WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The AT has a lot of drinkers with a hiking problem.
    Last edited by John B; 01-05-2011 at 11:35.

Images

Curious how many said they do it because they like the taste, since it is definitely an acquired taste. First, they have to teach themselves to like it; then they say they do it because they like it. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy! Or, is that pulling oneself up by one's own boot strings? LOL

I don't do drugs. Hikers who drink have taught themselves to like drugs. That's why they drink. Just the facts, Ma'am.

I very definitely agree with the statement about all things in moderation. Folks who enjoy a beer or glass of wine or sip of hard stuff don't bother me.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Default drug?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Hikers who drink have taught themselves to like drugs. That's why they drink. Just the facts, Ma'am.
    Liquid bread ain't no drug, but of course, it can and is used like one. You don't taste a drug, you take if for its effects. You might be able to make that argument with some liquor - straight, not cocktails - but beer and wine offer too much to slap them in the drug category. If I could get the same taste without the alcohol effect, I'd drink them anyway.

I find the above comment a little offensive because if my personal choice is to drink, that seems to label me as a "drug-user" which connotes a perception of illicit drug use. I don't think that's what you meant, but an across the board statement like yours labels me, and puts me in a category with others whom perhaps have taught themselves to use alcohol as a drug. I might have even been in that category at one time and certainly don't want to be anymore.

I hate labels.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I do like to play poker with people who are drinking though....

Images

I plan on cutting back on my drinking on my thru hike. I'm a wine drinker and thats just gunna be too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I do like to play poker with people who are drinking though....
    Haha me too.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Because a burger, a beer and fries after humping a pack for 100+ miles in between supplies is pure nirvana.

To heck with anyone who thinks this puts me in the same category as a heroin user.

(Come to think of it, my late grandfather must have been in that category as he liked his coffee with sambucca after a wonderful meal... )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

When you get older you may partake. Thats your choice.When I was younger I had no intenttion of drinking. Then while in the military you get use to your friends offering a beer and you try it. yes the first one taste's odd. But then you become accustomed to the aroma and flavor. There is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation and if someone say's they dont. Thats a personal choice and to each his own...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    1) Hydration

2) Calories

3) Dulls the pain of tired knees or whatever

4) Puts a smile on your face

5) Sleep like a rock

And at the end of a hike 2 16 ozYeungling refreshes!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Curious how many said they do it because they like the taste, since it is definitely an acquired taste. First, they have to teach themselves to like it; then they say they do it because they like it.
    RainMan

If we're talking about beer, this tells me you've been drinking bad beer! I never did learn to like the taste of the beverage commercially known as beer.

Then, someone gave me good beer, or so he said. I knew it couldn't really be beer, because it actually tasted good; so good I wanted more. I began to learn more about beer, and discovered there are a whole bunch of beer styles that taste good. Never was much of a problem, because good beer can be expensive, and I'm notoriously cheap.

Then, I learned to make good beer, pennies on the dollar. Uh oh........

I found a cold beer to be the coldest, most refreshing thing to drink on after a hot week of hiking. But a pint was usually more than enough.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Curious how many said they do it because they like the taste, since it is definitely an acquired taste. First, they have to teach themselves to like it; then they say they do it because they like it.
    This arguemnt is weak argument becuase you can make this statement about food as well.

What food you enjoy is heavily influenced by what your parents feed you as a child.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Re: taste.

I haven't drank alcohol in years and I'm here to tell you that I can't think of anything on the face of this earth that tastes better than an ice cold beer when you're hot and tired.

There are many times when I'm envious of those who can drink in moderation.

Having said that, I function much, much better without it and society agrees.

Garlic
    Images

There are a few reasons I don't drink alcohol or caffeine on the trail. Most important, I see a long hike as a way to "de-tox" as much as I can. Second, despite common knowledge, alcohol does not hydrate you or help you rest--quite the opposite. Who wakes up from a night of drinking feeling hydrated and rested? Last reason is cost. Plenty of young folk with small budgets blow $20 in every town on microbrews in a bar. And that's OK.

