WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking pole grips/technique

When I first started using hiking poles, I only saw a little benefit from using them, until somebody showed me the "correct way" to use them.

I had been slipping my hands into the straps and gripping the poles, using the straps merely as lanyards around my wrists. doing this made a HUGE difference in how i regard and use my sticks

I was shown how to put my hands into the straps from the bottom, and use the tensioned strap as the handle, guiding the poles with two fingers, but resting the weight almost entirely on the straps against my palms.

This way, the poles easily flip forward on each step without having to move them with an arm motion, or carry them to the next step position.

I haven't really seen any pole handle/strap designs that are tailored to this technique, rather lots of designs where the handle is Grip Molded, encouraging the user to, well, grip the handle.

I've tried to pass the weight on strap only technique onto other hikers, but the advice rarely sticks.

How do most of you hold your sticks?

S

Going up hill, I grip the handle. Going down, I palm the face.

Images

I love my trekking poles, and usually grip them more where they're needed more. I've developed a bit of a carpal tunnel issue with them, though, which is frustrating. Actually, they worsen a pre-existing ct issue. But it's not a happy thing, b/c I find the poles to be superb tools otherwise.

Shane, I find your thoughts on technique very interesting. I've shyed away from the straps to this point - don't like the feeling of confinement - but will look at using them to minimize my gripping action and, I hope, cut down on the ct problem. Thank you!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I love my trekking poles, and usually grip them more where they're needed more. I've developed a bit of a carpal tunnel issue with them, though, which is frustrating. Actually, they worsen a pre-existing ct issue. But it's not a happy thing, b/c I find the poles to be superb tools otherwise.

Shane, I find your thoughts on technique very interesting. I've shyed away from the straps to this point - don't like the feeling of confinement - but will look at using them to minimize my gripping action and, I hope, cut down on the ct problem. Thank you!
    I'd be willing to bet that these would alleviate your Carpal Tunnel issues. These are MUCH more natural than gripping a conventional pole. I've used them both, will never go back to a straight grip.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that these would alleviate your Carpal Tunnel issues. These are MUCH more natural than gripping a conventional pole. I've used them both, will never go back to a straight grip.

http://www.pacerpole.com/
    Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneP View Post
    I was shown how to put my hands into the straps from the bottom, and use the tensioned strap as the handle, guiding the poles with two fingers, but resting the weight almost entirely on the straps against my palms.

This way, the poles easily flip forward on each step without having to move them with an arm motion, or carry them to the next step position.
    BINGO!!!! While we each get to "hike our own hike," you have described exactly the best way to use hiking poles, IMHO. Sounds straight from the Leki website (as I recall it now, a few years later).

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

This short video is how I learned the correct/best way to use trekking poles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

I put the palm of my hand over the top of the pole handle, with the pole length shortened to 3-4 inches below waist heigth (never put my hands in the loops, didn't like it). As you walk you can just "flip" the poles with no energy in arm movement or energy to "push off". Uphill vs down only required a small adjustment. When I found my sweet spots, there were 2 different wear marks on the poles and I always new exactly where to set them for up vs down. Of course, I got lots of " your an idiot " looks and heard all the way to Maine how I was doing it wrong. However, I did have 3 outfitters tell me," Now that's how your supposed to use hiking poles". Worked for me, and, if you fall you can just let go-and not break a wrist.

I second the advice to check out Pacer Poles. Absolutely love mine.

At any rate, i love hiking with the poles. Once I settle into a good rythym, I start feeling like a quadraped; the poles an extension of my arms as legs, and when my weight starts to shift and balance forward, I begin to lean into it, I feel lighter.

S

I use the straps the "wrong" way. It infuriates Elder. I think he wants to slap me every time he sees me......

I just can't get used to having the straps in my palm. It bugs me. The "wrong" way has the straps on the outside, which I prefer.

