WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    As a chemist I have a truly impressive almost god-like resume but i don't do dangerous demonstrations in front of people during my presentations and try to get away with the old "don't try this at home kids..." routine. Highly qualified or not he's still a clown and as such his show should be called stupid human tricks or some variation thereof so he doesn't get sued by letterman.

If his claim is he's a trained professional he also has the responsibility to not show people how to kill themselves. Saying it's TV is a cheap out. If he wants to sell it as extreme sports then he should have Warren Miller produce his show...his stuff is way cooler.

Anyway back on topic the knife is way over priced...it doens't matter what name you associate it.
    I didn't see him die in any of his shows. He, in fact, survived. Which means you could technically do everything that he has done and live.

Images

don't be an idiot. some marketing person talked to bear's agent. said hey. we will give you $xx,xxx.xx to let us put "bear grylls" in front of this knife's name. said agent took the idea to bear, and he said "i have to earn a living like everyone else. yes"...

i've seen lots of overpriced equipment. no sense in dumping on bear for this one...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I didn't see him die in any of his shows. He, in fact, survived. Which means you could technically do everything that he has done and live.
    True, and he didn't even have the Bear G. $700 signature knife!

His PR folks must think he's kinda like the male version of Oprah, and that guys are like Oprah lemmings that will buy these because of his name, but it probably will be cheaper in a few months when they find out men are probably much smarter than that, and that they have overpriced this item
    ad astra per aspera

Journal Entries
    Images

When I started this thread I had no idea it was 700 dollars.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

his name must work

it's sold out
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    his name must work

it's sold out
    Wish I could put my name on something and make millions

Images

me too.......

The Gerber knife with Bear's name attached to it is not $700. Amazon has them for $70, although out of stock. I think the knife that Bear uses may be the one with the $700 price tag, thus the confusion.

If you wait a few more months you can probably get a free Gerber Bear knife with every purchase of a Fushigi. Or it might be the other way around.

Images

I count on Bear greatly for wilderness advice, If he likes it or says something is a good idea, I avoid it like the plague OR do just the opposite. I watch his show in the hopes they show the one where he gets hurt REALLY REALLY badly doing something really stupid (Yea, I know bear's show is all about him doing stupid stuff in a "survival situation").

I'm thinking any knife Bear likes would make a Great paper weight, but little else.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

I find it hilarious how many people on here like to bash Bear but none of you have anywhere near the credentials of him, or the money. It's very comical. I guess jealousy is alive and well here

Images

I may not have BG's credentials, but even I know better than to catch a skunk in my coat and then burn the hair off it over an open fire.

If I remember correctly, he was only able to eat one bite of that. It's shocking that meat that reeks of burnt hair and skunk spray might not be palatable!

Plus he gets a skunk-sprayed coat to wear in the bargain!

So I am not "bashing" him because I'm jealous, but because he does stupid ****. I doubt that a literally starving person would be able to keep down a burnt-hair skunkburger.

Images

I can't believe how negative and hateful you guys are. He's just pursuing his dream.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

hahahahahahaha

Images

My "survival" knife is either my Swiss Army knife or my Gerber multi-tool because I always have one or both ON ME.
    Gerber makes good knives, I've used Gerber Gators for deer field dressing for years with no complaints.
    DITTO on doing the opposite of what Grylls says to do.

Images

I would pay that much if Bear Grylls came with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I would pay that much if Bear Grylls came with it!
    That right there was funny S.E.

Images

Its a tad large for me, blade length wise. I used to do the whole gigantic Rambo "survival" knives thing when i was younger and in the military, but now i'll take a smaller fixed non serrated knife anyday. In fact, my Benchmade Nimravus i'm taking with me on my thru-hike in 2012 is a good bit of overkill too, but i always feel naked without a blade on me somewhere.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

I'm really sorry that so many here bash Bear. I really like the guy. And I will tell you why. Even though he does things I would not do--well, read could not do--the best thing is that if you watch him you begin to realize that what it takes to survive is to never ever give up until the job is done. I like his positive attitude. He works from experience and knowledge, for which there is no substitute, but he keeps at it no matter what. My guess is that more poeple have perished because they gave up than have died because they lacked the ability to deal with the emergency at hand.

As for the knife, I think it costs about seventy dollars and looks like a good deal to me. I like that it has a sheath, a way to make fire, and a way to keep it sharp. For $70, I'm buying one when the new model come out. Gerber is a good company from past experience and I am sure that if the first model had problems, they will fix it in the next batch. I do not think that the product problems have anything to to with Bear.

Images

the knife is selling for 59.99 on the cabellas website...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...xLqo8VWJsErbKw

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I find it hilarious how many people on here like to bash Bear but none of you have anywhere near the credentials of him, or the money. It's very comical. I guess jealousy is alive and well here
    you are right I don't have his "credentials" as you pout it but let me add this I know many pHD Chemists that I wouldn't let bake a cake in an Eazy-Bake oven forget actually do a complicated sysnthesis in a lab even though that is what they were "trained" to do...a piece of paper does not equal skill. As my dad once said: intellect is not wisdom.

Yes I know his show is supposed to be for entertainment...but that's not how many people see it. I've seen him pull stuff off that I would expect to see on Jackass not some show "demonstrating" possible survival tactics. i wouldn't have a problem if it was promoted as some extreme outdoor activity show and nothing more.

I don't even care that his stuff is all staged and he is really never out in it hard core ...film and safety crew at hand.

Its what he does...that plain and simple. Throwing yourself off a cliff and into a tree is hollywood crap. It makes for an exciting clip but its a very good way to find yourself with a busted rib or worse impaled on a limb up in the tree...how is that a survival skill...how is that even smart? If you were being chased by a bear or something yeah sure but just to save the trouble of climbing down safely? No. Worse yet in this case to make ratings....
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++