WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Where in the west are goretex boots "perfect" ?? I live in western WA, and don't find them to be perfect at all. For climbing a real, true mountain then I want boots, but for that I might incline towards plastic climbing boots. For pretty much everything else I'd go with non-goretex trail runners.

In terms of a 32F vs. 20F bag: based on a late Feb start for me this year, I suggest that a 32F bag won't be enough for most people for a March 1st departure. I don't know if March 15th would be enough time beyond that to make it credible or not.
    I live in NC and have spent considerable time in the higher mountains here in March and there's no way I go there in March at 5000 + feet with a 32 degree bag, nor a 20 degree bag for that matter. I've seen it around 10 degrees to even 0 degrees here that time of year all too often. I carry a 0 bag in the mts of NC throughout the winters. You can always leave it partly unzipped for the 20 to 30 degree nights. The weather here is just too inconsistent, but we surely can't carry 3 different bags to match the weather here like we really need to. It can be anything from 0 to 50 or 60 degrees.

That's about where by base weight was;around 45ish total with food and water. Yeah, I made it all the way. However, I did have some knee problems along the way. In fact, I still have problems to this day (I do believe this is from being pack heavy). Looking back I really wish I would have shaved off some lbs. Next time.....

Images

Default goretex

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Where in the west are goretex boots "perfect" ?? I live in western WA, and don't find them to be perfect at all. For climbing a real, true mountain then I want boots, but for that I might incline towards plastic climbing boots. For pretty much everything else I'd go with non-goretex trail runners.

In terms of a 32F vs. 20F bag: based on a late Feb start for me this year, I suggest that a 32F bag won't be enough for most people for a March 1st departure. I don't know if March 15th would be enough time beyond that to make it credible or not.
    Sorry, bad choice of word. Instead, I should have said "in general". Back east, we would be in your "everything else" category.

The bag might depend on the make, like WM v. NF. A true 20 bag would probably get him through, albeit with some uncomfortable nights that can be accounted for in other ways.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

i've had my water bottle freeze overnight inside my sleeping bag in april in georgia before. don't underestimate it.

Quote Originally Posted by busch View Post
    20 degree bag in April? That suggestion has me a bit worried. I just picked up a 32degree bag and was planning on using a liner; I'm leaving in either March 1st or March 15th depending on the weather. I'm assuming that with a nice down will keep me alive on cold nights.
    I'm also struggling with what to bring for a sleep system. Currently going with a JRB Sierra Sniveler quilt, rated for 25-30 degrees, which will keep me warm (with other layers worn) to low 20's. Leaving 4/9 NOBO. I'd want something even warmer for a March start, based on everything I've heard.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I'm also struggling with what to bring for a sleep system. Currently going with a JRB Sierra Sniveler quilt, rated for 25-30 degrees, which will keep me warm (with other layers worn) to low 20's. Leaving 4/9 NOBO. I'd want something even warmer for a March start, based on everything I've heard.
    I agree, from everything I read about NOBO's in March last year was that they were better off with snowshoes and ski's than boots and a pack. Luckily I live in VA and we're going to get some pretty cold temperatures here in the next few days. That'll allow me to test out layering and see what will keep me alive. I'm hoping a Montbell UL down inner, along with a base layer and a liner will keep me fairly comfortable down into the teens. One of two things will happen; 1: I'll gain confidence in layering or 2: I'll get my ass kicked. I snagged the Phantom yesterday because I got an incredible deal that I didn't want to pass up, I'm hoping it'll serve me well in March.

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

Thanks for the input everyone. You guys have actually been a really great help, and so has this web site in general.

Regarding the trail runners, I don't know. At this point I will stick with my Asolo Fugitives. I mean they are a light boot, not a full leather upper or anything. They breathe well and have kept my feet dry in the past, even on the Olympic coast stepping in tide-pools and getting dumped on for days. I have some trail runners that I will keep on stand-by. I'll have my brother ship them to me if the boots don't work out, or I think I just need the change.

Ive decided to go with my 20 degree bag and just use heavy base-layers and perhaps a liner. When the weather warms up I'll switch to a 30 or 40 degree.

I've decided to go with a smaller pack. Sometime in the next month I will grab all my stuff and go to REI and see what I can fit my gear in to. Honestly I'm leaning toward the Flash 50, because it's only 150.0, and its a scant 2 pounds. Plus I have big dividends from REI this year, so I would really like to buy from there if at all possible.

The question I've been pondering today is weather I should check my pack with the airline or just ship it via Fedex or UPS. I'm thinking about reserving a spot with this Hikers Hostel joint Ive been reading about, and just shipping my pack there. That way I don't have to worry about baggage handlers trashing my pack. Anyone got any tips there?

