WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Three hundred zeros

I've read most of the books about the AT and just read this one yesterday. Thats right I started yesterday am and finished in the pm. I don't know the author personally and have never met or talked to him. I highly recommend this book for anyone contemplating a thru hike. His descriptions of the trail, tips, and hiking strategies are all descibed with a sense of humor that I found enjoyable. So not only a great story of perseverance but also very informative about the trail and trail towns. Oh so much better than Bryson.

Just my .02
    Doc Mike

k1ypp will be happy to read this.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Oh great...I have this book on the shelf and it's 3rd in line. Now I may have to bump it up the list.

2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Quote Originally Posted by pistol p View Post
    Oh great...I have this book on the shelf and it's 3rd in line. Now I may have to bump it up the list.

Definitely bump it up. It's a quick read and very entertaining. I loved it.
    Roland

Downloaded it on my Kindle The description of the book on Amazon was really sad to me though. Is the book ultimately uplifting or does it leave you with the loss of the brother?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    I've read most of the books about the AT and just read this one yesterday. Thats right I started yesterday am and finished in the pm. I don't know the author personally and have never met or talked to him. I highly recommend this book ....
    I got three AT books for Christmas. Already finished "Becoming Odyssa" (really good book) and am in the middle of "The Laughalachian Trail" (funny, of course), and "300 Zeros" I saved for when I got home (which was tonight). I look forward to starting it tomorrow and appreciate your review.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Not a sad book at all, uplifting yes. Sounds like he would be a fun person to hike with. A little quirky (thats the engineer part) about his radios but i totally get it. Maybe because I have a BS in electrical engineering. But i think anyone who has made some of there own equipment can relate to the pride he shows in what he has made.

Doc Mike

Agreed ... great read. Most would have given up the dream after a major heart operation. Not him. I wonder if I would be that strong?

Also, I operate radios from the AT sometimes myself.

Al

W2GZN
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I ordered about seven trail books to get me through the long wait until Departure Day for the attempt. There is, after all, for those who think I oughta be out there hiking to get physically ready, good argument for getting mentally ready. Anyway, it IS a good book. I especially appreciated his mentioning the trail magic efforts of one of our own, RockDancer. And so, what else have I read while lolling about, awaiting March? ODYSSA is suffering from her mistakes a lot, but she is also teaching. FOOTPATH, MY ASS is worth the time spent with Bluebird's tweeting. The new guidebooks and maps have arrived. They are for butchering and savoring while on the trail--an excuse for stopping and resting, y'know. Then I read a book put out by a close high school friend, Jim Evins, called A HAPPY MAN. It is a collection of stories about his early life that makes the trail's more challenging moments seem trivial. Anyway, back to the subject at hand, 300 ZEROS is very, very informative about what one can accomplish these days through rehab.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Hey, I got 3 AT books for Christmas also. I just read "The Road to Damascus and Beyond", and have "300 Zeros" and "Odyssa" waiting in the wings.

I thought that "Damascus" was a pretty good read. Not laugh out loud funny like "A Walk in the Woods," but this guy (Old Smoky Lonesome) was a real hiker, AND he finished the trail.

He warns the reader near the beginning that they should not read the book if they are going to attempt a through hike, though. I guess the book has its dark moments, but who would expect otherwise.

He's kind of a purist about the trail (seriously frowns on any blue-blazing, slack-packing, hiking out of sequence, etc), but hey, he is hiking his own hike.

I enjoyed the book, and found it very encouraging over all.

Based on the OP's review of "300 Zeros", I am going to save that one for last.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

This one is on my list to read, so thanks for the advice. So far I've read AWOL, White Blaze Fever, and On the Beaten Path. I'm into "Hiking Through" and "Then the Hail Came" now. Have liked them all.

Images

Thanks for the tip on the book.

I am presently reading Walking Home The Barefoot Sisters. It cracks me up to see what a small world the hiking community is to see the trail names in the book and relating to ones on here.

I am assuming that the Lone Wolf in the book is the one and the same on Whiteblaze.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Default I gotta read that one

