WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gossamer Gear "The One" or Big Anges Fly Creek UL1?

I can't decide - I'll be hiking the Overland Track in Tasmania to break it in! I'm going in the middle of summer but weather can be pretty nasty.

Also, any other super lights tents in this price range I should consider? I'm in Aussie right now so shipping is a pain.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Det...nt/FlyCreekUL1
    Specs:
    already seam sealed
    free-standing
    approx 32 oz trail weight + footprint - theirs is 4 oz but I'd probably improvise for now.
    $299 + $40 shipping (could possibly get it slightly cheaper).
    http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelters/the-one.html
    NOT seam sealed
    NOT free standing
    can use trekking poles instead of tent poles to shave off 7 oz in the future - flexibility
    comes with footprint/ground sheet
    does not come with poles or stakes so i have to buy those
    w/ all that $339+ $40 shipping
    approx 26 oz sealed trail weight (w/ all lines, stakes etc)
    really like their products

I've already checked out this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=540655

Images

Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear tents?
    http://www.lightheartgear.com
    not free standing, several different options - in cuben fiber it's just 1 lb. double wall, more room than either of the above tents, the awning lets you cook under the fly.

I've been using the Gossamer Gear the One since 2008, have over 200 nights in it, awesome shelter. I seam sealed it, I use 6-6" Ti hook stakes, guy outs and stuff sack, 19.3-ounces. Plenty of room for a 72" sleep pad, all of my gear and shoes. The guy outs are already attached to correct length so no guessing or cutting to do. This shelter is well ventilated and easy to set up, watch the video for the 2009 model on the GG site for demonstration. Gossamer Gear has excellent craftsmanship and customer service.

http://gossamergear.com/wp/support/videos/demo-videos

I "Had" the Big Agnes Flycreek UL1. Notice the word had, sent it back after using it one time. I am a 5'9" 51 year old woman and it we too cramped for me. I have since taken to Hammock hanging, but plan on gotin toward The One when I have to go to ground. A fellow WB member I hike with, Southmark, has had first hand experience in severe conditions with The One in Maine. He has a testimonial on the GG website.

The Gossamer Gear tent is a nice shape. It feels roomy. When you sit up you have a choice of directions and spots inside the tent to sit. Other tents I've been in there might be only one place in the tent where I can sit up straight, and I'm a 5'3" woman. (If there's not enough room for sitting up, you'll get wet if there's any condensation.) I also like that you can open the vestibule flaps half way all the way or shut them tight. This lets you have a full view, a good view or storm protection/extra warmth/privacy.

I used The One on the PCT. You don't have to buy poles if you use trekking poles. I would suggest getting two larger stakes to go with any small titanium stakes. I didn't find the titanium stakes on the front and rear guy lines were able to hold the tent up. They worked fine on the corners, though. In high winds the tent can come down if the stakes aren't secure. There are a lot of high winds on the PCT. Big rocks on top of the stakes every night let me sleep securely.

I set mine up almost every night on the PCT and I'm certain it could do another PCT. I did have to replace the zipper part way, however.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I own the Fly creek 2, the 1 is too tight and the 2 is only 6 ox heavier, you could stuff the whole tent into a water bottle pocket, easy setup, but not completely freestanding, thogh.

I'd say go with the Fly Creek, but I would up it to the 2 person tent. As hikerboy57 said, it's only a wee bit heavier and way roomier. Plus, I think it's worth having it be (mostly) free standing.

Is there a way you can try out both of them? Set them up and see if one is just plain wonky?

Order the Fly Creek from Backcountry.com they have 100% satisfaction return policy.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I already have a 2 person tent (at home in the US). It weighs 4-5lbs so not as light as I'd like but split between 2 people it's not bad.

I really am looking for a 1 person tent, as light as possible - for solo trips.

However, at home I have a border collie. Would he fit in any of these? If not, I may as well just buy a better 2 person because he will be joining me again on almost all trips when I get home...sigh...I can't decide...

also, on the Overland track, you can to pitch your tent on platforms, so a free standing tent may be a better idea. I'll bring extra line to tie out but...

You could look at the Tarptent Moment..
    That stands up with two pegs, so very easy to do on those platforms
    (if you really want there is an external pole option that makes it "freestanding" , but you will still need to peg it down so that it won't fly away..)
    Note that the BA to stand up , inner only, as shown on their web site needs two pegs. To then attach the fly you need another 4 minimum.
    Keep in mind that in Tasmania it can rain all day long so pitching a mesh inner first in not ideal in those conditions.
    I used the Rainbow down there (this will also accommodate your dog) and used the trekking poles on platforms to get the freestanding mode, then hooked the trekking poles to the side.
    Franco
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You could look at the Tarptent Moment..
    That stands up with two pegs, so very easy to do on those platforms
    (if you really want there is an external pole option that makes it "freestanding" , but you will still need to peg it down so that it won't fly away..)
    Note that the BA to stand up , inner only, as shown on their web site needs two pegs. To then attach the fly you need another 4 minimum.
    Keep in mind that in Tasmania it can rain all day long so pitching a mesh inner first in not ideal in those conditions.
    I used the Rainbow down there (this will also accommodate your dog) and used the trekking poles on platforms to get the freestanding mode, then hooked the trekking poles to the side.
    Franco
    [email protected]
    good point....