If it were me, I would ship my pack/gear via UPS or Fed-Ex. It would probably make it through the airline baggage system intact and unmolested but why take the chance if you have a more reliable option available.

Good luck on your hike!

I think its a great idea. I have hiked from W VA to New Jersy and parts of NY. I'm going to Georgia in March to start my hike. I'm going to attempt to do the bottom half. Your pack should weigh about 25% of your body weight. Don't worry about food. You can pick up food right off the trail throughout. There is an excellent supply information on here that will tell you where to get supplies. Plus the guide book helps too. I wouldn't worry about maps because you follow white blazes. I would bring a compass though just in case. But the maps are expensive and worthless. Its all mental. Make sure you have good trail shoes and I would bring some "new skin" for blisters. Wear two pairs of socks and keep your feet dry as much as possible. Don't wear cotton and good luck and God's speed. Maybe see you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wolf View Post
    Your pack should weigh about 25% of your body weight. Don't worry about food.
    HOLY _____!!!

No way am I carrying a 50lb+ pack that does not even contain food. LOL

Maybe a 25 lb pack, but no where near 25% of body weight. Maybe if you are a petite female, but not for a full grown man.
    Hike your own Hike

Sherpas? We don't need no stinkin' sherpas.

Default Bring maps

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wolf View Post
    ....I wouldn't worry about maps because you follow white blazes. I would bring a compass though just in case. But the maps are expensive and worthless. .....
    I disagree. Maps are not "worthless" and will be of particular use if some emergency forces you to leave the trail. They don't take up much space, don't weigh much, and are well-worth taking.

I'd say a compass is more "worthless" than a map. Without a map, the Trail goes north, right? Just follow your compass. Wrong. The Trail twists and turns, often going south for little stretches.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its projected to be cold in the east this winter, so I'd plan for a cold March if you start then right through April.

Agree with Cookerhiker. You wouldn't say maps are useless if you were in New England this past summer with the drought and needed a good water source (not beaver-related) that my dear old map provided, thanks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I disagree. Maps are not "worthless" and will be of particular use if some emergency forces you to leave the trail. They don't take up much space, don't weigh much, and are well-worth taking.

I'd say a compass is more "worthless" than a map. Without a map, the Trail goes north, right? Just follow your compass. Wrong. The Trail twists and turns, often going south for little stretches.
    I agree 100%. It's the AT, not the middle of Africa, it goes North and South.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

While you're shopping, try Mountain Gear (pretty big selection, mostly knowledgable people) and Mountain Goat (on Sprague, limited selection but some deals at times).

I now mostly use trail runners in this area and like them. They dry pretty fast.

Seething with envy,

FB
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I decided to do the trail in 2009 in March, quit my job the next month and was on the trail April 15th. Just go do it, you won't regret it!

Feral Bill, you're from Spokane! Whats up brother?

Dude I tried Mountain Gear and wasn't very impressed, but I'll give it another shot. I've been meaning to check out that joint in Coeur D Alene, Tri-State Outfitters. Been there yet?

Also, Feral Bill about the trail runners. I'm sure you've hiked that Liberty Lake loop? Last Spring a beaver damned Liberty Creek and it flooded a large land area at the beginning of the trail turning the whole place into a marsh. I was hiking with my buddy Roby, he was wearing brand new New Balance trail runners, and they were soaked. He did the whole 7 miles with soaking wet feet, and I was dry as a bone. The whole time I kept thinking, "Thank God I wore my boots." I don't know, maybe that experience is why I'm so hesitant to wear them...

Images

We are all nuts!!!! But go for it. I plan on trying it as well, because I'm not getting enough of the trail. As for boots, I'm not doing them. A tent is a must (don't like the little friends). Go for it. Don't over plan.

scope said:
    "The bag might depend on the make, like WM v. NF. A true 20 bag would probably get him through, albeit with some uncomfortable nights that can be accounted for in other ways."
    Agreed, this is exactly what I did this year --- 20F WM bag, but with substantial clothing to wear in side the bag (for me, a down parka, cap 1 long johns, down booties). Worked great, and this year got reasonably cold, multiple nights down into the teens for me with a late Feb start.

writeronthestorm wrote:
    "I'm thinking about reserving a spot with this Hikers Hostel joint Ive been reading about, and just shipping my pack there. That way I don't have to worry about baggage handlers trashing my pack. Anyone got any tips there?"
    I did exactly that, and it worked great, I'd go that route again; often airlines are charging for checked baggage anyway.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

go for it it is a great experience

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++