WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Question Why do hikers drink?

*Note: I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices*

I'm just interested. Personally, I've never been compelled to use alcohol, but I have many friends (some underaged) who drink regularly. I can understand its use as a way to relax after a stressful day at work, but why would anyone need that while hiking? Aren't we out there for the natural enjoyment?

I spent six months hiking and wouldn't trade a single day for anything. I took 1500+ photos and filled a 100 page journal but still wish that I had more ways to remember my experience. I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

I do because I like the taste of good wine or fine hand-crafted beer, or a good warm brown spirit such as brandy, rum or one of the various whiskeys. Long, long ago, I traded quality for quantity, to the point when my wife can tell if I popped that second beer because I start slurring a little. (Makes me a cheap date!)

So, I'll sip a little lounging by the campfire. You won't see me slobbering drunk, though, not by a long shot.

Hmmm... lot's of reasons, I suppose... I've met a lot of hiker's who wouldn't touch a drop of alchohol, some that would sip a beer, and some that would "party on". I guess there would be as many reasons as there are hikers who drink. Those that are responsible (not getting drunk) probably don't need a reason. Those that drink in excess probably have many reasons, not all "good" reasons. I myself, having been raised in an alchoholic home, swore an oath to not become a drinker... yet drank heavily from the age of 15 to 40. I didn't drink ALL the time, but drank to excess when I did drink. For the last 13 years I have been sober, praise God, and have regained my life. I don't see myself falling back into the lifestyle, but will always have that fear. Anyway, yeah, I do not condone or condemn... but I do feel a little sad for all the folks who can't regulate/moderate their drink. It dulls the pain of the wounds, while potentially creating more wounds...

Default I drink

thur hike .....and u will see why.......

Personal choice.

Images

All things in moderation. I know I like to have a good meal and a cold one or two when I hit town.

Images

1) Hydration

2) Calories

3) Dulls the pain of tired knees or whatever

4) Puts a smile on your face

5) Sleep like a rock
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I think it takes the edge off for those who, find that after a few weeks or so, that WOW, im going to be doing this for another 5 mos! When you get to town esp, you want that "relief", that edge taken off.... for me personally, I owe my trail drinking to Baltimore Jack
    god bless ya Jack!
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Like coffee, people drink alcohol for the effect. There are plenty of non-alcoholic substitutes that provide calories, hydration, etc. etc. but none of them alter your mood.

Sometimes I miss it, most of the time I don't and for 90% of the people who imbibe it's no problem at all.

Images

Default I don't drink alcohol, I drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by nopain View Post
    thur hike .....and u will see why.......
    Why, what's happening on Thursdays?? Did I miss the Happy Hour memo?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Personal choice.
    Nothing more really needs to be said, although...

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    1) Hydration

2) Calories

3) Dulls the pain of tired knees or whatever

4) Puts a smile on your face

5) Sleep like a rock
    ...I really like this list. (need a facebook thumbs up icon)

I think for some folks, alcohol is an all or nothing proposition. They drink to "blur" (verb) or they don't drink. Or perhaps when they drink, they always "blur". I've found that as I get older, its a little easier to know when to say when, and perhaps, a little easier to be able to choose quality over quantity.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Default Judgmental much?

"compelled to use alcohol"

"need that while hiking"

"wanting to blur the memories with alcohol"

"I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices", really?

Alcohol is a drug and like other drugs [weed, nicotine, caffeine] can be abused or it can be enjoyed in moderation.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol is an addiction.

Not true.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol makes that person's hike less fulfilling than yours was.

Again, not true.

I have had many great hikes that involved alcohol.

All I ask is that you hike out your empties.

people drink.hikers are drinkers with a hiking problem.
    matthewski

i like a nice cold dark beer once in a while because it acts as a very mild muscle relaxant, its also a very mild pain killer and finaly a good dark beer is full of antioxidants, vitamins and such therefore is actualy good for you if you don't over do it so after a long day it is much enjoyed with dinner. Aside from those "practical" reasons I just like the taste.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

"Live and let Live"
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    I spent six months hiking and wouldn't trade a single day for anything. I took 1500+ photos and filled a 100 page journal but still wish that I had more ways to remember my experience. I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.
    Torch, not everyone drinks to get drunk. Some people enjoy the taste of alcohol, be it beer, wine, whiskey, etc. and drink in moderation.

I personally like beer alot, and I do not drink until I'm drunk. My hike/memories were not affected in any way by having a few beers when I was in town. It was a fun treat, and something I couldn't have on the trail (much the same as yogurt, fruit, ice cream, etc.)

Additionally, people who habitually drink to that kind of excess no doubt drink like that no matter what the situation is, or what they happen to be doing (school, work, etc.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I do because I like the taste of good wine or fine hand-crafted beer Long, long ago, I traded quality for quantity
    So, I'll sip a little lounging by the campfire. You won't see me slobbering drunk, though, not by a long shot.
    I'll second that! Very well put
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

ah the drinking thread. or drunken thread. whatever. ah the thread. good old threads. there funny. i like threads about stuff. stuff is funny.

anyone messes with me i got a library of drunken hiker photos. each and every one of you freaks.lol. i dont feel i can contain myself. you need not mess with me to see them. let us begin......

disclaimer:none of the hikers pictured are drunk. they are actors portraying drunkeness.no hikers were seriously harmed in the filming of drunken hikers .all drinks pictured are non alcoholic.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Kel, the "Stickman" View Post
    Hmmm... lot's of reasons, I suppose... I've met a lot of hiker's who wouldn't touch a drop of alchohol, some that would sip a beer, and some that would "party on".
    I suspect that those that use the trail as a remote place to party without scrutiny is what compelled this thread. It's certainly a huge annoyance to deal with revelry when you're looking for solace, but don't allow the selfish ones paint your image of all who use alcohol while hiking.

Marta posted a great list of reasons that have nothing to do with selfish, irresponsible partying in a place reserved for quiet.

Images

Because sobriety is over-rated.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++