WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Northville-Placid Trail

Anyone know where I can find an elevation profile for this trail? I've searched everywhere and have had no luck locating one.

thanks.

Images

This site has some.
    http://www.cnyhiking.com/NPT-UpperBenson.htm
    The part I did was pretty flat.
    A good place to ask questions about the NPT or Adirondacks is:
    http://www.adkforum.com/
    It's probably a bit chilly there now.
    --Walter

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I just learned of this trail's existence a couple of weeks ago, thinking of hiking it this summer.
    There's a guidebook to the trail, I haven't bought it yet so I can't say what info it contains. Also read somewhere that they might release an updated copy of the book soon, there have been some trail re-routes since this edition was published.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Adironda...4458520&sr=8-1
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

I'd love to hike this trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I just learned of this trail's existence a couple of weeks ago, thinking of hiking it this summer.
    There's a guidebook to the trail, I haven't bought it yet so I can't say what info it contains. Also read somewhere that they might release an updated copy of the book soon, there have been some trail re-routes since this edition was published.

I received the guide book today but it doesn't list any elevation in it.

Images

This used to be one of my favorite trails, having done it a few times.

I've attached an NLP planning worksheet that I put together about 12 or so years ago with all the mileage points and elevations at those points. It's great for planning.... I used to be pretty active on ADKforums, ADKhighpeaksforums and VFTT and have shared it with a few members over there, so you might see it floating around if you google it in their forums.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 01-08-2011 at 02:51.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post

I've attached an NLP planning worksheet that I put together about 12 or so years ago with all the mileage points and elevations at those points.
    Am I missing something? I don't see the attachment.
    Roland

Here is an elevation profile.

I already hiked the trail northbound. I am planning a southbound trip this summer. I will get to avoid the 8 mile roadwalk this time due to the newly constructed trail section between stephens pond and wakely dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

here is the supplement to the reroute:

http://adk.org/trails/documents/GNPs...ent2010web.pdf

Default NPT Website

Hello, NPT Enthusiasts. I'm the webmaster for a new website devoted to the Northville Placid Trail - www.nptrail.org. Check it out. It has latest known trail conditions, hike planning help, community resources, a way to report trail conditions after your hike, and more.

The latest NPT Guide is published by the Adirondack Mt. Club and is noted as 4th edition. With the exception of the supplement that was noted due to the reroute of the Cedar River Rd. section into the woods, there are no plans currently to publish an update. There are two more road walks, one from Northville to Upper Benson - 10+ miles; and one from Rt. 8 in Piseco to Haskells Rd. trailhead - 3+ miles that need to be rerouted into the woods before any new editions probably will be published.

Hey, Toolshed, any possibility I could post the NPT elevation profile on the website? If so, please send me an email from the website with an attachment for the file.

If anyone has any questions about hiking the NPT please let me know. Also, we are in the process of forming an NPTrail Chapter of ADK to bring more focus to the NPT as well as to have an entity that can bring more resources to taking care of it as well. Check out the NPT Chapter page.

Happy Hiking - Tom "NPT Fanatic" - webmaster - www.nptrail.org

Images

Hey NPTFanatic,

I plan on thru hiking this trail in 2012 will the Northville to Upper Benson road walk be re-routed then?

Images

Sorry - I had it posted last night but then went in to adjust and ended up with databae errors when I tried to reload it. It isn't a profile, but a planning spreadsheet with elevations at various points.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NPTFanatic View Post
    Hello, NPT Enthusiasts. I'm the webmaster for a new website devoted to the Northville Placid Trail - www.nptrail.org. Check it out. It has latest known trail conditions, hike planning help, community resources, a way to report trail conditions after your hike, and more.

The latest NPT Guide is published by the Adirondack Mt. Club and is noted as 4th edition. With the exception of the supplement that was noted due to the reroute of the Cedar River Rd. section into the woods, there are no plans currently to publish an update. There are two more road walks, one from Northville to Upper Benson - 10+ miles; and one from Rt. 8 in Piseco to Haskells Rd. trailhead - 3+ miles that need to be rerouted into the woods before any new editions probably will be published.

Hey, Toolshed, any possibility I could post the NPT elevation profile on the website? If so, please send me an email from the website with an attachment for the file.

If anyone has any questions about hiking the NPT please let me know. Also, we are in the process of forming an NPTrail Chapter of ADK to bring more focus to the NPT as well as to have an entity that can bring more resources to taking care of it as well. Check out the NPT Chapter page.

Happy Hiking - Tom "NPT Fanatic" - webmaster - www.nptrail.org
    Tom, I was on your site last night - very nice.
    BTW, I was a LT adopter up that way in the 90's. Tim for me to go back there.....
    I will email you the spreadsheet.

Default Northville - Upper Benson Reroute

Chances are it won't be by then. The reroute was approved in the Shaker Mt. Wild Forest UMP, Unit Management Plan, but that is just its first step. The route is roughly located on a map but still needs to be flagged. The major obstacle is getting across West Stony Creek, a wide stream that floods often. A major bridge is required to cross it. I'm working with the NYS DEC, the Dept. of Environmental Conservation, and ADK, the Adirondack Mt. Club, to at least start the flagging process and bridge design. It may be flagged by 2012 so that you might be able to bushwhack it, but the actually tread won't be done until sometime in 2013 or 2014.

The 90th anniversary of the NPT completion in 1924 is in 2014. I'm hoping to have a celebration in Northville, NY, at that time and my goal is to have the reroute completed by then.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    I received the guide book today but it doesn't list any elevation in it.
    I think that's because elevation changes are not particularly tough on the NPT - it's really a valley trail. Climbs a few small mountains, but it's not littered with PUDs, SUDs, and MUDs like the AT. Great trail for fishing!

Default NPT Fishing

Hey, Deadeye, you wrote, "Great trail for fishing!". I want to put a section on the www.nptrail.org website about fishing along the NPT. Do you have experience and knowledge about that? Would you be willing to write an article about that I post on the website and share with others with fishing interest?

Images

Thanks NPT for your website and the info and thanks Phreak for starting this thread. I purchased the NPT trail guide and maps a few months ago and a friend and I started reviewing it recently. We plan on doing the trail northbound starting at the original point in Northville (aka 10 mile road walk) to Lake Placid. We plan on doing it for charity, I'm still researching which organization we will be doing it for. First we want to complete the remaining 53 miles of the NY AT section this year.

Raul

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Thanks NPT for your website and the info and thanks Phreak for starting this thread. I purchased the NPT trail guide and maps a few months ago and a friend and I started reviewing it recently. We plan on doing the trail northbound starting at the original point in Northville (aka 10 mile road walk) to Lake Placid. We plan on doing it for charity, I'm still researching which organization we will be doing it for. First we want to complete the remaining 53 miles of the NY AT section this year.

Raul
    Raul, the original trail in 1922 went from the trail depot in Northville to the trail depot in Lake Placid. The train depot in Northville is now a rental cottage and office building and the trail depot in Lake Placid houses an historical society.

The www.nptrail.org website should greatly help in your hike planning along with the ADK guide and the two National Geographic maps that cover the entire trail. Their is a form on the website by which you can ask us for more hike planning help if you need it.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post

Raul
    Don't know that I could write an article about it... I've only hiked on a few portions, but the trail follows the Cold River and the shores of many lakes and ponds. It' s just a natural for making a slow journey with lots of side trips to backcountry ponds.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++