WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Looks like we all hear the same:

"ALONE!?!'
    "Where do you sleep/eat/bathe/poop?"
    "Do you bring a gun/phone/GPS?"
    "Why?"
    "Can I come, too?"
    Amazingly, even many of my friends who hunt and fish and fancy themselves "outdoorsmen" ask many of these questions about my short section hikes (I'm not thru-hiking). Especially the questions on guns and GPS's. Some state the dangers of bears and other wildlife and getting lost. FWIW, and not to PO anyone or start a debate, I do carry, but do so almost all of the time anyway - but certainly not because of danger from bears. A gun is definitely not necessary. It further amazes me that so many of these guys are so reliant (over-reliant IMO) on GPS, which while I might consider carrying as a navigation convenience, I would never trust as my only navigation method - that map and compass stuff remains pretty foolproof. Ask many of these guys to go on a hike and I guaranty many would show up with a 60 lb pack with saws, hatchets, 8" knives and all sorts of other interesting gear.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I am a man and I heard the same thing. I wonder how people could be so disconnected. Sure, bad things could happen out on the trail. But I walk through cities and towns unarmed and often alone and it is considered perfectly normal and acceptable.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

... When I backpack anywhere in WA, ID, MT... I always carry bear spray. Thats usually what I tell people if they ask me about a gun when I'm hiking in the north west. It does make a lot of sense to carry bear spray up here. Every year hikers/campers are killed by grizzly attacks.

Most common first question: Are you going alone?

Second most common: What are you going to eat?

I rarely get asked why I'm doing the trail. The people that know me probably figure that my answer won't make sense to them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by writeronthestorm View Post
    ... When I backpack anywhere in WA, ID, MT... I always carry bear spray. Thats usually what I tell people if they ask me about a gun when I'm hiking in the north west. It does make a lot of sense to carry bear spray up here. Every year hikers/campers are killed by grizzly attacks.
    I hear you, writer. If the AT were in grizzly country I'd carry bear spray, too.

Got a gun? Aren't you afraid? FEAR!!! FEAR!!! FEAR!!!

It reeks! It's a stench in my nostrils!

Makes me wonder what the source is of the info all these folks are allowing themselves to be programed with!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Got a gun? Aren't you afraid? FEAR!!! FEAR!!! FEAR!!!

It reeks! It's a stench in my nostrils!

Makes me wonder what the source is of the info all these folks are allowing themselves to be programed with!
    Fear of the unknown. It's human nature.
    Roland

Faith, trust, knowledge, and wisdom are human nature too!

Nonsense. Those are learned behaviors.

Yes, but they must be learned and earned.

As people learn more about hiking and the AT, their fears slowly melt away.
    Roland

So, if I understand you right, fear is natural or human nature but faith, trust, knowledge, and wisdom are learned behaviors? How are knowledge and wisdom behaviors? Faith is a learned behavior? I'm not getting that.

I notice the smallest of children who trust but later learn to FEAR the exact same thing because THAT is what is taught to them by adults.

Images

A lot of the people that think we're nuts just have spacial issues. Most humans do. Man lives outdoors, but man thinks he's above that, so he puts up walls to trap some space for himself. Lives there for a few thousands years. If he's forced out somehow, then he's scared ****less of the space without walls. No definition. Anything can happen.

Maybe I've just been doing it for so long, but I'm always baffled by the "what will you eat" and "where will you sleep" questions. I mean, isn't it kind of obvious? I guess only to me and other hikers.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Actually we should be sleeping up on a tree branch where it is safe from the creepy crawlers. Then we can use our ativistic instinct where we have that sudden jolt to awakness, just when we're dozing off... so we don't fall out of the tree of course!
    Simple is good.

So, if I understand you right, fear is natural or human nature but faith, trust, knowledge, and wisdom are learned behaviors? How are knowledge and wisdom behaviors? Faith is a learned behavior? I'm not getting that.

