WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone starting to feel....

...disconnected with you current life?

This is not meant as some astral projection type thing...just getting everything prepared to leave. Training someone to take over my job...packing up my life to put in storage...not buying anything 'cause it will just have to go in a box...

That sort of thing...it's weird and a little sad at the same time...

Anyone feel the same? What are you doing to get prepared?

Talking Excitement overcame the nervousness

Last edited by Flash Hand; 12-29-2004 at 05:22. Reason: irrelevant

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I know how you feel. Although my life is not going in boxes, I am beginning to disconnect with different aspects of my normal life. I have a handyman business, and I have stopped taking new customers, and told my reg customers that I won't be availble after Feb 1. I am taking 2 easy classes so I can finish early and get out on the trail. In the office where I work, I am training a temp to replace me and she is ready to work on her own after a week of training!

I guess I feel like I won't be back to my life as I know it now...... But I'm sure it will be better after I return.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    In the office where I work, I am training a temp to replace me and she is ready to work on her own after a week of training!
    Well I hope the temp that we hired to replace me is that good!! She doesn't start until late January (I am leaving at the end of February). I absolutely LOVE my boss and would hate it if she (the temp) messes things up while I am gone!

Of course he has said "You'll just have to fix it when you get back!"

I am not on any sort of sabbatical either, I am actually quitting. The company I work for (a major utility in the UK) only lets you have sabbatical or unpaid leave after 3 years of service. I have only been there for a year and a half. They are "unofficially" holding my job for me. And of course with them doing this, there is added guilt for leaving! <sigh>

hikerjohnd: What are you doing with all your stuff if not storage? We are putting everything in storage so we won't have any bills while we are gone. Oh and when do you start hiking? We are starting at the beginning of March.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Jackyd99 - I could not imagine crossing the pond to make a trip like this! I admire you more than you will ever know. As for me and my stuff, I'm leaving my wife behind to keep the homefires burning (bear in mind her idea of 'camping' is the Four Seasons). Right now I plan to leave mid March for ten days or so, then I have to return to school for a few weeks, then back on the trail south of Damascus VA (timing to arrive for trail days). Once I hit Maine, my wife will pick me up and take me back to my reentry point (probably Hot Springs) where I'll hike south to Springer (I figure Springer will be an easier pick up spot for her.)

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'm leaving tomorrow!
    Mt Springers just a day awaaaaay!

Oh yeah! Ya gotta love a little Orphan Annie rip-off!
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Jackyd99 - I could not imagine crossing the pond to make a trip like this! I admire you more than you will ever know.
    Awwwe shucks! It's nothing really, I made the move to the UK 5 years ago for love and I think THAT was more traumatic/life changing than this!

I have thought about letting my husband go on his own - but since it was my idea in the first place - I guess I have to go through with it!

WACOCELT: You probably won't get to see this post - but have a great time!!

++ New Posts ++