WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default light weight sleeping bag

I am looking for a new light weight small compactable sleeping bag for my thru-hike. I am planning on hiking from June-December, and will be hitting some winter weather down west in the GSMNP in November/ December. I would like a 15-20 degree bag for the whole hike and planning on adding a liner to the bag during the winter.
    I'm not sure what type of bag I should get as I’m a really small person with very little fat so I get cold really easily when I sleep.
    This is one bag that caught my eye, let me know what you think and I’m also up for other options. http://www.rei.com/product/780903
    Thanks, C Seeker

Images

i've never used that bag, but i brought an REI synthetic bag on my 07 thru and it worked out great...the price seems right too...this may be a good find for ya!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

I strongly recommend shelling out the money for a Western Mountaineering bag. They are expensive, but they are worth it. I used mine from GA to ME last year, and in July in ME in 08. If it is warm, just use it like a blanket. Nothing else is as good for the weight.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

How much are you willing to spend?
    Mountaingear.com has a Marmot 15*, 900 fill bag, under 2 pounds for $419.
    Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Mont Bell (check out the U.L. Super Spiral) are all good bags.
    If you want small and compact you probably want down.
    Get a bag that fits you, but not too tight. Leave room to wear some insulating clothing if needed.
    Check the above companies websites for sizes, styles and specs.

Images

Your avatar suggests you are a female type person, in which case the women's bag should offer more insulation in the footbox and a better overall shape:

http://www.rei.com/product/780921 (but this depends on your height.)

These REI bags are generally a good value -- my daughter has been using hers for years. If you are really cold all the time, then you'll probably be fine down to around freezing or the high 20s in this bag, IME.

A bag like this will work great for a sobo hike into October or even early November, but if you end up hiking in December in the South, I'm not sure that any liner will add enough warmth. But at that point you will know what you need to deal with it -- you can add clothing, a down jacket, etc., or you may be acclimated enough that your body can handle it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

(Oh, and I apologize if my assumption is incorrect.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

go to theclymb.com. Create an account. They have kelty on sale at 55% off right now.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Check the WB used gear forum; somebody posted 2 WM bags for sale a couple of days ago. Can't recall which models.

That is a great price on a Subkilo. It is a very nice bag. If you are under 5'2" you might lke the women's version which is a bit warmer--but short. I love my WM bag but the price of the REI bag is very good.

I have this REI Sahara: http://www.rei.com/product/798900 which I like a lot-warm, packable, durable. I use a liner though, either silk or WM down, depending on temps.

Eureka Casper 15 deg. 2lb. 15 oz. 8.5x 12in when compressed $49 at Cabela's on sale.

Images

Try this:
    Marmot Helium, 2 lbs 2 oz., $319.98. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46555
    Birdog

Underestimation is the mother of all failure

Buzz Saw I have the Casper 15 Long and it weights a full 3 lbs and is nice and toasty and I paid in the $70 range.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the Marmot Helium. Excellent bag.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I just got the Marmot Pinnacle, slightly heavier than the Helium but I must say it is one stuffed bag. I waited and waited searching online and finally found one for $215.00 shipped. It was worth the wait.

Images

Thank you all for your advice I like Big Crankny and Birdog recommended bags. I will be weighing my options here soon and will be buying and testing it out.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Make sure you check the EN rating on whatever bag you buy. Or buy a WM. As a woman, you should probably look at a +10 or 15 degree bag to say warm at 25.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

go check out a site called "The Clymb". Get yourself the Kelty Light year Down, for $89.00, before the sale ends.

I have the male version and love it. Warm and light.

i'm thin...even more so recently and i realize how much a lack of fat makes a huge difference in warmth.

look at the western mountaneering apache, the marmot helium, and the mountain hardwear phantom. all are similar in down fill weight (probably the most important factor in warmth) and materials.

the helium is cut a bit wider up top than the other two which can help and hurt in the situation. since it's slightly larger size spreads the down insulation a bit further (maybe making it thinner) it might be less warm. but the larger size allows me to wear my down clothing inside the bag without crushing the loft.

i think of the three the western bag is superior. i've owned a phantom, too and it was great. if you're thing and cold a warm bag is probably the most important piece of kit you'll own. consider a double-wall tent since it'll be more warm than the single wall tents.

Images

Campmor 20* down. I love this bag. cheap and relativly light too.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kreate View Post
    Campmor 20* down. I love this bag. cheap and relativly light too.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065
    I love my cheap campmor bag, its great!
    -milkman

got soul?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++