WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default No Business Knob shelter = creepy

I stayed at NBK shelter one night in March 8, 2015. I was too tired to let the somewhat creepy feeling bother me except there was mention of a persistent bear in the logbook and no food hang cables and it was after dark when I arrived so finding a suitable tree and limb to use for the food hang was difficult but I eventually found one. Also no privy but I'm used to poopin in the woods since I used to spend lottsa time in wilderness areas where privies are non-existent. No sign of the bear or "spooks, goblins, monsters or any other supernatural phenomenon.

Images

The first shelter north of Hogback Ridge is Bald Mountain. NBK is the next one north from Bald Mountain.

Images

No. That is Bald Mountain shelter. The next one north is NBK.

Journal Entries

I thinks peoples imaginations run wild at night in da woods

Been there twice in daytime, like any other AT ratbox imo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-27-2016 at 18:21.

Journal Entries

I didn't like it either, I saw it and didn't stay, I didn't even stop (Mama didn't raise any fools). I describe it as it looks like a inner city park restroom.

Images

Many hikers aren't aware of the USFS road which is only about 200 yards from the shelter.Where the AT turns left just after heading north a faint trail used to go to the turnaround at the end of the road.I was there last in 2011 but did not check out the road.Once I hiked the road out and down to the AT near the river.It may be locked and gated by now.Local hunters used this and was the reason for some of the trash there.These days some hikers do a good job of trashing shelters.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Passed by the shelter on October 18. As I left, the northbound trail had an short section that blurred my vision. Backed up a bit, could see clearly again, and couldn't see anything before me that would cause this, but moving forward again, my eyes couldn't focus. Not so bad I couldn't see, but certainly noticeable. Only lasted a few minutes hiking time, and I was out of it. At the time, I thought it was likely a faint patch of fog, not really visible but there nevertheless.

I walked through several hours of pouring rain, thunder and lighting before arriving at NBK so I wasn't quibbling over the architecture. It was empty when I arrived but two trail friends showed up later. Spirits were high because we knew we'd be in Erwin the next day.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Many hikers aren't aware of the USFS road which is only about 200 yards from the shelter.Where the AT turns left just after heading north a faint trail used to go to the turnaround at the end of the road.I was there last in 2011 but did not check out the road.Once I hiked the road out and down to the AT near the river.It may be locked and gated by now.Local hunters used this and was the reason for some of the trash there.These days some hikers do a good job of trashing shelters.
    I flagged that route with tape a while back to make it easier to get through the woods - there are faint trails all the way from the AT to the road.

I don't think I've hiked the AT from NBK to Erwin in several years - I always take the dirt road. It's open all the way down but there are a few forks in the road along the way. It's a pretty walk with different views than the AT and it's almost all easy downhill with a lot fewer rocks - takes me around 2 hours from NBK to Uncle Johnnys.

p.s. I also take FR 278 to Devils Creek Gap to reconnect with the AT when I get to Spivey Gap. I've passed the white blazes enough thank you.
    Last edited by 10-K; 10-31-2016 at 07:54.

Interesting. I came through on a beautiful sunny day. I stopped for lunch at the picnic table and thought it was a nice site. I stayed the night before near the road at Spivey Gap. Made it to Curley Maple Shelter after Uncle Johnny's saved me from exhaustion.

Images

That shelter was one of the very few times where the graffiti made me laugh. There was one that simply said 'Some Business'.
    It's all good in the woods.

NBK shelter was my second coldest night on the trail so far. Its also when I learned there is a reason they call it emergency blanket bc however cold I was, it was not what I would call an emergency, had a 15* sleeping bag, snow on the ground. But used my blanket anyhow and woke up to a wet sleeping bag from 100% condensation. My coldest night on the trail was the next night at CM shelter north of NBK.

