Default Recommendation for Good Hiking Skirt

Hi,

This is my first post on White Blaze! I plan on hiking the AT this year with my boyfriend - starting in early April. I know it'll be cold the first couple of weeks, but once it's warmer I'd like to hike in a skirt. Any recommendations? Much appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Cora

Hike smarter, not harder.

Mountain Hardware Mountain Kilt. It goes both ways.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I hike in skirts, both in cold, warm and rainy weather. Different skirts though. So far I've made all of mine. My winter skirt is black, supplex with a coating to resist water. It's also made like a kilt (I used about 5 yards of material and pleated it). It's longer too than the "normal" length of kilt. Works out very well with a pair of wool thermal leggings on. Summer time, I made a "kilt like" skirt. It's also pleated but the top has a waist band with a draw-string. This is made from Wal-mart fabric (looks like camo ripstop nylon). I also made a wrap skirt from waterproof ripstop nylon that works well as a rain skirt and doubles as a ground protection and a wrap for my backpack or to just throw over my hammock as extra protection from wind/rain/cold. My black winter kilt is heavy but since I'm wearing it, I don't notice it's weight. I also have wool kilts but found that if they get wet, well, they take forever to dry and weigh a ton. I will wear them if it's absolutley not gonna rain. I only pack them for car-camping type trips. I've found that a good thing to also pack if you're gonna wear a skirt/kilt is "body glide". Pick some up and make sure you have it with you. I prefer wearing skirts/kilts when hiking. Try to go on a couple of short trips to try out new outfits/gear, before you're out on the AT having to depend on your gear.

TinaLouise

Images

ibex wool hiking tee keeps you warm as well as cool and you want get a funky body smell

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

check out making one out of a pair of umbro soccer shorts. I've seen a few made and they're not bad.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Default Running Skirts

I'm planning on section hiking this summer, and have been looking into hiking skirts too. You might want to check out running skirt brands such as sportskirt (marathon girl or gymgirl) or sugoi... here's a link to a Runner's World gear review on skirts:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...2738-0,00.html

I run in a sugoi skirt which causes chafing if I don't use bodyglide, but a running skirt with a longer inseam undershort may not cause chafing. Also, 6pm.com has had good deals on running skirts in the past.

I hiked the AT this year in a skirt, colder weather had me wearing merino wool tights underneath and in summer boy leg nickers very comfortable. I tried the kilt from mountain hardware but found the fabric and overall weight very heavy (for me) at only 5ft and 120 lbs so a light weight skirt with either a drawcord waist or elastic is a great way to hike. Two skirts one for town and one to hike in worked well.

Trouble with a lot of skirts out there is they are really shorts with a skirt appearance. I like a real skirt. I have found that combing the thrift stores I can sometimes find suitable shirts, sometimes even brands like Patagonia or Northface. Sometimes these are actually unsuitable for hiking, cut too narrow it's hard to even walk up stairs. So I will alter them. I think so long as the fabric is durable, light and quick to dry, it really doesn't matter if the skirt was originally designed for hiking or not. I have to admit I really really wanted a Utilikilt for a while, though.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Trouble with a lot of skirts out there is they are really shorts with a skirt appearance. I like a real skirt. I have found that combing the thrift stores I can sometimes find suitable shirts, sometimes even brands like Patagonia or Northface. Sometimes these are actually unsuitable for hiking, cut too narrow it's hard to even walk up stairs. So I will alter them. I think so long as the fabric is durable, light and quick to dry, it really doesn't matter if the skirt was originally designed for hiking or not. I have to admit I really really wanted a Utilikilt for a while, though.
    I also have found great skirts in thrift shops, currently I'm hiking in a merino wool skirt (very light merino) that I altered by adding a split in the sides with an inner panel like a pleat.

I found a stretchy synthetic skirt either in a thrift store or at TJ Maxx or something. I wore tights when it was cold and spandex shorts underneath in warm weather. Spandex shorts solves the thigh chafing and potential flashing of anyone while taking breaks

Images

The Mountain Hardwear Kilt is GREAT! On the AT (unlike other hobbies like biking, running, walking) requires a tough fabric. I would not wear a kilt in sub freezing weather but for the other 3 seasons I am sold on wearing this kilt. And for a guys-guy that is a bold statement.

Images

I converted to kilts after hiking with gpcgirl. Hey GPC! I like the Mtn.Hardware, because it seems bombproof. The cargo pockets are in the right place. I liked the length also.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was worried that the inner shorts with a lot of the skirts (aka "skorts") was going to be a problem regarding cleanliness. I was planning on a skirt and switching out the underwear every couple of days. Does that sound about right. I hear three pairs of underwear is sufficient.

I'm planning to wear the same bike shorts I work out in under synthetic wrap-around skirts I found at goodwill. I know they will be comfy, nothing will dry quicker and the skirts are above the knee and kind of cute.

I just got the Athleta Cya running skirt (on sale, so much cheaper than usual) and absolutely love it!! I've been hiking in it with tights underneath. It's lightweight fabric and it doesn't have built in undies or shorts, which is excellent. And, it's kind of cute.

++ New Posts ++