WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ground sheet needed?

Hello, I'm trying to go ultralite as possible. But I use rei 1 person quarter dome tent, I need to stay double walled. I have a ground sheet which weights 3 1/2 ounces. I use a full length ridge rest and was wondering why not just put the ridge rest under the tent instead of inside of it? I see 3 1/2 more ounces saved for free? Any reason not to do this? Thanks for you thoughts

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikerinnc View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to go ultralite as possible. But I use rei 1 person quarter dome tent, I need to stay double walled. I have a ground sheet which weights 3 1/2 ounces. I use a full length ridge rest and was wondering why not just put the ridge rest under the tent instead of inside of it? I see 3 1/2 more ounces saved for free? Any reason not to do this? Thanks for you thoughts
    Ground sheets are like pack covers - some like them, some find them unnecessary weight.

I always carry a piece of tyvek that measures 3' x 5' which I could theoretically use for a ground sheet but never have - I usually use it to eat lunch on and put my gear on it in the evening while I'm setting up my tent so I don't lose anything.

Images

You could always get a Polycro ground sheet from Gossamer Gear. It would probably weigh less than the one you have now. If your sleeping pad covers most of your tent footprint i guess it would work but you're going to have a dirty sleeping pad.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Garlic
    Images

Ground cloths are not necessary, but most carry them anyway. I haven't carried a ground cloth for many years. I camp quite often in rocks and in desert and my silnylon tent floor does not show any wear at all. I've talked to the tent manufacturer about it and he said he virtually never gets tents back for floor repair. Site selection is important in wet areas and takes a little more skill.

By the way, this is a perennial topic. Use the search function to find many threads.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Ground cloths are not necessary, but most carry them anyway. I haven't carried a ground cloth for many years. I camp quite often in rocks and in desert and my silnylon tent floor does not show any wear at all. I've talked to the tent manufacturer about it and he said he virtually never gets tents back for floor repair. Site selection is important in wet areas and takes a little more skill.

By the way, this is a perennial topic. Use the search function to find many threads.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

No you do NOT need one.

This is one of those items that manufacturers think they can talk you into something that is totally unnecessary.
    If the floor of your tent is made from something that won't keep nature out, then get a better one if you think you need a floor at all. (many don't)

Don't get sucked into stuff you don't need.

Also, you could easily save a few ounces by cutting that full length ridge rest down a foot or two.
    You idea of putting it under the tent is ok but, why? You don't trust your tent?

Why not put it inside where you can move it around if you like to find that perfect indentation in your bed for your hips, knees, butt, etc. ???
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I hiked a short stretch (couple weeks) with two friends who did exactly what you're talking about, put their closed cell foam pad under their tent. They seemed happy with this approach. Just recognize that in the morning you might find your ccf pad very wet, and of course muddy/dirty on one side, whereas inside the tent it stays dry and clean.

I thus would incline to either no ground cloth or a polycro one, just go to a hardware store and buy one of the winter window shrink-to-fit plastic kits they sell, that's the same stuff as the polycro that GG sells, and you can buy in different sizes at your local store and cut to the size you like. Stuff is quite light and very durable for the weight.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I think the REI qtrdome is made of silnylon (silicone coated nylon),, if so, here's another option for a groundcloth.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Default Gg

+1 on the GG polycro

Quote Originally Posted by hikerinnc View Post
    Interesting idea. I never thought of putting my pad under the tent floor.

In addition to the cons already mentioned, I wonder if you would have difficulty keeping your sleeping bag positioned over the pad. When you put your bag directly on your Ridge Rest, the pad provides a good non-slip surface. So, while the pad may move on the slick nylon floor, your bag remains on the pad. If the pad slides around during the night, you still have insulation under you.

But, put a layer of ripstop between the pad and bag and what happens? Will your bag slip & slide? If you move around like I do, I'm guessing you'll have trouble staying on the pad. Of course, that will lead to cold spots, etc.

Give it try and let us know how it works. BTW, you're right. You don't need a ground cloth. I haven't used one in years.
    Roland

A tiny space blanket will do the trick.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

I had a quarter dome and two silnylon floored TarpTents, and a Eureka tent. I never used Ground cloths or anything under the tent on the rocky and rough PCT. Never once did I get any wear and tear. I had ants eat a hole through the floor of the Eureka once which was kind of lame at 6AM. You definitely don't need any ground cloth. Just toss those little sticks and rocks to the side, and put them back where you slept after you pack up.
    See you on the Trail,
    Guino

To answer your question...YES, you can put your Ridge Rest under the tent floor and it will work fine, and YES, it will also protect the bottom of your tent from abrasives on the ground, saving you 3 ounces or so.

From recollection, the floor space of a Quarter Dome 1 is just slightly larger than a RR, so in theory you wouldn't have any problem not positioning the pad in the correct place, as the tent floor is just slightly bigger.

Considerations - as others have pointed out, your pad will get wet, it will get muddy, but this is a non issue assuming you carry the pad outside of your pack, if it's going inside that's another story.

But to be honest here...you say you are trying to go as light as possible thus you don't want to carry a 3.5 ounce groundsheet, but you are happy to carry a tent that is going to weigh 3.5lbs every morning when you factor in the stakes and that the tent will be damp most mornings.

Something to think about maybe

Default slick tent floors

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html Has anyone tried this treatment method? I just bought a GG "The One" and the floor is slicker than a cat's ass! I need to do something to keep from sliding around during the night. Maybe some lightweight equivalent to those rubber things you stick on a bathtub floor. Allllllllll...that's why they call it a "bathtub floor".
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Just Hitting My Stride!

I bought a Thermwell Products Co., Inc. 84 in. x 110 in. patio shrink window insulation kit from Home Depot. The cost was $8 and gave me two groundsheets weighing 1.75 oz. each. As a side benefit, I used the double sided tape from the kit to make some Cuben Fiber stuff sacks per the instructions given on the Suluk46 wesite.

I carry a groundcloth for 2 reasons. 1. I believe it helps to protect the bottom of my tent (just my opinion). 2. I use it in shelters (when I'm forced to stay) to put my neo air on top of.

Well if you want to save weight get rid of the heavy double wall tent and carry a tarp.

I do need a ground cloth under my Gatewood cape, or else my pad could be easily punctured.

But it's probably optional under a tent with a floor. A lot of ground cloths are surprisingly heavy. like 8-10 oz for a fair size piece of Tyvek.

As others have said, you could just be real careful about where you set up.

Default dear panzer

you allways look stupid laying out your groundsheet under your tent. it screems woosy and says loudly you plan on living forever and wont be haveing any dirt ever touch your precious tent bottom. yet you spend most of your time in my floorless, groundclothless megamid and you love it. lol.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    ). 2. I use it in shelters (when I'm forced to stay) to put my neo air on top of.
    I use my ground-cloth as well with my neo air. I love the comfort but i'm completely afraid of losing it to a "splinter".

++ New Posts ++