WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trek...

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Of all the silliest things in the world, a Hall of Fame for a hiking trail? Absurd.
    I suppose you could say that about a museum too.

I still can't fathom the objection to the HOF. It's not like it's any skin off your backs. If it in anyway helps bring visitors to the museum it's a good thing, along with acknowledging the pioneers that help create, build, maintain and hiked the trail. Don't you think Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery deserve such recognition?

It could very well inspire someone that has nothing better to do to step up and do something extraordinary for the trail, which wouldn't be much different than an attempted thru-hike, the later considered a selfish endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Don't you think Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery deserve such recognition?
    Nobody outside of a relatively few hikers give a rip about Benton MacKaye or Myron Avery. Give them a prominent place in the museum without elevating them to some nonsensical "HOF" status. Educate, not enshrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Nobody outside of a relatively few hikers give a rip about Benton MacKaye or Myron Avery. Give them a prominent place in the museum without elevating them to some nonsensical "HOF" status. Educate, not enshrine.

I still can't understand your problem with having HOF. Do you think the same about Cooperstown? Should paid athletes be enshrined?

"The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame is a natural fit with the museum that opened last June," said Larry Luxenberg, president of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society. "The trail and the museum represent the collective efforts of volunteers who have made countless contributions in ways that are as varied as the personalities who have been involved. The hall of fame will recognize those people who have unselfishly devoted their time, energy and resources toward making the Appalachian Trail a national treasure."
    Maybe you should let the ATM board know of your criticism. That they're not running the museum up to your standards.

Hall of Fame Committee; Election - An Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee has been selected by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board of Directors to supervise the election process and to submit the finalists to the board. That committee is chaired by Jim Foster, a museum volunteer and 2007 thru-hiker of the Appalachian Trail. Other members of the committee are Noel DeCavalcante, Tom Johnson, Larry Luxenberg, Laurie Potteiger and J.R. Tate.

The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee will deliver the slate of finalists to the museum board by April 30, 2011, for subsequent review and elections. For the first three years, founding classes to the Appalachian Trail Museum will be named. These initial classes will emphasize important historical figures who were critical to the creation and development of the trail. The Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board can elect up to six people in the first year, and up to three each in the second and third years. After the third year, only a single person may be elected each year.
    Maybe you can tell these people that have done far more for the trail than most most of anonymous hikers here, they're wasting their time.

Images

I talked to five people starting long AT hikes on Jan. 1. Trek was one. Stumpknocker was another. Also Nightwalker, Cope, and a guy from WB whose name presently escapes me.

Trek is in the latter half of his 50s and just likes walking, especially in the snow. He doesn't file his hikes with the ATC, so it's unlikely he's aiming for any records. A very cool guy.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

Whatever floats your boat. But who really cares? A few people care about cats like Myron Avery and Earl Schaffer ect. Nobody cares about people like Trek. We are all anonymous jabroni's. Regular people. Turning a trail into a industry of self congratulating like it's the Oscars seems to be antithecal to what it's all about.
    It kinda sounds like masturbatory behavior.
    Don't ask for my money. We all have people we admire and love on the trail, to me it ain't the hikers, but the folks that day in day out scrape a living together helping hikers move along, folks like Rebecca in Monson, Josh in Dahlinoga, Pat and Vicky at the Doyle, Ron in Franklin ect. I don't feel the need to have a plaque for them to tell them I love them and appreciate their efforts, but rather I'd tell them to their face.

Either way it's not my money. But I guess I get aggravated that our whole world is being disintegrated into a E News channel compilation of top ten lists and Industries of Vanity

I suppose you could say that about a museum too.

I still can't fathom the objection to the HOF. It's not like it's any skin off your backs. If it in anyway helps bring visitors to the museum it's a good thing, along with acknowledging the pioneers that help create, build, maintain and hiked the trail. Don't you think Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery deserve such recognition?

It could very well inspire someone that has nothing better to do to step up and do something extraordinary for the trail, which wouldn't be much different than an attempted thru-hike, the later considered a selfish endeavor.

Maybe you can tell these people that have done far more for the trail than most most of anonymous hikers here, they're wasting their time.
    Apparently they do it for something other than glory.

Back to the original topic, which was Trek.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    all it takes is the time, money and no other life.
    Amen to that.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I think we should vote for Whiteblaze.net to be in the hall of fame what other avenue has connected more hikers than this forum. Why does it have to a person?
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    I think we should vote for Whiteblaze.net to be in the hall of fame what other avenue has connected more hikers than this forum. Why does it have to a person?
    Excellent idea!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not really. depends on the person. i had major surgery on my knee over 30 years ago then started hiking the AT a few years after that. i went to springer 14 years in a row and hiker major miles all those years and never had any problems. never used poles either and carried a heavy pack
    Yeah but your an old jarhead beast if I recall correctly so its kind of an unfair comparison Army vs Marine...I'll bet on jarheads every time. No offense ment to Army personell I've tangled with one too many Marines and it didn't end well for me where as Army folks were...lets just say softer and leave it at that...
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Good to hear Cope is out again this year. I met him at Knot Maul last year. Poor guy got stung/bit by something in the middle of the night and the side of his face was all swollen up.

Images

Me and my wife seen him @ hawk mtn shelter on Jan 1rst. It was raining extremely hard and in comes trek.......sets down, rings his socks out, applies body gluide to his feet, signs the register and away he went back in the downpour. said he was going to stop at gooch mtn shelter for the night.
    GOD, FAMILY,HEALTH.............(in that order)

Images

cope stayed the night @ hawk mtn with us......super nice guy, hope his knee holds out
    GOD, FAMILY,HEALTH.............(in that order)

Trek prefers that he not be talked about on line. Since he is in fact a really great guy and does not bother cyber hikers, please allow this thread to end quietly.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

But will he make the Hall of Fame?

Images

My best memory from hiking with Cope: him telling me the first 5 times he ever flew in a plane he never landed. I guess that is just part of being in the Airborne.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Trek prefers that he not be talked about on line. Since he is in fact a really great guy and does not bother cyber hikers, please allow this thread to end quietly.
    oh for heavens sake! puhleese!

Journal Entries
    Images

I never met Trek! But from what most are posting I would like too. Also IMO he's hiking his hike. Let the man alone!!!
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Apparently you don't know, or care, what the AT Museum is about. For one it's not an E business but educational venue a historical brick and mortar building. Most of the people that enter will know little about the trail and unlikely to recognize any names, hence the new exhibit for the founders and shakers.

That you name a newbie service providers only tells me you're fairly new to the trail scene.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Whatever floats your boat. But who really cares? A few people care about cats like Myron Avery and Earl Schaffer ect. Nobody cares about people like Trek. We are all anonymous jabroni's. Regular people. Turning a trail into a industry of self congratulating like it's the Oscars seems to be antithecal to what it's all about.
    It kinda sounds like masturbatory behavior.
    Don't ask for my money. We all have people we admire and love on the trail, to me it ain't the hikers, but the folks that day in day out scrape a living together helping hikers move along, folks like Rebecca in Monson, Josh in Dahlinoga, Pat and Vicky at the Doyle, Ron in Franklin ect. I don't feel the need to have a plaque for them to tell them I love them and appreciate their efforts, but rather I'd tell them to their face.

Either way it's not my money. But I guess I get aggravated that our whole world is being disintegrated into a E News channel compilation of top ten lists and Industries of Vanity

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++