WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

another update, although by now it should be clear that we are having some pretty epic snow levels to deal with

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNVO1JQ9B4.DTL

quote from the photo caption in the article:

"The amount of snow along the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range is the deepest ever recorded this late in the year dating back to the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad starting in 1868"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Glad for our decision. Looking forward to next year though.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Speaking of snow in the Sierras... here is an article from today's LA Times on clearing the roads in Yosemite. Slow going this year.

http://http://www.latimes.com/news/l...,6656961.story

Images

Looks like link didn't post - Just check latimes.com. It's on the front page.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

OMG I guess a continuous NOBO PCT thru-hike hitting KM around the third wk of June is out of the question in this horrific startling yr of snowfall? I guess the PCTers desiring an uninterupted thru-hike will head home or hang out a KM until August to hike the Sierras?

Who would have known? - snow falls and freezing temps can occur even in June in some parts of southern and central? Who knew? - deserts or typically dry and hot regions can get below freezing temps and experience frost and ice? I thought they were always hot and sunny. I thought it never rained in So Cal too.

The eskimos are laughing right now. Snow? What snow? I don't see any snow. That's a dusting.

I'm going to practice my igloo and snowman building skills!

BRRRRRRRRRRR!

It's all tongue-in-cheek!

probably the first June since the ice age you could use one of these on the JMT

http://www.rei.com/product/724066/icebox-igloo-maker

a group started the JMT southbound yesterday - proper boots, self arrest hiking poles, well educated - here's their SPOT tracker link - just about to hit Long Meadow at the Sunrise HSC

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0zKLPn7RExFV8G2X5dmhSX0bTUW4Hfz zY

appears they bailed at the foot of Donohue and are not back at the Tioga Road. We'll see if they go back in. Based on what I have seen from the road plowing coverage, they probably had solid snow for much of Lyell Canyon, plus the melt is on, as it finally got pretty warm. Runoff and waterfalls was peaking yesterday - see the graphs here
    http://ca.water.usgs.gov/webcams/happyisles/

Snow conditions as of Friday:

Central Sierra to about Mammoth 384% of normal for the date, southern Sierra 218% of normal for June 10

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/sno...wcchart.action

I appreciate your updates. My GF and I aren't backpacking the JMT but we're heading to Yosemite for 2 weeks of base-camping and day-hiking with perhaps a 1 or 2 nighter. We're flying to Reno on July 4 and (were) planning to enter the Park from the east.

I noted from the reservations website that they're not taking camping reservations at Tuolumne Meadows CG until July 15 and that per the Park's automated voice system, the Tioga Pass Road is still closed.

.....plus the melt is on... - HF

It was late starting in ernest this yr but the warmth and longer days have definitely kicked in to a higher gear and the melt has accelerated big time. I thought I remember predicting it would soon! Still lots of the white stuff out there but for a JMT SOBO starting at the northern terminus of Happy Isles in mid July, well, I wouldn't have cancelled my thru-hike, but to each their own!

My GF and I aren't backpacking the JMT but we're heading to Yosemite for 2 weeks of base-camping and day-hiking with perhaps a 1 or 2 nighter. We're flying to Reno on July 4 and (were) planning to enter the Park from the east. - Cookerhiker

There you go. For someone with a bit of flexibility in the amount of time they have in the area, take that approach, and then thru-hike the JMT, most hikers would have a summer hiking vacation they would not soon forget!

Cookerhiker, consider a base camp day or two time at the Backpackers CG in Yosemite Valley. They only allow short stays there though! Careful how you use/plan your limited amount of time there. YV is also at a lower elev than TM which translates to less, maybe no, snow for a early-mid July stay! Maybe you could head to YV early on your two wk stay at Yosemite NP to avoid some lingering snow still at TM CG in early July. Depending on conditions when you get there, you might consider short hiking treks around Hetch Hetchy, down Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne River, and the southern rim of YV along the Pahono Trail.

Enjoy the time there!

Thanks for the tips. We're also considering base camping at the other CGs in between TM & YV e.g. White Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    .....plus the melt is on... - HF
    yup, and most likely intensifying as long as it stays warm

http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/wwapps/ww...500&p_cd=00060

Thing is, 6.8 feet is only 1/2 of record flow recorded at Happy Isles, so we may still see some significant increase in runoff.

peak last year was over 8 feet, but that was in October (early snow, fast melt, I guess). All other historic peaks I can find are also in winter, not spring. I always thought spring would be peak time.

the guys who started June 8 at Happy Isles have given up - hiked to the foot of Donohue, turned around. Last check in was at Tuolumne Meadows/Tioga Road yesterday.

Hey right! I wonder if those starting the JMT SOBO from HI on June 8 had snowshoes. I would have brought them, ice axe, and UL crampons or Kathoola Microspikes along this yr for THAT START DATE.

Damn right, be mindful of the creek and stream volumes this yr going forward into July!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hey right! I wonder if those starting the JMT SOBO from HI on June 8 had snowshoes. I would have brought them, ice axe, and UL crampons or Kathoola Microspikes along this yr for THAT START DATE.