There is the MLD Solomid. 13 oz in the silnylon and only 9 in the cuben fiber. Grab one of the UL ground sheets to go with it and a couple of ti stakes and you are looking at sub 1 pound shelter (If you go with the CF). The Duomid is only 12 oz in the cf too. It looks simple to set up, just stake the corners and use your trekking poles from underneath to raise it up.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=137
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

In Australia you will be hard pressed to find anyone using a shelter without an inner or bug net.
    By the time you add a bug net to a mid you lose the weight advantage over shelters that have that built in.
    The biggest problem are ants, a groundsheet is not a barrier for them, maybe just extra entertainment...
    Several species bite or spray formic acid.
    Franco

Ahh...gotcha...I failed to notice that the OP needed a inner/bug net.

I did notice that by adding a mesh inner to the Solomid that the weight went up a little over 8 oz. Plus, by looking at the pictures, the mesh inner looks like it would be a little short in my opinion.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

A border collie isn't a very big dog, right? I was able to sleep with my pack at my foot and more stuff at my head. I'm a short woman, though. I could have fit a medium dog next to me, but he would have touched my sleeping bag, probably laid on part of me. Not sure how cozy you like to get with your dog, but if he was all wet I don't think I would have been happy to have a dog in there with me.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

The border collies are a medium sized dog but I feel the Moment would be too tight for that.
    The Rainbow would work if the OP is 6' or under as it is 88" long with the floor up (a few inches longer if you drop it down flat) , and 38" wide (again a bit wider with the floor down)
    As I mentioned above with trekking poles it is very easy to set up on platforms, however a mate of mine guyed his out. Took about the same time as me with the poles.

Franco

As for floor area comparisons, the Rainbow is 23' sq, the GG The One 17.5 , the Ba Fly Creek 1 22" but it does have agressivly sloping walls all around.
    Franco
    [email protected]

Images

The Solo Mid is brilliant. More stable than both the Moment and Rainbow that I have / had in the wind. If you did get the shelter in Cuben and added the inner net tent, you would be at just over a pound and with a double walled shelter as well - much better at managing condensation than any single walled shelter short of it being made out of eVent.

The Fly Creek is much too small because of the aforementioned sloping walls. Personally, if you wanted to keep the cost down, I would look at the TT Sublite because of it's similarities to the MLD SoloMid.

Default I have the BA Fly Creek UL2 for my solo use ...and will probably keep it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashla113 View Post
    I can't decide - I'll be hiking the Overland Track in Tasmania to break it in! I'm going in the middle of summer but weather can be pretty nasty.

Also, any other super lights tents in this price range I should consider? I'm in Aussie right now so shipping is a pain.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Det...nt/FlyCreekUL1
    Specs:
    already seam sealed
    free-standing
    approx 32 oz trail weight + footprint - theirs is 4 oz but I'd probably improvise for now.
    $299 + $40 shipping (could possibly get it slightly cheaper).
    http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelters/the-one.html
    NOT seam sealed
    NOT free standing
    can use trekking poles instead of tent poles to shave off 7 oz in the future - flexibility
    comes with footprint/ground sheet
    does not come with poles or stakes so i have to buy those
    w/ all that $339+ $40 shipping
    approx 26 oz sealed trail weight (w/ all lines, stakes etc)
    really like their products

I've already checked out this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=540655
    as it is a great tent. I found the UL1 too small for everything. However, it does take more time to set up than I like. So, I am looking at the Mirage 1p as my go-to tent for long distance solo hikes where I want ease of setup and take down...

http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-Mi...P-shelter.aspx

Images

I have both the One and the Flycreek UL 1. The flycreek will be tight for one, but doable; be aware that the vestibule is very small, If you need to exit the tent in the rain, the rain will fall into the tent, so you would have to be careful not to get stuff wet. It is light at around 2 pounds 3 ounces with the minimum number of stakes (9 or use rocks, roots, etc).It is partially "freestanding", but does need staked out to get the full square footage.

The One is plenty roomy for one (and maybe a smallish dog); it has a nice vestibule. Being a tarp style tent, you can set it up in the rain without getting the inside wet (big advantage of a single wall tent). The set up does require two poles and does have a learning curve to be able to get a tight pitch, but the material has very little stretch. On a really nice evening, you can have the entire side open. Material is a bit more fragile (although I have not had an issue with durability). After seam sealing, including stakes (6) and lines mine weighs 21 ounces (I do take a couple of extra stakes and do use Y-stakes for extra hold in forest duff). As with any tarp type tent, site selection is crucial (heck, any shelter for that matter).

I also have the Tarptent Contrail (I love tents!); very nice tent (about 30 ounces seam sealed and with minimum stakes (4 but 5 if staking out the front area). Lots of room! Fast set up. Great weather protection and you can vary the set up (check with Franco, he has a some videos on set up). It does take a lot of room for set up and the silnylon will stretch a bit, so will need to retention lines. I have used mine with a 50+ pound border collie-labrador mix. It has also weathered some nasty storms.

Let's see Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo; I use this one most of the time that I take the above mentioned dog. Plenty of room for both of us; After getting the hang of setup, it sets up very fast and offers great weather protection. Large vestibule. Will need to be retentioned. I have used mine in all night rains, 30 mph winds and calm nights. You will get condensation as with any single wall, but it is pretty minimal with the Lunar solo, contrail and One (if set up properly). Lunar Solo slopes a good bit in the back, so head room is compromised in that area, but dogs nor gear will mind that. Oh, weight with stakes and lines is around 27 ounces

Okay, tough decision: Between the One and the Fly creek UL1, I would pick the One. If considering all of the above and not considering the weight so much, I would chose the Contrail or Lunar Solo (tough to decide). I am glad I only have to decide which one I want for a particular trip. The Fly creek does offer more privacy than the One if you are in a public camp area.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++