WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Orange pack cover needed?

After doing a thread search, did not really find an answer to the need for an orange pack cover for the last part of an SOBO of the AT.

Finally got my new pack and thought of pack covers.

Just want to be safe during hunting season as I finish up in Georgia, with a normal start date of late June, early July.
    " There is no hope for a civilization which starts each day to the sound of an alarm clock ."

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Head over to jacksrbetter.com and check out the Gear Hammock Pack Cover... Comes in a very nice hunter orange color... that's what I use when hiking anywhere during hunting seasons...

Randy

Thanks for the link. Since I now own the Deuter ACT Lite 65 + 10 Pack, will be getting the large.

Will get some use out of it here in Tennessee also.

When you get old, and planning to go solo, you think about certain things.

Like...' if a bear is chasing me, who do I out run?'
    " There is no hope for a civilization which starts each day to the sound of an alarm clock ."

Cabela's has them

Images

Should you "need" it? I was wondering about this myself near the southern end of the PCT this last October. It was deer hunting season and I came across a hunter set up no more than 3 feet off the PCT with his rifle at the ready. Only later did I find that he wasn't supposed to be hunting within 300 feet of the PCT. Last week I found quite a few shot gun shells laying on the PCT. That makes me want to go hunting too.

REI has an orange pack cover too. Not quite hunter orange, but not bad.

Thanks again for the information. Trying not to come across as being too paranoid.
    I have to admit that while out on my solo trips in Wales and across eastern England,
    the thought of being attacked by a Werewolf did cross my mind on some misty, foggy nights.
    ( This was in the 80's, re: the movie 'American Werewolf in London', not the new stuff )
    Having spent the last 15 years in Nebraska, winter hiking-camping with my Scout troop was always a nervous time and
    really limited our choices due the number of hunters out and about.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spatchka View Post
    When you get old, and planning to go solo, you think about certain things.
    OLD? You're younger than I am! LOL

I got some "seconds" blaze orange from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and made a bunch of my own pack covers for when the family and/or friends hike with me. Not expensive and not hard to do.
    Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics

Since you're local here in Nashville, you might enjoy the Nashville Backpackers Meetup.com group. Anyway, just FYI --
    Nashville Backpacker Meetup.com group

And yes, I wear blaze orange during hunting season and recommend you do, too. Most hunters are great folks who are cautious and obey the law. Sadly, not all are that way, though.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

During hunting season, every little bit of visibility helps and the orange pack cover is a fine idea. A couple of weeks ago I was on a day hike and a hunter shot a deer about 100 yards from me. I wasn't startled or put-off by it, but I decided that I would hold off on hiking in that area until modern gun season ended. The hunter did dress the deer on the trail so he gets failing marks for making people have to walk around that.

Granite Gear has an orange one as well.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

If you're going to bring a pack cover (and I do), why not make it blaze orange regardless? Doesn't hurt a thing, certainly can help in hunting season. Keeps the pack dry when it rains, too. Kind of.

Images

Default re: )range Pack Cover - Cabela's Review

I use the Cabela's Blaze Orange Pack Cover.

Review is on my section hike blog here:
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/04...ze-orange.html
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

I have a couple of pack covers already, so rather than buying another one in blaze, I use a net vest. I bought a fishnet vest in blaze a few years ago at a big-box store for just a few bucks. When I don't have a pack on, I just wear the vest - with a pack, I can just 'dress' my pack (with pack cover on or not) by wrapping it around and velcoring it on the strap side of the pack. The blaze shows up great and I don't have a third pack cover laying around.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

i've got a hunter orange ETOWAH pack cover...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Plus 1 on the Etowah. great cover and plenty of HI-VIZ colors. I have the orange one but I believe they also have that green-yellow color that the road crews wear today.

More important than an orange pack cover is a blaze orange hat and some streamers (any florescent color will do) tied to the front of your shoulder straps.
    If a hunter is sitting in the woods somewhere, it's more likely that he's gonna see you from the front before he sees your back.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I make pack covers in any color you want - blaze orange, lime green, lemon yellow. Silnylon pack covers for large backpacks weigh about 2 oz. They are on the accessories page on the website. http://www.lightheartgear.com
    Judy (of LightHeart Gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Spatchka View Post
    Thanks again for the information. Trying not to come across as being too paranoid.
    I have to admit that while out on my solo trips in Wales and across eastern England,
    the thought of being attacked by a Werewolf did cross my mind on some misty, foggy nights.
    ( This was in the 80's, re: the movie 'American Werewolf in London', not the new stuff )
    Having spent the last 15 years in Nebraska, winter hiking-camping with my Scout troop was always a nervous time and
    really limited our choices due the number of hunters out and about.
    Not being paranoid at all. When hunters get 'buck fever' it can be a dangerous thing. They see things that arent there. I agree with making sure you have something that can be seen from the front also. A hat or something.

the orange needs to be on the person. not the pack. packs cant bleed.the only absolute safe choice is vest.hat is concealed when wipeing butt. pack is up at trail when your at spring being shot. if yu want protection, dont settle for second best. hunting accedents are preventable. and allways make verbal contact with hunters as soon as you see them.
    matthewski

the best bear and or hunter protection gear is cheap and can be handed off to folks entering a zone while you are exiting. blaze orange need only be carryied as duct tape if you want. just blaze yourself front and back.plastic blaze orange vests come in very heavy and elaborate or simple and dollar store light.these can be given to others without much cost to your hiking pocket. and they make wonderful reuseable toilet seat covers. not jokeing.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++