WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Indi View Post
    I'll turn 32 on March 15th, and staying at the Hiker Hostel that night, starting the 16th. Hope to see you out there!

I will be there that night as well (as long as plans dont change). Starting the 16th on the approach trail. Birthday cake to start the trail maybe!~

Quote Originally Posted by bobby8088e View Post
    i will be there that night as well (as long as plans dont change). Starting the 16th on the approach trail. Birthday cake to start the trail maybe!~:d
    om nom nom!

Images

What? No one starting tomorrow?
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

52 when I begin in Mid March!

Thumbs up

46 leaving about 1st week of march....camped out last 2 nights, spring may be warmer than it is in western mass. still trying 2 fig mail drops or buy on fly

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

I turn 33 tomorrow and will be starting the approach to Springer on March 28th. Bought my plane ticket to Atlanta last week. I'm sooooo dang excited! I wish It would get here already.

Talking Upset Karl?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Goat View Post
    i sense a tone of agression in which i don't understand. I expect to meet hikers ofall ages Kayak Karl,it's nice to know there are others ot there in the same age bracket.
    I'm a fun loving guy and am not worried about making friends.

Sorry if my friendly post hit a nerve of yours and upset you.
    I think I can safely say that kk's post was in jest.

I'm 46 and will be NOBO around the 20th. I'm glad to see my age bracket covered well. I've been a little worried about getting passed by the kids. Ego seems to be a good way to hurt yourself. I hope I can keep my pace at a crawl for the first couple of weeks. I saw a bit of advice I liked " Give yourself 2 weeks to hurt and 4 weeks to heal." I'm not going to push for miles until the Smokies. I'll be within a few hours drive for my wife until Damascus, so that makes for one heck of a warm up!

Images

I'll be 36 when I start at Springer April 16th.

48 when I get on the trail in March...49 in May :-)
    "Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean"

John Muir

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    no agression was far from what i was implying. ignorance would be a better word. once you hit the trail you will find age is not what brings hikers closer to each other.
    I'm not understanding your hostility toward the OP, or where you got the idea that he thinks age brings people close together.

All he wondered was if many people over thirty would be hiking, as you can see from his post:

was wondering how many over 30 year olds are hiking this upcoming thru season.

I'm 34 and starting March 1st from Springer. Possibly doing approach trail.I'm from Boston,MA
    Anyway, the answer IMO is not so many over thirty and under 50. Those are prime work years for most people. In my limited experience, the majority (though of course not all) of hikers are under 25 or over 55.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I'm not understanding your hostility toward the OP, or where you got the idea that he thinks age brings people close together.

All he wondered was if many people over thirty would be hiking, as you can see from his post:

Anyway, the answer IMO is not so many over thirty and under 50. Those are prime work years for most people. In my limited experience, the majority (though of course not all) of hikers are under 25 or over 55.
    I may be wrong but I think this thread was created to be a spoof of the "NOBO 2011.Under 21!" thread:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67543

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Yes I will be going NOBO this spring but I'am older as you can tell
    but it will be a great time. When you departing?
    I am departing march 1st. see you on the trail

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    no agression was far from what i was implying. ignorance would be a better word. once you hit the trail you will find age is not what brings hikers closer to each other.
    ignorance is more managable than agression. i have never hiked the trail before.Perhaps you have...i do not know.
    I was looking to see if there was going to be a range of various aged hikers out there.In fact,i like that to be the case.

watch out for the post of seeing of there are hikers over 40 and th one under 21.Apparently i do not think alone on this topic.

no harm done.have read your posts before.You seem like a nice guy

Journal Entries

I'm turning 35 this year. I'll be at springer Mtn. on March 2nd. Woot!

Journal Entries
    Images

I am departing march 1st. see you on the trail
    Yeah I will see you on the trail. I am staying at the hostel before leaveing. iam sure I will see A tigger as well. As for kaya Karl! I read his journal he is a good guy and I dont think he knew your intentions of this thread. But to all a good hike!!!!!
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

65 and still planning a mid-February start. (Hopefully catch up to Miss Janet.) I have three and a half months to see how far up the trail I'll be before stopping for a 12 week work contract. (Chef at summer camp in northern Wisconsin.)

starting April 13th should turn 64 somewhere in Connecticut if all goes well. Here's wishing all of you good luck and happy hiking, see you on the trail. That is if you go real slow.

Images

I finished the trail three days before my 35th birthday, but most hikers were in their early to mid twenties or fifties and sixties.

On the trail you have one thing in common with other hikers; The trail. Things like age and careers don't tend to be as much of a factor for who you make friends with. I hiked for a few weeks with a 75 year old guy, and then a month later was hiking with an 18 year old guy. I've also hiked with lawyers, bankers, restaurant workers, renaisance fair workers, airline pilots, career military guys, college professors, teachers, etc.

People come together differently on the trail than in the "real" world.

Images

I'm 62 and will be leaving AFSP in Mid March.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I finished the trail three days before my 35th birthday, but most hikers were in their early to mid twenties or fifties and sixties.

On the trail you have one thing in common with other hikers; The trail. Things like age and careers don't tend to be as much of a factor for who you make friends with. I hiked for a few weeks with a 75 year old guy, and then a month later was hiking with an 18 year old guy. I've also hiked with lawyers, bankers, restaurant workers, renaisance fair workers, airline pilots, career military guys, college professors, teachers, etc.

People come together differently on the trail than in the "real" world.
    Nice post..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++