WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Inca Trail and Machu Picchu

Has anyone been to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu? What are some good books for someone who is interested in going? Thanks so much!!

Garlic
    Images

I went there on a spur-of-the-moment decision back in 1996. I was trying to visit a friend in Ecuador, where there was a minor, mostly peaceful revolution but domestic travel was very difficult. I never did get to see my friend. So Plan B was Peru and Machu Picchu. I was going to hike it alone from Cuzco, which was risky at the time because the Sendero Luminoso group was still pretty actively killing tourists, but it was relatively safe compared to previous years. Lima was under martial law because the Japanese Embassy crisis was going on (you probably don't remember that). Anyway, they were tense times in Peru.

I showed up in the town square in Cuzco with no plans. I started shopping for supplies and was shocked at local prices for backpacking food. A four-day trip was going to cost nearly $20/day to supply. I decided to head to a local market and get cheaper food when I was approached by a guide who was trying to fill up a group leaving the next day. For $60, I'd get a Spanish-speaking guide, all food carried and cooked for four days, and a train ticket back. I booked it on the spot.

It was one of the most fantastic trips of my life, with a really fun group of twenty young South Americans. If you get a chance, do it.

On the flight home, I saw an ad in the airplane magazine for a trip sold by a US travel company. The same trip I got, with one exception--an English-speaking guide--was selling for $1200. So if you have a little extra time and speak a little Spanish, you may be able to get a great bargain if you try the same thing I did.

I found a used Peru Lonely Planet guide at a hostel in Quito. That was fine for the trip.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Has anyone been to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu? What are some good books for someone who is interested in going? Thanks so much!!
    Here's a WB thread on it:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52423

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Has anyone been to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu?
    Yes.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

I did it in '95.
    At the time, no guide was needed and we just went by ourselves.
    I don't remember the guidebook we used though. sorry.

Now, i believe the govt. MAKES you take a guide.
    Either for safety reasons (not the any AT thru-hiker needs that) or to help boost the economy in the area (it is quite touristy)

If you can persuade your guide to do so, get to the gunsight pass (i believe it is called) at dawn, BEautiful views of the ancient city and you can then get down there and have it to yourself before the bus loads show up. (then it gets funny, but crowded)

Have fun.

Another thing that you might want to consider is some of the other inca trails around Cusco. WE did the ancient road and got into some incredible scenery, saw a wild Alpaca giving birth, and traded some food with some poor local farmers who wanted us to stay and drink more potato schnapps with them.
    Except for the views of Machu Picchu from the last pass, this was much more remembered and exciting than the touristy trail with it's touristy hassles.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Now, i believe the govt. MAKES you take a guide.
    Either for safety reasons (not the any AT thru-hiker needs that) or to help boost the economy in the area (it is quite touristy)

If you can persuade your guide to do so, get to the gunsight pass (i believe it is called) at dawn, BEautiful views of the ancient city and you can then get down there and have it to yourself before the bus loads show up. (then it gets funny, but crowded)
    Correct, to get a permit you have to hire a guide under Peruvian law. Our guide explained that it is to protect the trail. There are also regulated camping areas as well now.

The pass is called Intipuncu (Sun Gate). It's cool to see the ruins at dawn but you'll compete with other groups to get there.

Here's a pic I took from the Sun Gate (obviously not at sunrise!)

++ New Posts ++