Damn right, be mindful of the creek and stream volumes this yr going forward into July!

if you're bringing snow shoes worth taking on such a trip, you really don't need those kathoola things: good snow shoes for the conditions on high mountains have usually very aggressive metal traction devices, so they can also serve on icy conditions, as long as things don't get too steep, when really only proper crampons get you going.

here are the snow shoes I use in the Sierra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EXy6xfVDdQ

ignore the Flex tail - the sawtooh rails and teeth under the thing is what makes them work up there

No idea what gear they used - probably didn't have the right stuff, since Donohue Pass is in no way a difficult pass to cross with snow. In my book, I think it is the easiest of all.

Everyone has to hike their own hike. Each one of us has to find the right balance for our hikes, that includes the right balance of gear for our individual abilities and hiking styles. Personally, going up, over and down some of the steeper snow covered passes on the JMT or hitting those areas under very icy trail conditions I would not count on adequate traction with some types of snowshoes, especially the two types of snowshoes I've used on my snow filled hikes. And, currently, I'm not going to purchase more than the two pairs of snowshoes I already have. I would switch off to crampons for certain trail conditions based on MY HIKING ABILITIES AND HIKING STYLE AND WHAT GEAR I ALREADY HAVE.

I agree with you. Donahue is not typically known as a difficult pass. Maybe, that party felt very uncomfortable at that pt because of the trail conditions they encountered.

it was probably the water they saw, with snow all around, and not knowing the trail, they decided to bail before even getting into some unknown difficult terrain. I tend to forget a lot of folks have never done the JMT, even if they go out at such an early date.

I've done it "early" but right now is probably the worst time - snow still high, and water crazy deep everywhere, about the levels you get in mid May in a normal year. That's usually the time nobody heads out on a JMT: too late for ski or snow shoes, too early for boots only.

and an up to date report of conditions around Selden Pass as of June 12 - those snow shoes get mentioned again:

I just got back from a quick tour from Rock Creek to Selden Pass. There is still a lot of snow. I was not on the JMT except for crossing it near Selden Pass and Marie Lake (skied across the Lake).

From what I could see the snow line was down near the Bear Creek Crossing. To the south I could see that the entire Sally Keys basin was buried. Beyond, I could see snow at the entrance of Evolution Valley.

The snow on the north and east aspects is particularly rotten, travel on foot after 9:00 am and you wallow knee deep on these aspects (south and west aspects are much better). This only applies to elevations above treeline, and it seemed to get worse with elevation.

Normally I wouldn't recommend snowshoes this time of year, but right now they would definitely help (in that location after 9:00.)

From the looks of things, very few PCT'ers had past through as there were just two sets of very old and very deep, postholes.

Of course all this will be different in a couple of weeks, but maybe useful info as a baseline.

I'll post some pictures soon.

JD
    Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
    www.johndilli.com

report from the guys who started on June 8 at Happy Isles and bailed at Donohue:

Here are the current trail conditions:

1) Yosemite Valley to Forsythe Trail Junction: There is no snow here until about the last mile to the trailhead where it becomes intermittent snow which you can walk through but will definitely posthole in the afternoon. It's really wet here but you can find camping spots on ground. We did not use snowshoes on this (day one) and got through about 8 miles of hiking.

2) Forsythe Trail to Cathedral Lakes: During the first mile you can see the trail as you hike along the ridge but once you go into the forest it's all snow and snowshoes were necessary. We found the up and down of walking over snow extremely taxing as you are hiking up/down snow hills whenever you are in forest cover. We did not see the ground at all in this period and relied on the GPS to keep us on course. Long Meadow probably has 6-8 feet of snow still. Once you start your approach to Cathedral Pass it increases to probably 8-10 feet. Hiking any time after 11am, you will definitely be postholing--even in snowshoes which we wore all day. Water was even difficult to find during this period because there was so much snow. At lunch we had to use rope to drop our Nalgenes 8 feet down to an exposed creek and fill up that way. We camped near Cathedral Lake which is almost 100% frozen still. We were able to grab water near the outlet to Tanaya Creek but it was a small hole in the ice. We camped on snow and it was COLD IN THE MORNING!!!

3) Cathedral Lakes to Tuolomne: Snow all the way down to 120. We used snowshoes the entire time until hitting the road. There is probably a foot of snow in the meadow but we stayed on the road since we were behind, our feet were wet and cold, and we were tired of hiking in the snow. The road is clear at this point but there is not a ranger crew permanently stationed up there yet.

4) Tuolomne in Lyell Canyon: You can get away without snowshoes to Rafferty Creek but any part of the trail that is under forest cover still has snow piles ranging from 1-7 feet. We used our snowshoes the entire time after Rafferty because there was more snow than not. You can follow the trail all the way to Lyell Forks if you know what you are looking for, but we relied on the GPS a lot as well. The snow here is melting fast, and we noticed this even in two days, but the snow under the forest is still icy and hard, and not melting. We both thought how wet things were in the canyon, and you will need to be prepared to have really wet boots if you are hiking in this area in the next month. The trail is waterlogged and we had to be a little creative to stay dry. Dry campsites are even hard to find because there is so much water run off. Finding water is NOT a problem at least!

5) Lyell Forks to Donohue (or at 9650 feet up to Donohue where we turned around): At this point you start ascending quickly, can't find the trail, and are hiking in 8-10 feet of snow again. It is really steep and we couldn't even figure out where the trail was as we ascended. By 11am you start postholing and we can't imagine what the conditions would have been like in the afternoon. The snow here isn't melting and we realized at 9650 feet, there was no point in going higher.

Thanks for all the support, and we'll be back in a few years.

Mike and Marc

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++