Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Red headlamp

  1. #1
    Registered User Dirty Nails's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-30-2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Age
    55
    Posts
    129

    Default Red headlamp

    Practically all the hikers I ever asked said the red LED was a complete waste of money and a useless feature on a headlamp.

    Then, on my 100 mi. section in Maine this fall. I spent a night at a shelter with 6 others who all had and used the red feature on their headlamps.

    It was the most pleasant, polite night I ever spent at a shelter. All involved were avid, experienced hikers who understood the value of not annoying those around them. We all knew about getting blinded by those bright white lights.

    I say be courteous and USE THAT RED LED!!!

  2. #2
    Registered User Toolshed's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-13-2003
    Location
    Along the AT
    Posts
    3,378
    Images
    52

    Default

    I agree with you. I prefer red to save my nightvision. However, not all folks have a red option so you end up getting blinded anyway. This is only one of the many reasons whyI prefer not to stay at shelters.
    However, when I take scouts out camping, I have some authority with them and have taught them that if they have a headlamp, keep it at it's lowest setting in camp and if you have to do chores, wear it around your neck, so that you can see, especially so that when somone says something, you don't look up at them (huh?") and blind them.

    It takes time. Anyway I enjoy red as well.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

  3. #3

    Default

    With the scouts in my troop, the less comfortable they are being outside at night - the brighter the light they think they need and the more time they have it on each night. Those more comfortable being outside at night - seldom have their lights on and find a small pocket LED or red LED headlamp is sufficient. It's interesting to watch the change as they gain experience.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

  4. #4
    Registered User njordan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-26-2007
    Location
    attica, indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I like the headlamps that have both a red and white light. The red light seems less likely to wake people up when you are in the shelter and need to get up in the middle of the night.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-21-2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Age
    41
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Good call Dirty, I just learned a little lesson.

  6. #6
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,435
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    I will weight in, I am all for the red leds as its easier to transistion to night vision, because they are cheap I just make them rather than buy.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  7. #7
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,435
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View Post
    Practically all the hikers I ever asked said the red LED was a complete waste of money and a useless feature on a headlamp.

    Then, on my 100 mi. section in Maine this fall. I spent a night at a shelter with 6 others who all had and used the red feature on their headlamps.

    It was the most pleasant, polite night I ever spent at a shelter. All involved were avid, experienced hikers who understood the value of not annoying those around them. We all knew about getting blinded by those bright white lights.

    I say be courteous and USE THAT RED LED!!!
    It is easy to critizise what we don't understand.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  8. #8
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,113
    Images
    620

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I just make them rather than buy.
    How? I'd love to know.

    Rain Man

    .
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  9. #9
    Registered User Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-13-2010
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Posts
    103
    Images
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I agree with you. I prefer red to save my nightvision. However, not all folks have a red option so you end up getting blinded anyway. This is only one of the many reasons whyI prefer not to stay at shelters.
    However, when I take scouts out camping, I have some authority with them and have taught them that if they have a headlamp, keep it at it's lowest setting in camp and if you have to do chores, wear it around your neck, so that you can see, especially so that when somone says something, you don't look up at them (huh?") and blind them.

    It takes time. Anyway I enjoy red as well.
    I'm all for RED as well...and putting it around your neck often works better for tasking... I have to wear 'em working at night (OSHA reg.)...and the red light uses less wattage to power it..meaning you'll use less battery....Less is More...

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-31-2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,276
    Images
    17

    Default

    Sure, red light is a good idea if you're going to be around people. I prefer to hike solitary, so I won't sacrifice lumens or battery life for a red light. That red light won't protect my injured ankle from stumbling over rocks while hiking at night, and that is the primary reason I have a headlight. Now a red coin light...I would consider that as a backup light...I currently carry no backup light.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-06-2012
    Location
    United States
    Age
    35
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I used to go to huge paintball events in PA over the summer with tents literally stacked next to each other. The red light was mainly all I used especially when you are trying not to disturb other people while on your way to a portapotty. It provides just enough light when you want to be stealthy

  12. #12
    Registered User Coosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-08-2003
    Location
    Morganton, GA
    Age
    75
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Black Diamond Spot ... A bit heavy, imho, but it isn't too expensive and it works quite well. LITHIUM batteries help.
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Sure, red light is a good idea if you're going to be around people. I prefer to hike solitary, so I won't sacrifice lumens or battery life for a red light. That red light won't protect my injured ankle from stumbling over rocks while hiking at night, and that is the primary reason I have a headlight. Now a red coin light...I would consider that as a backup light...I currently carry no backup light.
    I use a headlamp with both. Red for camp and white for hiking before dawn.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-04-2013
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Black Diamond Spot ... A bit heavy, imho, but it isn't too expensive and it works quite well. LITHIUM batteries help.
    i have the Spot and really like the red light at night in camp even though I camp alone and never at shelters.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-11-2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Age
    68
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Minimal use of a minimal light is a even better answer, for me at least. I wear a little eGear Pico zipper pull light on a chain around my neck. I typically only turn it on for a few seconds here or there and it is always aimed down at whatever it is being used to see. Mostly my preference is just get by in the darkness as much as possible. I really much prefer to have little to no artificial light in camp. But, yeah if you must use a headlamp red is a good way to go.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-02-2013
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View Post
    Practically all the hikers I ever asked said the red LED was a complete waste of money and a useless feature on a headlamp.

    Then, on my 100 mi. section in Maine this fall. I spent a night at a shelter with 6 others who all had and used the red feature on their headlamps.

    It was the most pleasant, polite night I ever spent at a shelter. All involved were avid, experienced hikers who understood the value of not annoying those around them. We all knew about getting blinded by those bright white lights.

    I say be courteous and USE THAT RED LED!!!
    As toolshed said, the red saves your nightvision. I like having nightvision, I feel I can see around me better.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-02-2013
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    With the scouts in my troop, the less comfortable they are being outside at night - the brighter the light they think they need and the more time they have it on each night. Those more comfortable being outside at night - seldom have their lights on and find a small pocket LED or red LED headlamp is sufficient. It's interesting to watch the change as they gain experience.
    I'm also a scout leader. I notice the same thing. I also notice it with different troops. At a camporee about a year ago, there were some campsites that were lit well enough that I think satellites could see their campsite from space, due to about 5 or 6 gas lanterns all at full blast. We had a single lantern on low.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •