WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I keep thinking someone should make an article for this.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Yep, get your parents involved in the support-end of your hike, and instead of a SPOT, consider a cell phone for you and them if they don't have one (Trac-fones use EVERYBODY's cell systems, so you tend to have more universal coverage - plus, your folks can send you airtime, so they can "stay involved" that way, too).

DON'T promise to call on any kind of a schedule, because if you don't have coverage at "the appointed time", THEY MIGHT FREAK OUT! But texting a message when you're able can go a long way toward relieving your parents' on-going fears about your well-being.

By all means, let them know about WhiteBlaze, and tell them to log on and read some of the posts - this site has a wealth of information and some very knowledgable people, and your folks can get some of their questions answered/fears put to rest just by reading.

And be happy that your parents care enough about you to worry, and are still around to do it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by FargoBill View Post
    I'm 22, and my parents won't be financially supporting my thru-attempt, but when I recently told them, my mother especially said that her friend hiked the AT in the 70's, and that I "definitely shouldn't be going alone" because people "disappear off the trail."

I realize I'm old enough to be making my own decisions, but I don't want to outwardly disobey them, or have them worrying I'll be slashed to bits every night. How do I let them know that the AT is safer than the major city in which I live now?

Thanks!
    It's hard to convince your parents, the people who raised you your whole life, that you will be safe being outdoors day after day hiking, sleeping, and journeying thru different towns and states for months on end. As other's said, getting them involved and educating them about what you are going to be doing will certainly help, but there will always be a certain amount of worry involved when it comes to concerned parents. Try to stay in touch with them when possible, and if you are able to hike with other's, let them know you aren't alone. Good Luck

Ask them which trail would they recommend, the AT or the Iranian border. Then go from there.

Don't try to convince them it's safe. Work on convincing them that you are prepared for and capable of dealing with any situation you might reasonably find yourself in while on the trail.

Images

HHHmmmmmm, how many people do they know who have been affected by a lost/murdered or raped thru-hiker or hiker?

Now how many people do they know that have been affected by a non-trail murder, rape, drunk driver, assualt .........

willing to bet they know or are affected by no one from the first question and at least 1 or more from the 2nd.

Heck, if anything they should be telling you to spend your life in the woods - away from all those crazy people running free in our streets!

temet nosce...

Images

Your parents are worry warts! I plan on thru hiking Georgia in May and I'm a chick. I will not only be doing it alone, my dad is gonna drop me off at the trail head. My parents are very supportive of my hiking.

More people were killed in Minneapolis last year than on the trail since it was created. You're not safe at home...go hike!

geek

Images

I guess if I were 22 I wouldn't be especially concerned about convincing my parents of anything... I'd just quietly and politely make my plans and go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I guess if I were 22 I wouldn't be especially concerned about convincing my parents of anything... I'd just quietly and politely make my plans and go.
    Maybe he plans on living in their basement til he is 45?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by catingeorgia View Post
    temet nosce...
    Very Nice
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Default Safe ain't an option

I'm 56 and when I told my mom I was planning to hike as much of the AT as I could stand next year, she freaked out.

Which was very weird considering that I left home at 16 when I was kicked out of school for experimenting with mind altering chemicals during my dumbass phase, then spent a few years hitch-hiking all over the country during my hippy phase, rode a Harley and hung out in biker bars during my biker phase, launched nuclear bombers from the #3 nuclear target in the country during my GI-Joe phase, and flew airplanes that I built myself during my (on-going) pilot phase.

The most dangerous activity in my entire life has turned out to be cube-dwelling as a computer programmer at various Fortune-500 asylums. After 30 years of that, the only thing that keeps me from eating a pistol is a regular tramp in the woods -- and for some reason she finds THAT activity to be the one that's dangerous.

If you ask me, the whole problem with this country is that everybody's started listening to their mothers. Here's the facts -- "safe" ain't one of the options. Nobody's getting out of here alive.

Live your own life, guy. If your mom has a problem with it, just keep it to yourself.

Images

Based on your age you will need to convince:

self
    parents
    girlfriend
    wife
    (2nd wife)
    (3rd wife)
    kids
    employer (somewhere in the mix)
    doctor (by now it's too late)

I shoulda, woulda, coulda, but now I can't because I spent my life convincing all the above.
    The End.
    Simple is good.

I say that if you're 22, just go for it. Especially if you're supporting yourself financially. I'm in the same boat as I'm 22 and almost 100% financially independent. My parents are excited as hell for me though as I'm pretty independent and can take care of myself. If you prove to them that you're able to stand on your own two feet and deal with adult situations yourself in a mature manner, I don't see why they'd have much of a problem with agreeing to what YOU want to do with YOUR life.

Images

I wanted to hike the trail since my parents took me on it for a day hikes when I was 5-7 years old. But my parents normaly think that I will change my mind 100 times before I actully do it. So when I went back to my parents at age 15 and told them I will be hiking at age 17, the day after I graduate they still pushed it off. Then slowly through that year and the next they saw that I really am going to do it and started to worry. I got my mom into backpacking and I took her on a 5 day trek on the trail. That is what got her not to worry about me on my hike. Only thing that she worries about now is when I get into towns and close to towns. My dad still alittle scared but with my mom talking to him alittle and explains everything makes it alittle better.

Most I can say is either get your parents into hiking so they can understand what you want to do and how safe it is. Or gvie them books about people who once hiked the trail so they can the experince. I've done both with my mom and now she wants to hike with me, and will be hiking with me for the first week or two, this upcoming June when I graduate. Communication is the key. Just talk to them, and let them know you will call home every now and then.

Images

Carbo, you forgot:

Mortgage Company
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Really, go for it. They will get over it. It will take you longer to convince them its safe - then to show them by doing it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Carbo, you forgot:

Mortgage Company
    Oh yeah, I forgot, that's a biggie. I'm getting old, lately I even forget to pull up my zipper [ON MY JACKET!].
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by FargoBill View Post
    I'm 22, and my parents won't be financially supporting my thru-attempt, but when I recently told them, my mother especially said that her friend hiked the AT in the 70's, and that I "definitely shouldn't be going alone" because people "disappear off the trail."

I realize I'm old enough to be making my own decisions, but I don't want to outwardly disobey them, or have them worrying I'll be slashed to bits every night. How do I let them know that the AT is safer than the major city in which I live now?

Thanks!
    With due respect to your mother she needs to get over her irrational fears by being made aware of the REAL risks involved thru-hiking the AT! Hiking the AT is MUCH safer than MANY of the riskier activities she probably engages in on a daily basis. I would ask her if she ever plans on riding in or driving an automobile. Thru-hiking the AT is safer than riding in an automobile! She just understands and is familiar with riding in an automobile so she accepts those risks, however unsafe they may deemed, without thinking about it.

Your mother is another example of someone who is not aware of the stats, being disconnected with nature/the outdoors, and has allowed herself to be programmed with the over hyped messages of the mass media fear mongers and others entrenched in fear/worry! You might lovingly, patiently, and knowledgably point these aspects out to her! At that point I would let her decide if she wants to continue living a fear based life rather than a faith and wisdom based life! This is going to sound harsh, unloving, and maybe even cruel, but it is not your responsibilty, as son, father, friend, etc, to be dragged into or dragged down by your mother's unbelief, worry, and fear! DO not allow your mother's fear, disgused as worry, no matter how lovingly she puts it, make you worry and fearful too!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++