I notice the smallest of children who trust but later learn to FEAR the exact same thing because THAT is what is taught to them by adults.
    Animals (humans belong to this group) are hard-wired to flee or fight in a strange situation.

Until you learn to have faith in something, you are continually surprised each time you are confronted with it. You have faith that water will come out of the spigot when you turn the tap. Until you learn that, it's a miracle each and every time. Eventually you learn to have faith that it will happen. You even learn to trust it. And if the water is cut off and turning on the tap doesn't bring water, then your trust is betrayed, but you may still have faith that it'll work next time.

I agree that children trust until they are taught to fear. Sometimes. But it doesn't have to be an adult. Another child may hit or bite unexpectedly or a behavior provokes a scolding or swat on the fanny. I don't recall ever seeing an adult telling a child specifically to be afraid of something. Be careful of, be aware of, yes (hot stove anyone?), but be afraid? Nope.

Images

I had read once and have heard many times that the only fear man is born with is the fear of falling. all other fears are learned. How anyone could know this, I don't know.

I am ALWAYS asked these three questions. Aren't you afraid, are you carrying a gun and are you going alone. Not necessarily in any order.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Humans are the only species on earth that is born without ANY instincts. We learn everything, including fear, faith, love, etc.

In my humble opinion, people that cannot leave their house, let alone go into the woods, without a gun, are taught that they need to be onguard all the time because someone or something will get them. Growing up, my family never had a gun. I never had one until I got into law enforcement. Even when I was in law enforcement I did not carry a gun unless I was on duty. Many co-workers carried them off duty cause they thought they were always on duty, even grocery shopping, and could not relax and enjoy their down time. Since I retired from the police dept I have never carried my gun and it still sits hidden deep in my closet, I think.

There is a time and place for them, I guess, but I don't fear anything(if it happens, it happens), so I have no need to carry one. I am more likely to be run over while crossing the street by a drunk driver than have a bad encounter with a bear, gangbanger or boogeyman. I won't tell anyone how to live their lives, but I like to enjoy mine. I like to relax and enjoy life rather than be afraid to die from every little that could hurt us. It doesn't mean I take stupid risks, but I don't dwell on anything negative.
    Hike your own Hike

Sherpas? We don't need no stinkin' sherpas.

Journal Entries

That's funny.Everyon asks me if i am packing any heat and when i say no they tell me i'm crazy for not.

Habitual Hiker
    Journal Entries

Default Believe it or not

I have been asked by several people what the Appalacian Trail was!!! Very sad I know but it has happened more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    when you tell them you're about to start a thru-hike of the AT?

I've got a theory here, but I'd like to hear responses from both men & women. Here's the reason I'm asking. At the grocery store yesterday, I ran into a casual friend who I haven't seen in several months. When she asked what I was up to, I told her that I was about to start a thru-hike, ect. The next question she asked was, "are you going with anyone?".

The first question everyone has - I mean everyone -is some version of "are you going alone"? "You aren't going alone, are you?", "Who are you going with?", and when I tell them that infact I am starting alone and look forward to meeting up with others that are hiking on their own they're pretty much agast.

So, I'm wondering if it's just a sexist thing; that if I were a man, the first question might be something along the lines of "how long will you be gone?", "where are you starting?", you know what I mean.

So guys, what's the first question you hear? Ladies, is it just me, or do you get the same reaction?????

turtle feet
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

I didn't tell anyone I was going. I just sent out emails when I got to the first trail town, and progressed from there.

I'm not trying to be cynical or condescending, but most people don't get LD hiking at all. So for the most part I don't bother discussing my hikes with people who aren't backpackers.

Plus I'm a fairly private person and I don't discuss myself & what I'm doing much at work, etc. Where I live now I only have 'work' friends. And my family thinks I'm crazy so I don't discuss w/them either.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If anyone asks if I'm going alone , I tell them no. There are always hikers out on the AT so you are never alone.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++