WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Trail name (and nickname since I was about 2): Chopper

Default A week from Hiawassee to the NOC, early March 2011

Hey, folks.

Starting to plan my spring break trip for next year, and I'm thinking about trying to do an easy week from Dick's Creek Gap, just up the road from Hiawassee, Ga., into the Nantahala Outdoor Center (and possibly doing some rafting when we get there). The plan right now is for the second week in March, 2011 (leaving Saturday, March 5, or Sunday, March 6, and getting into the NOC the next Saturday or Sunday).

My only real plan is to camp on top of Standing Indian again, and hope that I get as lucky with the sunset in the spring as we did back in October with Generoll and Two Speed.

I don't walk fast, but I can walk all day with minimal breaks. I have some minor eye issues (mainly, I have a bad habit of not being able to pick out signs, and walking right past them), so it helps for me to walk with somebody else. That's also one of the reasons I'd like to hook up with somebody for the whole week, as opposed to just falling in with the random NOBOs who will be crossing that land at the same time.

If you're interesting, let me know.

Images

I did this very hike last May. We did it in 5 days/4 nights, so 1 week should be more than enough. The only thing about camping on SI is no water. That might not be an issue for you. Its a great stretch of trail. I think I'll pick up where I stopped this April, and go from NOC to Newfound Gap. Have fun. In March there will be lots of people out there. You won't have any trouble finding the trail.

El Sordo
    Images

there's water on Standing Indian that has so far continued throughout the summer, drought not withstanding. Just follow the blue blazed trail about 75yds to the piped spring downhill from the AT.
    Dyslexics Untie!

El Sordo
    Images

oh, hey Chopper. Didn't recognize you. That is right in the middle of shuttle time for me, so I guess I'll have to beg off. You already know where the water is.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Trail name (and nickname since I was about 2): Chopper

Default Downhill?

When Gene says "downhill," he actually means a sheer 75-yard drop that may involve climbing harnesses to get back up. Or I just have old knees, one of the two. But the water is piped, cold, clean and ready. Can't ask for more than that.

++ New Posts ++