WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Governor Clement Shelter

Hands down ~ our worst night on the trail. It started with the rifle shots intermittantly from suppertime onwards to the local ATV riders who drove through the site until 2 am and then the truck that did donuts at 0400 was the final straw.
    The trail shpuld be rerouted or somehow gated off to keep these yahoos out.
    Gimp Ga-Me '03

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Yeah ...and if I recall correctly, it's a pretty good little climb out of North Clarendon too.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I just cant believe you spent the night in that dump.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I'd like to seriously recommend folks don't stay there and circle this shelter with a big red marker in your planning books. It's right on a forest road and is a popular spot for partying, both for local teenagers and older folks. The shelter itself resembles the old smokies shelters, but even on the nicest days this place is a dump and dark and dirty. Garbage is all over the fire circle.

In 03' my friends stayed here while I treked it up to Cooper Lodge and they had not one but two unpleasant situations which resulted in a friend of mine having to confront 2 different groups of people. Needless to say it wasn't a very restful night.

I'd highly recommend pushing up to Cooper Lodge for great sunsets on Killington or pushing over to the newer Churchill Scott shelter. If you don't think you can make it over Killington, there are several good "stealth" sites south of Govt. Clement. In 04' I put up my hammock right along Gould Brook, which is a beautiful quiet place to stay the night.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Sounds like the Redneck Riviera.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    I'd like to seriously recommend folks don't stay there and circle this shelter with a big red marker in your planning books. It's right on a forest road and is a popular spot for partying, both for local teenagers and older folks.
    I believe that both Wingfoot and the ALDHA Companion give you fair warning about this shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    I'd like to seriously recommend folks don't stay there and circle this shelter with a big red marker in your planning books. It's right on a forest road and is a popular spot for partying, both for local teenagers and older folks.
    Now if you're a teenager at heart or an older folk who likes to party, this shelter is one of the best on the AT. I've had absolutely great trail majic there. It is a Red Neck Riviera and the Yahoos are great. If you want to sleep there are over a thousand miles to the south and hundreds to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    I believe that both Wingfoot and the ALDHA Companion give you fair warning about this shelter.

Yes, they do. As well as The Long Trail Guide.
    Thou art a soul in bliss, but I am bound
    Upon a wheel of fire, that mine own tears
    Do scald like molten lead.
    --King Lear

There is a new "secret shelter" just south of Gov. Clement. It sleeps 4-6, is on private property, has a good water source, and is beautifully built with beams taken from the trees they cleared. The privy was still a work in progress this past August, but is most likely done by now. There was even beer and soda in the stream. A sobo told us to look for the map in the ziplock on a tree. I'm not sure how known the place is now but there were several entries in the register. We signed in as Huff n Puff, Bug, and Pirate. It was one of the best nights we had on our LT hike!
    May the four winds blow you safely home

Images

Default governor clement shelter

I was lucky enough not to have any problems when I set up my tent near the shelter. Although I could tell that people partied there on a regular basis. And the burned out car on the forest road outside the shelter wasn't a good omen. If you're going north and can handle a 5 mile hike up Killington, then keep moving since there's a great (but drafty) shelter near the top with tenting platforms. I've heard many rumors about that secret shelter to the south, but I didn't see the ziploc bag with directions when I passed through last summer. My two cents: Governor clement shelter should be bulldozed and replaced by another away from that forest road.

Images

Smile secret shelter

The secret shelter IS awesome. There will probably be directions to it on the trail near the road/bridge crossing a mile or two before Governor Clement. As of this summer (2006) the privy was still not finished, if I recall.
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoBeach42 View Post
    The secret shelter IS awesome. There will probably be directions to it on the trail near the road/bridge crossing a mile or two before Governor Clement. As of this summer (2006) the privy was still not finished, if I recall.
    Is there another "secret shelter"? The only one I know of is in NJ. Gov Clement is in VT.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

We stayed there three years ago and I can truly say it ranks as one of the worst on the trail. When you first approach the shelter it does not look all that bad but a closer look reveals a mess. We would have moved on but a long day of hiking weakened our resolve to move on. The night there was wild with folks driving up all night,shining lights into the shelter etc. ,just not a re****l night. The shelter need to be relocated to avoid all the many forest roads that lead to this site. It would be a good idea to tent prior to or just beyond this shelter while on the trail in this area.

IIRC, Clarendon shelter is just a few miles south of Gov. Clements. GC has been a problem for years and years, from what I hear. It never fails: convenient access by road means trouble.

Images

[quote=Gimp;73677]Hands down ~ our worst night on the trail. It started with the rifle shots intermittantly from suppertime onwards to the local ATV riders who drove through the site until 2 am and then the truck that did donuts at 0400 was the final straw.
    Gimp Ga-Me '03[/quote

so vermont has rednecks huh neo

[QUOTE=neo;319258]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
    Hands down ~ our worst night on the trail. It started with the rifle shots intermittantly from suppertime onwards to the local ATV riders who drove through the site until 2 am and then the truck that did donuts at 0400 was the final straw.
    Gimp Ga-Me '03[/quote

more so in northern vermont. i lived there for 10 winters. fine conservative folks

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    They seem to be drawn to mountains and remote places.

Images

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neo

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    They seem to be drawn to mountains and remote places.
    i would love to take on some rednecks from vermont,sounds like fun to me neo

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neo

i would love to take on some rednecks from vermont,sounds like fun to me neo
    whatcha mean "take on some rednecks"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    whatcha mean "take on some rednecks"

kick their butts dude,i can be a bad a-- in the woods if i have to neo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++