WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Help support the defenders of the wilderness

He
    WALK ON

There's no black flies in Maine. . . . it's all a myth. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    If i remember correctly, this past spring when we hiked into the AT north of Monson with vonfrick you inhaled one and gagged for a few minutes.
    Still a myth ?
    WALK ON

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Are you saying "there's no such thing as a black fly?"
    We may need a poll to settle the issue.
    And a longer thread.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

The one pervasive blackfly myth is that they "disappear" anytime before the first hard frost. Their numbers diminish with lack of running water and cold temperatures, but one can (read "I have been") bitten anytime after the snow begins to melt in spring thaw until that first HARD frost. They just appear in lower numbers close to running water during dry summers.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The one pervasive blackfly myth is that they "disappear" anytime before the first hard frost. Their numbers diminish with lack of running water and cold temperatures, but one can (read "I have been") bitten anytime after the snow begins to melt in spring thaw until that first HARD frost. They just appear in lower numbers close to running water during dry summers.
    Flies, and other biting insects, do in fact continue to bite all summer. But that unique critter known as the black fly comes out each spring in Maine around mid-May and usually is gone by early July, regardless of the state of the streams -- well there are periods of exceptions every 35 years or so. But that is the only variation, I've been able to document.

Images

Being from Ohio, I was until this past July unfamiliar with black flies. One morning in Vermont I was drying my gear on a picnic table when a swarm descended on me. I wasn't sure what they were until I started wiping blood off of the back of my neck. Before I realized I was being bit, I had close to a dozen fresh bites that swelled up and continued to itch for over a week. As a going away present another swarm visited me at Katahdin Spring Campground on September 12. I was better prepared this time and only got one bite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Flies, and other biting insects, do in fact continue to bite all summer. But that unique critter known as the black fly comes out each spring in Maine around mid-May and usually is gone by early July, regardless of the state of the streams -- well there are periods of exceptions every 35 years or so. But that is the only variation, I've been able to document.
    Hmmm... Was it possible I was savagely attacked by a different kind of foul, vile, and ruthless biting insect?

The trick in dealing with blackflies is to ignore them. That's right--ignore them. If you smack one and kill it, a dozen more will come to its funeral. You're better off to leave 'em alone. They gotta eat too.

Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
    Roland

Images

black flies are a sign of clean polution free water. be glad for em
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

I wouldn't call it pollution free, but they do like clean water.

Your point is valid.

I wish we had more of them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Hmmm... Was it possible I was savagely attacked by a different kind of foul, vile, and ruthless biting insect?
    No, that was most likely them. They're worse in late spring, but can hang around / hatch in lesser numbers all summer in some areas. There's a bunch of species of them as well. If your bite swelled up like a 1/4 to 3/8 bump, leaked some clear fluid, and itched for a week - I'd be pretty sure it was a black fly bite.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++