and I left the old Suunto back in PA for next time i do another thru-hike.
    I was wondering where he heard bad things about Suunto as well. My Suunto X-Lander is bombproof, I love it!

Have used Suunto vector since 2005...I just got a new one for Christmas..Great for helping you locate where you are using the altimeter function..It only takes a second to zero it in at known elevations..

I wear a Timex rip-off piece of junk cuz I know that sooner or later, it's gonna go underwater, get frozen, get smashed on a rock, etc. and when this happens, I'm only out about 16 bucks.

Oh, and watches are also among the most frequently lost items on the Trail, too.

Were I to pick something better: I'd want it to glow in the dark and it might be nice if it had an alarm in case I wanted to get up really early or something. But I don't need to know what time it is in Khartoum, my maps and guidebooks tell me my elevation; I don't need a stopwatch.

Pretty much, all I need from a watch while hiking is knowing what time it is at the moment, or how long my dinner's been boiling. For this, I don't need to spend a lot of money on something fancy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    never wore a watch in my life. till i won this at traildays in the backpacker magazine giveaway.it weirdest function? telling the temprature under water.
    Thats one of those Timex watches that records your altitude profile, isn't it? I wanted that watch but its a little too expensive for me

Can't wear a wristwatch while hiking. The band gets to sweaty and interferes w/my hiking pole straps. Have an old Timex Indiglo watch body w/attached carabineer hanging from my pack's sternum strap.

I camped with the Timex Indiglow before too. It was nice because the light from the watch is bright enough to help your find something in your tent at night, if necessary.

I wear whatever Campmor has on sale, currently that's a Timex Marathon, no need to spend more than 10-15 bucks.

For those asking about where I got my Suunto info, REI customer reviews, backpacker.com, and Amazon.

Images

Another vote for the Timex Ironman. Love the nylon strap with Velcro fastener. Each watch generally lasts me about five years.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm pretty hard on my watches & I've had good luck with Casio G-Shocks or Baby-Gs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++