For rugged areas (risk of falling) I don't use the straps at all. If I'm going down I don't want to increase the risk of a broken thumb. I want to be able to toss the poles.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

A simple way to find out that you are using the straps correctly is to note that they are going over the backs of your wrists, not the front, and that you can push off using the straps only (again, the pressure will be on the back of your wrists, not the front).
    Google a website on cross country skiing. The technique is the same for XC skiing (which is how I learned to use poles correctly - about the same time the Earth was cooling ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Keep It Simple

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    This short video is how I learned the correct/best way to use trekking poles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA
    The video was interesting Mountain Wildman, but I don't know any long distance hiker who stops to continually adjust their trekking poles "based on the terrain" as depicted in the video. Makes no sense to me. In PUD country you'd drive yourself mad!

Also, I don't adhere to physically adjusting poles to the common "arm at 90 degree" angle recommendation.

What I do is adjust my poles slightly lower, then adjust the pole tilt angle during the hike. No need to stop and adjust when on an up or downhill.

In other words, placing the tip of the pole more forward or behind your legs automatically compensates for pole length adjustment no matter what terrain your on!
    Last edited by Spokes; 12-09-2010 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I use the straps the "wrong" way. It infuriates Elder. I think he wants to slap me every time he sees me......

I just can't get used to having the straps in my palm. It bugs me. The "wrong" way has the straps on the outside, which I prefer.

For rugged areas (risk of falling) I don't use the straps at all. If I'm going down I don't want to increase the risk of a broken thumb. I want to be able to toss the poles.
    It doesn't "infuriate " me, it make me sad when they are miss used and used in a dangerous way.
    Reaching through to the grip hangs you up, and does not allow your hands to relax. That is how you break thumbs.
    And, like Pacer poles requires you hold on all the time.
    Pacers put your hand in a specific/restricted position..and has no strap.
    The correct usage is from below, up through and down...like skiers, is THE safest and most relaxed method.
    The Leki Aergon grip is the most comfortable...by design.
    The Aergon allows you to rotate over the grip without effort and with complete control.

And Yes, I am the Leki rep.
    Doing it wrong..when you know better, is YOUR choice. Please do NOT suggest it to others....
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    And Yes, I am the Leki rep.
    Doing it wrong..when you know better, is YOUR choice. Please do NOT suggest it to others....
    I didn't suggest it to others. I admitted to holding it wrong.

I'll keep trying..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneP View Post
    How do most of you hold your sticks?

S
    I hold mine, most of the time, the way you describe. I think I first heard of it on PBF. HOwever, if I'm going down a steep decline, I'll flat-palm the top of the hand grip.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

I use the poles as demonstrated in the video, placing my hands through from the bottom and allowing the weight to fall on the strap, eliminating the need to grip the pole and place my poles alternating with my feet just as demonstrated in the video but in high risk of falling situations I don't use the straps at all as I want to be able to get rid of the poles if I fall. Also, if you see a bear or a dog you may want to slip your hands out of the straps in case you have to fight with your knife or whatever you can get your hands on. Hiking poles aren't good clubs...lol.. But, I suppose whatever is most comfortable to the individual hiker is the correct way for that person..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    ... I don't know any long distance hiker who stops to continually adjust their trekking poles "based on the terrain" as depicted in the video. Makes no sense to me. In PUD country you'd drive yourself mad! ...
    Doubtless that's true, Spokes, but I've gotta say I did this the other day on a short, steep-graded there-and-back hike and it worked wonders on the descent. Nice arrow to have in the quiver. ...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    The video was interesting Mountain Wildman, but I don't know any long distance hiker who stops to continually adjust their trekking poles "based on the terrain" as depicted in the video. Makes no sense to me. In PUD country you'd drive yourself mad!

Also, I don't adhere to physically adjusting poles to the common "arm at 90 degree" angle recommendation.

What I do is adjust my poles slightly lower, then adjust the pole tilt angle during the hike. No need to stop and adjust when on an up or downhill.

In other words, placing the tip of the pole more forward or behind your legs automatically compensates for pole length adjustment no matter what terrain your on!
    The adjustments are an individual choice according to what a person is comfortable with, The usage of the strap is the real benefit.
    The foam section below the grips allow additional gripping area without constant adjustments on my Black Diamond Poles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++