WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Can we get an NPT sub-forum please??????? or just a forum for that Adirondacks in general? That would be GREAAAAAT.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Good call 88Blue GT.

Without totally rehashing all the excellent beta and advice already given I would like to emphasize just a few points mentioned by others.

1) It's a muddy, rooty, and rocky hike in some sections of the NPT. I would advise against thru-hiking the NPT around the spring thaw or after extensive heavy rain. I managed to keep my feet mostly dry though(used Solomon trail runners which were WP in only the front part of the shoe, my feet got sore though from all the rock hopping in muddy areas). Fall is great time to hike the NPT! - color, less people, plenty of available lean-to space, cooler temps, no bugs, typically drier trail.

2) Although a between ridgelines trail and a forested hike the NPT has many ponds, lakes, and streams that are quite scenic and offer some great campsites(few are listed on maps though). Folks leave often beat up canoes, small boats, etc on many of the waterways on the NPT unlocked. Respect this possible use if you take advantage of it! Fishing, as I did, for mostly Brook trout and Fallfish, was possible everyday.

3) No permits or bear canisters are needed on the NPT or if day hiking in the Adirondak High Peaks Region( High Peaks is off to the east slightly and only a bear canister is required if overnighting in this area, ie; it's possible to get outside the mandatory bear canister carrying area to camp even when hiking through the High peaks area).

4) The length of the NPT makes it possible to hike this trail in about 6-12 days which fits into many folk's timeframe.

5)The maintainers of the NPT can use our support as there are MANY muddy areas of the trail that need to be addressed such as with wooden walkways, pontoons, bridges, rock hopping, etc. Again, despite all the talk of muddy areas, I was able to keep my feet mostly dry in two wks of Fall hiking conditions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    This 5 minute YouTube video covers my hike:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-ngBt0PPI
    Nice Job Cooker - I have been away for a while - busy with coaching sports and boy scouts, but trying to get back into the swing of backcountry things!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Nice Job Cooker - I have been away for a while - busy with coaching sports and boy scouts, but trying to get back into the swing of backcountry things!!
    Thanks - I guess you've even been too busy to hike the Susquehannock Trail for the 50th time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Thanks - I guess you've even been too busy to hike the Susquehannock Trail for the 50th time.
    When I die, bury me on top of Hemlock mountain on the BFT. If that doesn't work, my second choice is on top of the unnamed mountain Just South of Ole Bull ......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++