WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: SOBO May 2011

Post SOBO May 2011

Hey, my name is Lis and I have been planning a south bound thru hike to start in may. I am looking for anyone that would want to hike it with me. I am graduating college in may and really am looking forward to getting out there. I have moderate hiking experience and have been training by doing ultra hikes/ultra trail runs. I am really easy to get along with and think I would make a good trail companion soo...If you are interested in thru hiking with me shoot me back here or email me at [email protected].

You'll meet people as you hike, if you're starting in May the numbers will be extremely low. . . but prearranged hiking partners is a recipe for disaster. . . meet them naturally as you go. . .

Lis.......Depending on what time you start in May, you may run into problems. There is still quite a bit of snow in the higher elevations along the Trail in Maine which results in a couple of problems. First, the snow is slow to leave, especially in the dense spruce and fir growth where little, if any, sun shines through. Second, the resulting meltoff makes for extremely dangerous river and stream fords, of which, you will encounter many in Maine. Maine has a no bridging policy (so many bridges we built were washed away due to ice jams and high run off, we decided to not build anymore). Another consideration is that Baxter State Park doesn't usually officially open until the third week or so in May. Another consideration is that many of the MATC Volunteer Trail maintainers haven't been out yet (logging roads impassable because they don't get plowed, plus the same reasons I noted above). Most of the maintainers are out and about around Memorial weekend or the first part of June; it all depends on how much snow we get (and we get a lot!). Plan, also, for wet feet every day as the Trail is still going to be wet and muddy. May and June are typically the rainy season, so you will have to deal with quite a few uncomfortable experiances right off the bat. As far as meeting other hikers, best advice is the earlier reply. You will meet others along the way, so not to worry about little or no company. Plan for late May or, chances are, you won't get very far.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hope the weather cooperates for you. But it will be a tough one starting that early. Though this past year, it was perfect for an early start. But unusual. Maine didn't have that much snow. Though even in July the 100 mile wilderness had its share of mud, etc. Hate to think what its like in May. And the river crossings (the one in Baxter is no picnic)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I started SOBO on May 28th. this year. Our spring in New England was 3 weeks early, Maine had a very light snow year, the trails were in great shape except for a few blow downs - mud was minimal and the infamous bugs were only an issue a couple of times, I only put Bens on a couple of times. Fords were no more than knee deep at best (exception to the norm). My daughter started SOBO the same time last year and throughly enjoyed one of the wettest Junes on record. I climbed Katahdin the same time both last year and this and there was no snow to speak of. The main thing starting this early is - there are no hikers to hook up with. The only women I saw were Whoopie Pie at Hurd Brook Shelter and a day hiker on Haystack until Andover. I met only a total 3 or 4 people north of Monson, and only a dozen or 2 total until NH. I hooked up with (2) in Stratton and (2) in Gorham we would meet in the evening only. Last year, my daughter was in a "bubble" of about 10 hikers (3) of whom finished within a couple of days of them and have become close friends. There were some big blowdowns to deal with. All trail services were operating and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the NOBO's and a great help especially Dawn at Shaw's. I did encounter a considerable amount of rain, it rained 2 out every 3 days in Maine.
    hope this helps, do not let this deter in any way from your goal just enjoy the walk it is soo beautiful.

I did a presidential traverse in May it was mothers day and and we had a ton of snow 2' - 8'+ from 3,200' up to tree line then it was mixed ice/rock/snow. typical white mountain stuff.

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, info really helped out. Think I'm gonna adjust my plans and shoot for starting in Georgia. See ya out there

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I will be starting SOBO mid to late june. If you still decide to go south, maybe I will see you out there. If north, I will definately see you (briefly). Happy trails!

++ New Posts ++