WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I was going to recommend the Campmor bag as a budget down bag. If you're willing to try something different, and can sew, I suggest checking out the thru-hiker.com quilt. Right now they have a kit that uses superlight Momentum 50 fabric. Since you make it yourself, you can add extra down to the baffles where you're coldest. Add a TiGoat bivy and you'll have a flexible lightweight sleeping kit. If you put together this kit, I suggest doing the footbox differently. I like it to have a zipper and drawcord so that you can completely open it up like a blanket for warm nights.

Default Got the REI bag - Want the Montbell

I've got a similar REI bag. Warm and a good value. But tight across the chest. (I'm male - broad shouldered.)

Wish I had one of the Montbell SS ULs.

Get a bag rated for the temp you expect the most. Wear clothes (esp. a hat) for colder nights.

I own a campmor 20 degree bag, and would say it is a good value, but not a true 20 degree bag, more like 30, at least for most people in our scout troop, we have like ten in the troop. I think your money would be better spent on a higher level bag, if you have some to spare, you won't regret it.

Images

I just ordered one of those actually. I'm picking it up on the 15th and I'll let you know what I think. The only thing I'm concerned about is I've read a lot of reviews that say it's very cramped. Other than that I've only heard positive things. I'm very skinny so I don't think I'll have a problem with it but we'll see. Only other thing that concerns me is I'm 6' tall and that's the maximum on the bag. Anyway, enough of me rambling on, I'll get back to you.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

+3 for the Western Mountaineering bags. If you can afford one, you've made an investment that will serve you well on the trail. Some choices per WM site: The Ultralite is a 20 degree bag that weighs 1-12 in the 5' 6" version. The Alpinlite is a 20 degree bag with a larger girth weighing 1-13 in the 5' 6'' version. Bigger girth = more wiggle room. Both are carried in a 7x13 stuff sack.
    One thing to consider, during the rainy season/ areas there is some merit to carrying a synthetic bag. A syn still has insulative ability when wet; down is done. Syn is much easier to dry out. Syn bags though, do weigh more.
    Having said those things, I carry only down bags, mostly WM brand. Their low weight and small volume make them pack-worthy, especially when you're walking 10 hours a day. I just make sure they never get very damp, and absolutely never get to the point of anything resembling saturation.
    Good luck on your hike!

Images

Buy a WM Ultralite and don't look back.

If you have a really good light weight summer bag you can do like I do. I have a 15 MB SS and I am definitely a cold sleeper. With good padding I get cold in the 20's. If the forcast before I go says its going to be much colder I take my 45 Big Agnes Pitchpine with me. It goes right over the other and adds 25 degrees. Between the two bags it does add up to weight 3lbs 6oz but with the two bags I can pretty much handle anything now.

Images

Thank you everyone for your input on sleeping bags. Just to answer some you your questions/
    1. I am 5.4 feet tall, and very skinny, Female
    2. As the lack of job hours I need a relatively cheap bag; 300$ or below
    3. I will be hiking June-December on my Thru-hike, mean cold weather at some times
    I am looking for a bag under 3 pounds, the less weight the better. I also would like a 600+ down fill, the more down the warmer. Also I don’t want a huge bag as I lose heat but also not a tight one where I can’t move. I also am not able to afford a WM bag and probably won’t for a long time unless I find one really cheap.
    The two bags that have caught my eye is the
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555 Don’t really like the price :/
    http://www.rei.com/product/780903 Like the price not the degree rating
    I was also thinking during the winter months could I put a fleece liner inside the bag for extra warmth or would that eliminate the down heating?
    Thanks, C Seeker

The kilo will fit you well being a thin female, most men say its tight in the shoulders. The Helium is a good deal and great bag, I just purchased the Marmot Pinnacle step down from the Helium and was very impressed on the loft of the bag.
    For whats its worth. I couldn't find the Pinnacle anywhere for less than $300. but it kept googling everyday till one popped up at $215.00 Persistence is key. Also thats a decent price from campmor, I have seen them less though. Also seen them quite a bit more too.

Women's Marmot Helium on sale at REI
    Roland

There you go under 2 lbs and under $300 dollars, more bag than you'll need, but you will be warm. Lock n load

Hike smarter, not harder.

I like to think of a Western Mountaineering bag as the poor man's yacht. Great bag. But Marmot makes a very nice bag, good deal above. A good place to hunt for the cheapest price once you pick a model is spadout.com. It compares prices on multiple sites.

And you're going to need a warm, high-R value pad. A really warm pad will probably make up for a less warm bag, but once you lay on the down and compress it, the opposite is not true. That's the theory behind quilts.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

You might also check the GoLite site..........code BS10 (I think) gets you 40% off. Nice quilts for a mainstream company.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

True on the pad, Kooka Bay all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    True on the pad, Kooka Bay all the way
    Bender makes good stuff.

Images

Try and stop by and REI or other outfitter and "test fit" some bags. While all the products mentioned are great items, you will find that you will feel comfortable in one bag and confined in another.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

I ended up buying the REI Sub Kilo...I actully got it for a great price of $115. It was on sale, plus my membership, and a $20 gift card from Christmas. WHOO!!! can't wait to I get it. Thank you all for your help.

Default Marmot

I recommend the Marmot Aspen Adventurer 15 degree bag at Ducks Sporting Goods. This bag is a Ducks exclusive. It is a 600 FP bag. Weight is 2 lbs 8 oz. This bag is almost identical to the Marmot Sawtooth but sells for $139 instead of $209. If you wait for a sale you can usually pick it up for less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++