I had lots of time this holiday while visiting relatives in Pennsylvania. "Snowmageddon" hit don't ya know. Turns out my California ditch digging skills translate very well to driveway and sidewalk snow shoveling in 0 degree windchill. (I made sure to put on a brave face.. albeit under many layers of fleece!)
    Anyways, I read: A Walk in the Woods- by Bill Bryson, Hiking Through- by Paul Stutzman, and perused The Thru Hikers Handbook (2010 edition)- by Bill "501" McCaw cover to cover. I am still trying to get the hang of the place names back there in the East. Places like Nantahalla surprised me with their correct pronunciation.
    I have already read Walking the Appalachian Trail- by Larry Luxemborg and Long Distance Hiking- by Roland Mueser in November.
    I am a total "Data Geek". Even after having hiked two other Long distance trails I am still eager to research and read all I can about my upcomming trail; the AT. I am not going to make the mistake of taking the challenge ahead, the Appalachian trail, for granted just because i have already hiked other LD trails.
    For what it's worth, A Thru Hikers Heart- by No Way Ray (Ray Eccles) is a great book to read along the thru hiking thread. It is written in regards to his experience on the PCT but translates the experiences of being on any long trail as well. I read Ray's book after i finished the PCT and it was Hilarious, deep, motivating, and made me cry read in the context of my post PCT hike world.
    These books amaze me. The details are different for each persons hike but the themes, the motif's are the same. In the same way that the trail unites us as brothers and sisters, these books bring our minds back to the trail. That simple beautiful life governed by the sun and hunger and sweat, and pain and joy and strength. The english language might be inadequate to contain the totality of experience of a long distance hike... but these authors get as close as is possible.
    I wish i were 1/10 as good a writer as some of these authors. they put into words many of the feelings I had on my hikes.
    Anyhow, Thanks for the suggestion. i am gonna read this book next.
    Is it March 15th yet?
    Amicalola.. here I come!
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Thanks for all the book suggestions. I just finished AWOL; ready Bryson years ago. Ordered Luxenberg's book and will definitely pick up all these others...just waiting for 14 April!

K1 is a friend of ours down here in Sarasota Florida. He is a real great guy and is a member of our Appalachian Trail Club of Florida. He is an inspiration.

I'm glad this book is bringing so much joy to so many. It was the thrill of a lifetime to complete the AT and a thrill to write about it! It is especially wonderful to see so many nice comments. I wasn't certain about the reception the book would get but judging by the comments thus far, I needn't worry. This is a great community to be a part of.

I'm finding that the Kindle reader population is taking over the lead in people reading the book. I have to plead guilty, I finally broke down and ordered a Kindle. To be honest, it does seem pretty neat. Jane and I are planning our next hike, the Camino de Santiago in Spain and it looks like the Kindle will go along. I do plan to take the tiny ham radio with me as well. Another book? Who knows?

The book is now also on Nook, Smashwords, Diesel, Kobo, Sony and Apple products, so I'm expecting it will be all over the place before long.

I'm also re-learning what little German I once knew for the hike. Forty years ago I learned a little and I understand there is a huge German hiking population on the Camino, so I figured it might be fun. Jane is fluent in French and Spanish, so I'll let her handle that.

Thanks again to all you readers! See you out there.

Dennis "K1"

Thumbs up

Downloaded this book a couple weeks ago on my Nook. Not quite through with it yet. Thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.

I finished the book a couple days ago. I really liked it. Had alot of fun reading it. I read it on the kindle.
    "Bravo" NoBo 3/20/11
    Trail Journal @ HikersCircle.com

I read the book early last year. I really enjoy backpacking, although I haven't had the time recently with my job, and I am also an avid ham radio operator (have radio; will travel) so the book grabbed me from the two aspects. It was a very good read, and I am one to not read too many books. Most of what I read are informational - as in I am reading through guides, manuals, technical writings, etc, trying to learn something. Three Hundred Zeroes was similar, but more of a normal book. There is a lot to learn in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by k1ypp View Post
    I'm glad this book is bringing so much joy to so many. It was the thrill of a lifetime to complete the AT and a thrill to write about it! It is especially wonderful to see so many nice comments. I wasn't certain about the reception the book would get but judging by the comments thus far, I needn't worry. This is a great community to be a part of.

I'm finding that the Kindle reader population is taking over the lead in people reading the book. I have to plead guilty, I finally broke down and ordered a Kindle. To be honest, it does seem pretty neat. Jane and I are planning our next hike, the Camino de Santiago in Spain and it looks like the Kindle will go along. I do plan to take the tiny ham radio with me as well. Another book? Who knows?

The book is now also on Nook, Smashwords, Diesel, Kobo, Sony and Apple products, so I'm expecting it will be all over the place before long.

I'm also re-learning what little German I once knew for the hike. Forty years ago I learned a little and I understand there is a huge German hiking population on the Camino, so I figured it might be fun. Jane is fluent in French and Spanish, so I'll let her handle that.

Thanks again to all you readers! See you out there.
    Dennis "K1"
    Hi Dennis,
    Met you briefly at the club meeting in January and hope to join soon. Your story is a great inspiration to me and I've handed it off to my 88yr old father. He taught me everything I know about the out-of-doors and gave me his blessing to hike the AT after reading your book. We only wish we could have done it together years ago. Thanks, Julia
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++