Once in a great while, when a zero day is planned the next day and a draft beer is offered, I'll take it. And I'll have a cup of coffee in the morning. But not on a hiking day--just a rule for me. Caffeine and alcohol make me thirsty, a little fuzzy or dizzy or jittery, and I just don't like that when I'm on a trail. Otherwise, yes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I do because I like the taste of good wine or fine hand-crafted beer, or a good warm brown spirit such as brandy, rum or one of the various whiskeys. Long, long ago, I traded quality for quantity, to the point when my wife can tell if I popped that second beer because I start slurring a little. (Makes me a cheap date!)

So, I'll sip a little lounging by the campfire. You won't see me slobbering drunk, though, not by a long shot.
    It's good that you drink in moderation. Once I drank too much for a few years. Several years ago when I was hiking and camping at Deep Gap on the Black Mountain Crest Trail in NC I wanted to get a good night's sleep when some guys showed up with a fifth of Wild Turkey between 3 of them, which they drank pretty quickly and I couldn't sleep all night for those morons "gobbling" and screaming all night. That was very inconsiderate of them.

Images

liquor is quicker
    GOD, FAMILY,HEALTH.............(in that order)

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    1) Hydration

2) Calories

3) Dulls the pain of tired knees or whatever

4) Puts a smile on your face

5) Sleep like a rock

I second what Marta said and would add that there are some AMAZING breweries/wineries along the trail (esp. in Maine!).

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    I suspect that those that use the trail as a remote place to party without scrutiny is what compelled this thread. It's certainly a huge annoyance to deal with revelry when you're looking for solace, but don't allow the selfish ones paint your image of all who use alcohol while hiking.

Marta posted a great list of reasons that have nothing to do with selfish, irresponsible partying in a place reserved for quiet.
    I agree, SamXp! We certainly don't want to color our opinions of all hikers who choose to drink by focusing on the VERY few who choose to drink to excess.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Like coffee, people drink alcohol for the effect. There are plenty of non-alcoholic substitutes that provide calories, hydration, etc. etc. but none of them alter your mood.

Sometimes I miss it, most of the time I don't and for 90% of the people who imbibe it's no problem at all.
    I drink coffee because it's a warm beverage. I am just as likely to drink hot choc or tea in the morning, and I don't miss coffee when I don't drink it. I like the flavor of good coffee made from fresh ground beans. I like good smooth hot choc. I like fresh hot tea, anything from loose leaf pekoe to a delicate jasmine pearl, steeped in a clay pot. Coffee does nothing for me - I can drink it (and sometimes do) right before bed and sleep fine.

I drink wine because I like it. I rarely have enough to have an effect on my head. I like to make a bottle last a while, cause I'm poor and can't always buy it.

I drink home brewed beer. I like hoppy beer, dark porter, Anchor Steam, or a really nice IPA. I don't drink enough to get tipsy, most of the time. It has been two months since my last beer. It will likely be another month before my next one. I do not drink beer for the sake of drinking, nor for the "good vibrations." I don't drink soda, or Bud, or Coors, or any other non drinkable substance. I'm sure there are people who can find a flavor in those things, they don't taste good to me.

I suppose that makes me not a person... oh well.

Why?...because they can. Alcohol in moderation is a great thing and a cold beer or glass of wine or a cocktail in town was wonderful as was ice cream, hamburgers,pizza, etc. as someone else suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    There are a few reasons I don't drink alcohol or caffeine on the trail. Most important, I see a long hike as a way to "de-tox" as much as I can. Second, despite common knowledge, alcohol does not hydrate you or help you rest--quite the opposite. Who wakes up from a night of drinking feeling hydrated and rested? Last reason is cost. Plenty of young folk with small budgets blow $20 in every town on microbrews in a bar. And that's OK.

Once in a great while, when a zero day is planned the next day and a draft beer is offered, I'll take it. And I'll have a cup of coffee in the morning. But not on a hiking day--just a rule for me. Caffeine and alcohol make me thirsty, a little fuzzy or dizzy or jittery, and I just don't like that when I'm on a trail. Otherwise, yes.
    Agree, beer always badly dehydrated me. It ain't called the cottonmouth for nothing......Are microbrews expensive?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++