NBK
    IMG_0631.JPG

Curley Maple
    IMG_0691.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

October 1999 I was section hiking from Hot Springs to Erwin. My light was a mini mag light. It's batteries died when I walked 50 feet from the shelter to pee. It was pitch dark, no moon and no one else at the shelter. I turned off the light and waited a few minutes. It would glow dimly for a second then fad. It took five times to get back to the shelter.
    During the night I heard something dragging an old tarp left behind the shelter. I picked up a shoe a dropped it on the floor and the dragging stopped.

I spent the night of June 26 2017 at NBS by myself. As soon as it turned dark I noticed an odd moving light south of the shelter. It did not appear to be from a firefly and I saw no other hikers in the area. I built a fire in front of the shelter and tried to get some sleep but all night long I could hear LARGE limbs being broken north of the trail. I had my 9MM loaded and by my side but I don't believe I slept at all. I was glad to see the sunrise the next morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Re. "creepy" feelings at shelters, I felt that way at Brink Road in NJ.

My son (Strife) and I were dayhiking in NJ and came to the Brink Rd. Shelter. It was midweek in early December, so as we expected it was deserted. On the approach to the shelter was a large stump, and imbedded into it was a shining hatchet. We stopped cold that far and went no farther. There was no sign of anyone around and no answers to our calls. It was chilling though there was likely no reason for it to be. Presumably a caretaker had just left this piece of equipment, but leaning on the side of caution, I wrenched it from the stump and approached the shelter with "weapon in hand". There was no one anywhere, so I left a scathing message about responsible removal of "tools" in the journal with the hopes that the caretaker might read it, and instructions on what to do if he wanted it returned.

We stayed about 15 mins, and I transferred the hatched to my son's pack. As we left, we encountered a gentleman who was from the State Park Service (?) on his lunch break. He stated he was NOT the caretaker, and I kept mum about the hatchet. (Seriously, like I would hand over something like that to a total stranger in the wilderness!)

Was I wrong to remove it? I don't think so. I was completely creeped out and I was accompanied by a strong, stalwart Marine. Imagine the young female hiker who could arrive there alone to face a hatchet-wielding stranger! The shelter itself was great...a lovely setup, but I can't even think about that day without a "what if" shudder.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Do people who hike with dogs run into some of the apprehensions mentioned in these experiences? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    My son (Strife) and I were dayhiking in NJ and came to the Brink Rd. Shelter. It was midweek in early December, so as we expected it was deserted. On the approach to the shelter was a large stump, and imbedded into it was a shining hatchet. We stopped cold that far and went no farther. There was no sign of anyone around and no answers to our calls. It was chilling though there was likely no reason for it to be. Presumably a caretaker had just left this piece of equipment, but leaning on the side of caution, I wrenched it from the stump and approached the shelter with "weapon in hand". There was no one anywhere, so I left a scathing message about responsible removal of "tools" in the journal with the hopes that the caretaker might read it, and instructions on what to do if he wanted it returned.

We stayed about 15 mins, and I transferred the hatched to my son's pack. As we left, we encountered a gentleman who was from the State Park Service (?) on his lunch break. He stated he was NOT the caretaker, and I kept mum about the hatchet. (Seriously, like I would hand over something like that to a total stranger in the wilderness!)

Was I wrong to remove it? I don't think so. I was completely creeped out and I was accompanied by a strong, stalwart Marine. Imagine the young female hiker who could arrive there alone to face a hatchet-wielding stranger! The shelter itself was great...a lovely setup, but I can't even think about that day without a "what if" shudder.
    Could also be that someone forgot it (not just the caretaker), or perhaps the care taker was thinking that most people wouldn't want to carry and might find useful for tasks that didn't involve anything dangerous or unlawful.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Could also be that someone forgot it (not just the caretaker), or perhaps the care taker was thinking that most people wouldn't want to carry and might find useful for tasks that didn't involve anything dangerous or unlawful.
    Yes, certainly considered this, but at the end of the day I had to go with how it made me "feel".....which was a little terrified.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++